How much will an amp/dac improove my audio experience?

IMPERIUS

Hi!

I'm currently using on-board audio on my h81 mobo with my razer electras. I don't hear any background hissing or any other distorsions. However, I might upgrade to something like an audiotechica m40x or m50 or something similar witin that price range.

So how much would I benefit from buying an amp/dac? I doubt I will be hearing any hissing or anything but I don't want to waste the headphone's potencial.

What would you do? Buy an amp or nah?

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

No amps, No DACs. Unless you want to spend couple of thousands of dollars for those expensive ones to hear tiny improvements.

Get better headphones, and hear the bigger differences. That's my personal experience with Amps and Dacs under $400. They're not worth it.

I'd only get an amp/dac if you notice anything that doesn't sound right when you get your new headphones.

edit: or buy better headphones with the money you save not buying an amp/dac combo

Woo!

No amps, No DACs. Unless you want to spend couple of thousands of dollars for those expensive ones to hear tiny improvements.

Get better headphones, and hear the bigger differences. That's my personal experience with Amps and Dacs under $400. They're not worth it.

I'd only get an amp/dac if you notice anything that doesn't sound right when you get your new headphones.

edit: or buy better headphones with the money you save not buying an amp/dac combo

What about those cheap 30-50$ amps? Are they really useless? I mean they should improove audio, not anything mindblowing but still a minor difference?

Unless you're buying a set of headphones that require an amp/dac, then you don't need to get one. It's as simple as that. 

If you did get one, the Fiio E10K would be the best bet as a cheap one. But for something like the M50s, or especially the M40s, a amp / dac is most certainly not needed. 

Now if you were driving a 250Ohm or something crazy like 600ohm headphones, then you should look at getting an amp (and perhaps dac). 

CPU i5 4430 3Ghz | Ram: 16GB DDR3 1600 | GPU: GTX 650 Ti 1GB | Mobo: H87N-Wifi | Case: White Bitfenix Prodigy | Boot Drive: 120GB 840 Evo (Mac OS X) 120gb OCZ Vertex 3 (Windows) | Games Drive: 640GB WD Green | OS: Windows 8 & OS X 10.9.1

I love all technology. The perfection of macs for my designer side, and the hardware and fun of tinkering on the of the pc side. We can have it all, just not at the same time.

I've only recommended DAC/AMPs when you're using really high end headphones that can't be powered by your output jack (very few occassions where this happens). Other than that no need. What headphones are you using?

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

I've only recommended DAC/AMPs when you're using really high end headphones that can't be powered by your output jack (very few occassions where this happens). Other than that no need. What headphones are you using?

Currently razer electra but will upgrade sooner or later to an ath-m40/m50x or similar

Currently razer electra but will upgrade sooner or later to an ath-m40/m50x or similar

The m50x's sound good without a DAC/Amp. I own the M50's and M50x's and both sound great. They do get uncomfortable to wear after a long while.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

The m50x's sound good without a DAC/Amp. I own the M50's and M50x's and both sound great. They do get uncomfortable to wear after a long while.

Why? Are they too heavy? Is the headband thin? Are the earcups too tight or too small or have too little padding?

Why? Are they too heavy? Is the headband thin? Are the earcups too tight or too small or have too little padding?

They're fairly light, thick headband, comfortable earcups on the X (the originals get ugly and hard over time) and have a lot of padding, but the metal band that holds the set together squeezes your head into oblivion, at least on the original m50's. The X's still squeeze your head, but it is a lot more bearable over time.

Love the headphones, but I refuse to use it for more than 2-3 hrs at a time.lol

They're fairly light, thick headband, comfortable earcups on the X (the originals get ugly and hard over time) and have a lot of padding, but the metal band that holds the set together squeezes your head into oblivion, at least on the original m50's. The X's still squeeze your head, but it is a lot more bearable over time.

Love the headphones, but I refuse to use it for more than 2-3 hrs at a time.lol

So the x is like an improoved version? I thought the only difference was in the cable

So the x is like an improoved version? I thought the only difference was in the cable

They improved upon the complaints a lot of people had with the originals.They changed the sound a bit, seems a bit flatter. They made the band looser. They dont feel as skull crushing as the original. They're lighter. And the cups are signficantly more comfortable. The detachable cables are a plus. You get 3 in the box.

I wouldn't get an amp. If you are really curious, a Fiio E6, SMSL Fort or Syba would be good options to get your feet wet, but they may not be noticeably better than your motherboard.

What about those cheap 30-50$ amps? ... I mean they should improove audio

Why do you think they should improve the audio?

Why do you think the should improve the audio?

They can follow the waveform more closely.

They can follow the waveform more closely.

Sometimes you want the waveform to be a little skewed though.

Sometimes you want the waveform to be a little skewed though.

Your waveform is skewed.