Moderne by Maki Role - Finished and Final Photos! - Update 08/06/15 - Page 4

Maki Role

How old is he? I want to know....

On topic: That actually looks like shit, sorry but it does  :P

I'm 22 :)

Yeah it does look pretty rubbish, definitely going to sort that out.

Are you gonna be playing GTAV on this machine?

No, I think he's going to play it on Loramentum

Actually I'll be playing on my main rig, which is better suited for it thanks to running SLI titans along with a 3930k @ 4.7GHz. Still not sure whether I'll be playing it at 4k though, may not have enough grunt for everything at consistent framerates.

Finished Projects: Loramentum, VesperModerne, ExsectusAetos

Current Project: Parvum Argentum

Actually I'll be playing on my main rig, which is better suited for it thanks to running SLI titans along with a 3930k @ 4.7GHz. Still not sure whether I'll be playing it at 4k though, may not have enough grunt for everything at consistent framerates.

Thats sounds beter, I already was like wow if GTAV is that well optimized

Your rig will be fine for 4k because mine's the same really. 3970x stock atm with SLI Titan Black and it runs butter smooth.

Bummer about the paint man. I had the same happen to me before. I clear coated my car's tail lights and packed them in bubble wrap to take them home a few hours later. Odd pock marks lol.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Thats sounds beter, I already was like wow if GTAV is that well optimized

Interestingly enough it might be possible to run it on a NUC (maybe not this particular model mind). I saw a reddit post where some guy managed to get it running on his 2012 MacBook Pro using the integrated graphics. Obviously everything was massively turned down but it did run at a steady 20-30fps. Sadly I can't really test it out soon though as the SSD I was given is too small, although I might look at it once I've got some external storage set up.

Not good  :(

No not good, but at least it's not a disaster. Wouldn't be a proper log without at least some drama though :D

Your rig will be fine for 4k because mine's the same really. 3970x stock atm with SLI Titan Black and it runs butter smooth. Bummer about the paint man. I had the same happen to me before. I clear coated my car's tail lights and packed them in bubble wrap to take them home a few hours later. Odd pock marks lol.

Yeah I downloaded yesterday and gave it a short spin. Rather uncharacteristically I didn't have any issues, it downloaded in under an hour and got running in 4k no questions asked. Went and bumped all the settings up, switched AA off (don't really need it at that res IMO) and all was working very smoothly. Feels good to finally have a gaming use for that 6GB of VRAM, was getting bored of filling it with particle systems :P

I'm 22 :)

Oh, well i thought he meant like really young, so I kinda imagined you as a 12 year old :P

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE!

So this is the final working update for this log. The case is all finished and operational, just waiting on Antony and the main reveal in order to post the final pics. So until then, let's have a look at what was done in the meantime:

Picked up a new camera! Should be a lot of fun down the line, still very much getting used to the additional capabilities though. In time I'll adapt and push it further.

stUkCa.jpg

Corsair sent me a trunk full of stuff, big cheers to Antony for making this possible!

dciWGS.jpg

T1tKtY.jpg

Turns out this is what you get it you strip off the insulation and shielding from a USB 3.0 extension

IPKAS3.jpg

Painted the switch so that it fits in better.

Wuwwye.jpg

And here's a pic of my cat to tide you over until the final pics can be posted :)

uM43sY.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

@Maki Role

I am loving all your projects, and congrats on the callout on the WAN show!

Anyways, how do you get the CAD files for the parts of your build(s)? (unless you are making them yourself, which would be madness.) I'm just starting to get into Blender and those sorts of programs, and I'm planning a build with a custom case as well.

Keep up the good work,

Ben

If I've said something wrong, please correct me

My Builds:

Peripherals: 
Keyboard: Roccat TKL Pro Cherry MX blue, Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD, Headset: Currently apple earbuds, planning to upgrade to hyperx cloud or hyperx cloud 2 
Really Old Desktop 
 Processor: Intel Core i7 920, Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-FX58-DS4, RAM: 9GB Corsair XM3 (3*3GB in triple channel) 600 or 800mhz, Graphics Card: Asus 8400GS passive, Asus GT630 4GB if i can get it working, Case: Cheapo Throwout case with most of the standoffs missing, HDD: Some old 80GB hard drive, PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 550w, Monitor: 32" Kogan TV, OS: Fedora 13 
 Laptop Which I Use For Everything: 
Processor: Intel Core i5 3337U, RAM: 8GB (2*4GB) 1600MHZ, Graphics Card: Nvidia 710m HDD/SSD: WD Black2 Dual Drive, OS: Windows 8.1 
 40 GB/s Network Tester
Processor: Some really good Intel Core i3, Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3, Ram: Corsair Value Select 4GB (2*2GB) 1600MHZ, Graphics Card: Integrated, Case: Some 1U rackmount mini-itx case with no front bays, HDD: Seagate Momentus 5400, 250GB 2.5" 5400RPM, PSU: Enchance 250W 80+ Bronze 1U power supply, CPU cooler: Cooljag double ball bearing 1U cooler (70DB! 70DB!), NIC: Mellanox 40Gb/s QSFP+ PCIe 3.0 8x NIC, Monitor: any ones lying around, or 32" Kogan TV, OS: CentOS 6.2 (I Think)
Planned 100Gb/s Newtork Tester
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790k, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Impact, Ram: Kingston or G.Skill 8GB 2400MHZ Low Profile, Graphics Card: Integrated, Case: 1U Rackmount ITX case, HDD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB, PSU: Enchance 250W 80+ Bronze 1U power supply, CPU cooler: Cooljag double ball bearing 1U cooler (70DB! 70DB!), NIC: Mellanox 100Gb/s PCIe 3.0 16x NIC, Monitor: Any lying around or 32" Kogan TV, OS: Fedora 22 or CentOS

@Maki Role

I am loving all your projects, and congrats on the callout on the WAN show!

Anyways, how do you get the CAD files for the parts of your build(s)? (unless you are making them yourself, which would be madness.) I'm just starting to get into Blender and those sorts of programs, and I'm planning a build with a custom case as well.

Keep up the good work,

Ben

Cheers!

I actually make almost all of my models from scratch, the exception is this project where Intel provided a .step file of the NUC being used to help the entrants. All of the models for Loramentum, Vesper and Azure were done from scratch just with a pair of vernier calipers. It's actually quite simple when you get the knack of it. Most computer components are fairly simple in their construction, using basic shapes for the most part. More complex parts like motherboards are very modular as that's how they're made in real life, as such you can model them in the same way. It's pretty much just about working out which method with which to approach an object.

Best of luck with your new case!

To everybody else, sorry for no pictures :( The competition final pieces still haven't been featured yet so I can't post them, getting rather tempting just to stick them up tbh. On the other hand, Intel have apparently said they want to exhibit the NUCs this year so it should get some cool exposure at some shows. I've paired it up downstairs with a 6TB USB 3 external drive, makes for a great Plex server and backup.

• 2 weeks later...

And finally the main event is here! All the projects have now had their covers lifted over on Bit-Tech so I can at last post the photos here. Hope they all live up to expectations!

KSF62m.jpg

FiBeef.jpg

6orORV.jpg

WaBt8P.jpg

mWlk9V.jpg

uperjE.jpg

KjJfDh.jpg

u3sENj.jpg

JXovcj.jpg

If you happen to have an account on Bit-Tech and feel like lending a hand, the voting page can be found here.  There are some really impressive entries so I really will be needing every single vote I can muster!

Looks nice

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Since you couldn't I did it for you, tasted like the sound of one hand clapping :/

thanks a lot for doing it in my place, i will just like it now instead and dream of doing something alike someday.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.