Noctua NH-D15 or H110

PCSharkey

This will be going into a corsair 540 with a i7-4790k, Asus maximus ranger and a zotc gtx 780 AMP, I am hearing different reports, Which is quieter, Which performs and will the noctua be too bulky for the case or take up the first PCIE slot? If you could help me out it would be great. Thanks

The NH-D15 fouls the first PCI-E slot. If it's a 1x you're good. If it's somewhere you want to put a GPU... you're not so good and might want to look at the D14 instead.

Otherwise they're both good coolers, they both fit easily in the case. Just go with whatever you prefer the aesthetic of.

The NH-D15 performs a bit worse but is much quieter: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/noctua_nh_d15_review,11.html

It might block the top pcie slot but that shouldn't make much of a difference unless you need every slot. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The first pcie is one I don't plan on using will it take up the first pcie 16 z97-ranger-1-1280x1024.jpg

The first pcie is one I don't plan on using will it take up the first pcie 16 

No, it won't.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The first pcie is one I don't plan on using will it take up the first pcie 16 

My motherboard has a similiar layout in terms of PCIe.

The top PCIex1 slot will be blocked, but you can use the PCIex16 slot without any issues

This is how it will look

My motherboard has a similiar layout in terms of PCIe.

The top PCIex1 slot will be blocked, but you can use the PCIex16 slot without any issues

This is how it will look

Dat GPU sag :blink:

Dat GPU sag :blink:

I know. Should've taken the picture after removing the sound card.

The fan of the lower GPU hit the soundcard, so we had to ziptie the cards together, which obviously wasn't that great for the top GPU.

What I didn't take into account was, that since the sound cad takes up a PCIe lane, the CPU only supports upto 16 lanes and SLI needs both GPUs to run at at least PCIe8x, sound card made the GPUs run at 8x and 4x respectively. 

Now it lookes cleaner and it's better for the GPUs.

The Noctua has warranty on the fans for 6 years. AIOs have to be serviced earlier. Also: you can get Noctua mounting brackets for upcoming sockets.

If you want peace of mind: Noctua.