Why do you pay $5000 for an Intel Xeon?

I was looking at PC Part Picker and an AMD A6-6420K costs $75 and is 4Ghz. Then the Intel Xeon E5-2699 V3 costs $5149 and it is 2.3Ghz. I know there are major quality differences etc, but holy crap thats a large price and Gigahertz difference.

OLD-SCHOOL - Intel Pentium 4 SL6WF with HYPERTHREADING! - ACER 651M03-6L Mobo - Saphire R9600 PRO 256mb AGP Card - 2gb DDR - 40gb IDE HDD - 430w PSU

More Ghz does NOT mean better performance... 

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

its for server grade hardware

a gamer wont say i wish my player was 0.002 decimals left so it would be perfect

servers need precision like minecraft servers if a small error happens the entire srver might be down for some time 

They're not really meant for consumers.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

You can't exactly compare CPU's in GHz...

XEONs are also meant for different stuff.

By the way, the AMD one has 2 cores and the XEON has 18 cores. And 36 total because hyperthreading...

@Charlie Clarke

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

because that little apu/cpu is worth 75 dollars and that xeon is worth the 5k. 

plain and simple they have different uses, and the one that the xeon is used in is for people who have a shitton of moeny to spend.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Man, if CPUs were compared by GHz my 8320 would be at 5.0GHz months ago, and I would be laughing at all you intel fools.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Man, if CPUs were compared by GHz my 8320 would be at 5.0GHz months ago, and I would be laughing at all you intel fools.

if GHz was the only thing that mattered i'd have my sempy 145 at 8.97 like me and a friend got it a few months back. (combination of stolent ln2 drugs and ice. dont ask) (mind you we melted the motherboard and set fire to the whole setup but the twelve seconds that we saw those three digits were fucking amazing) 

because, really architexture and eficiency dont matter if you can get it going fast enough. 

the thing is, if speed was all that mattered we wouldnt have big ocean liners and large trucks moving things. we'de just have insanely hyped up steriod horses and wagons.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Not all GHz are the same.

For example, 10 years ago, CPU's were starting to hit above 3GHz. But if you compare it to a CPU today with the same clockspeed, the older CPU doesn't even come close. (This is also why 8 core AMD chips aren't nearly as powerful as a 5960x)

CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro // CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @4.2GHz // GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 Reference // RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport @1333MHz // MOBOASUS P8Z77-V LK // SPACE: 240GB Crucial M500 SSD ~ WD Black 1TB // PSU: Corsair CX750M //

CASE: Cooler Master Elite 130 // CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 @4.0GHz // GPU: N/A // RAM: 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport @1600MHz // MOBOEVGA Z87 Stinger Mini-ITX // SPACE: OCZ ARC 100 120GB SSD ~ [2X WD Black 2TB in RAID 1] // PSU: EVGA 430W //

You can't exactly compare CPU's in GHz...

XEONs are also meant for different stuff.

By the way, the AMD one has 2 cores and the XEON has 18 cores. And 36 total because hyperthreading...

@Charlie Clarke

Hyperthreading is not extra cores.

CPUs used to be comparable by their clock speed, (we're talking like, fifteen years ago) but that hasn't been the case since the pentium III and the Athlon64.

Nowadays what matters is how well a CPU can do its job, and IPC is mattering more and more nowadays. Cache size and speed has no meaning anymore.

As for the $5000 Xeon, it has 15 cores/30 threads, so it's getting 2.3GHz across all those delicious hyperthreaded cores, and it's capable of far greater RCP than any consumer-grade processor. There's no overclocking those things though. it's enough trouble keeping them cooled in the first place.

You needn't worry, though. No consumer has any need for 15 cores and 30 threads. These processors are bought and used for huge, wealthy companies who have the computational needs of that much power, and the financial wherewithal to justify their exorbitant cost. That money goes to Intel, who puts it into R&D for their next processor lineup, which benefits the consumer enormously. If they didn't charge thousands of dollars for their top-tier products, we would still be on Core 2 Duos at the moment.

''away from the food analogiez and into the real world''

........ you dont just invite friends over for candy eating binge parties.????

jsut me...........???????

*hides under desk* kay.

-Jim Hensen

CPUs used to be comparable by their clock speed, (we're talking like, fifteen years ago) but that hasn't been the case since the pentium III and the Athlon64.

Nowadays what matters is how well a CPU can do its job, and IPC is mattering more and more nowadays. Cache size and speed has no meaning anymore.

As for the $5000 Xeon, it has 15 cores/30 threads, so it's getting 2.3GHz across all those delicious hyperthreaded cores, and it's capable of far greater RCP than any consumer-grade processor. There's no overclocking those things though. it's enough trouble keeping them cooled in the first place.

You needn't worry, though. No consumer has any need for 15 cores and 30 threads. These processors are bought and used for huge, wealthy companies who have the computational needs of that much power, and the financial wherewithal to justify their exorbitant cost. That money goes to Intel, who puts it into R&D for their next processor lineup, which benefits the consumer enormously. If they didn't charge thousands of dollars for their top-tier products, we would still be on Core 2 Duos at the moment.

well... i feel like core 2 duo and core 2 quad technology/preformance, no doubt they'd have changed the naming scheme. x'D

-Jim Hensen

watch?v=wnS50lJicXc

I know, not physical cores but they are seen as extra cores by software.

No need to link me video to prove that.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

yes , all them cores and all that cache .... i wish i had a dual xeon workstation lol

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

yes , all them cores and all that cache .... i wish i had a dual xeon workstation lol

baaaaarrrrnnnnnaaaaacccyyyoooollleeeeeeeezzzzzz

-Jim Hensen

Yes, but calling it "more cores" is sort of dumb.

But if you look in CPU Z you will see more cores.

36 is more than 18. That's a fact and there was nothing wrong with what I said.

But if you look in CPU Z you will see more cores.

36 is more than 18. That's a fact and there was nothing wrong with what I said.

CPU-Z sees it as more cores, but aside from the intelligent scheduling it does no processing of it own, so it adds nowhere near the kind of improved multi-thread performance that an actual core would.