Some New AMD Carrizo Details

Opcode

There hasn't been much talk lately about Carrizo so why not.

In a recent video of Lisa Su talking about the future of the semiconductor technology she is found playing with a Carrizo engineering sample.

Revealing a close up shot of the top of the chip and it's strings.

3JzhRX1.png

The identification string is as follows.

ZM18B8C1Y4382

We can break down some of the string using the Bulldozer family identification information.

• Z = Brand
  • M = Mobile
  • 18B8 = Model (ES 1.8 GHz Base 3.4 GHz Turbo)
  • C1 = TDP (15w/35w)
  • Y = Package (FP4)
  • 4 = Cores (4 Cores)
  • 3 = Cache (1 MB L2 Per Module)
  • 82 = Stepping

amd should just go ahead and make an APU with quad core (latest architecture)  and a GPU equivalent to a 285 and DDR4 support

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Yeah sure, because that's possible right now.

It's possible, just not practical.

amd should just go ahead and make an APU with quad core (latest architecture)  and a GPU equivalent to a 285 and DDR4 support

Good luck dissipating the 285's heat though ^^ maybe when 20nm gpus actually become feasible...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I'm really excited for these :3

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Carizzo is a really weird name..... Sound Italian

Good luck dissipating the 285's heat though ^^ maybe when 20nm gpus actually become feasible...

Gpus heat output very little heat relative to cpus. Look at the referance nvidia cooler heatsinks, and how quiet and cool they run. 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

Just slap an AIO on it.

well the 285 is a tonga based GPU  (190 watts )

a tower cooler should be fine

the ps4 is doing fine with a 270 GPU

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

if apus become prevalent at the lower end of the market we could see motherboards designed to hold larger coolers with ease (eg extra holes for another support. and new coolers designed to fit them.

Actually its more like the 270x, and in future years, like all consoles, the r9 280. 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

Gpus heat output very little heat relative to cpus. Look at the referance nvidia cooler heatsinks, and how quiet and cool they run. 

The TDP of an athlon 860k is 95 watts. That's 95 watts of heat being generated by that cpu. an R9 285 has a tdp of 190 watts. It generates twice as much heat as the cpu part would. Nvidia's reference heatinks are more than twice the size of the intel stock cooler and they mount a better fan, not to mention the 900 series has a fairly low TDP compared to the R9 285. The athlon plus the 285 together would generate 285 watts of heat, that's more than an FX 9590 by comparison, it would fry the motherboard and be extremely hard to cool even at stock. They'd need to include a noctua nh-d15 as the stock cooler...

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just slap an AIO on it.

The CPU plus the gpu would generate more heat than an FX 9590. Would you consider that acceptable when you could just have the gpu in a separate expansion card with much faster memory?

Actually its more like the 270x, and in future years, like all consoles, the r9 280. 

wat

consoles don't get hardware upgrades... and the gpu in the ps4 is somewhere inbetween the 260x and the 270.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The TDP of an athlon 860k is 95 watts. That's 95 watts of heat being generated by that cpu. an R9 285 has a tdp of 190 watts. It generates twice as much heat as the cpu part would. Nvidia's reference heatinks are more than twice the size of the intel stock cooler and they mount a better fan, not to mention the 900 series has a fairly low TDP compared to the R9 285. The athlon plus the 285 together would generate 285 watts of heat, that's more than an FX 9590 by comparison, it would fry the motherboard and be extremely hard to cool even at stock. They'd need to include a noctua nh-d15 as the stock cooler...

As I am sure many of us have heard Linus repeatedly states that CPUs produce more heat than GPUs and the only reason a GPU runs hotter is because of the limited space (two slots) to put a cooler which for a CPU can often be as big as you like.

Heat isn't a problem. It's the memory. DDR3 (and 4) just isn't fast enough to feed a 285 class GPU. It's the reason why PS4 has GDDR5 memory.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Heat isn't a problem. It's the memory. DDR3 (and 4) just isn't fast enough to feed a 285 class GPU. It's the reason why PS4 has GDDR5 memory.

but it can only use between 1 and 3 gbs. Remember the cpu needs ram. 

The CPU plus the gpu would generate more heat than an FX 9590. Would you consider that acceptable when you could just have the gpu in a separate expansion card with much faster memory?

XV = 15w TDP

R9 = 190w TDP

The heat output would be less than a R9 290X which stands at 53C under a full load with a Kraken X40 strapped to it.

but it can only use between 1 and 3 gbs. Remember the cpu needs ram. 

You can get stupid amounts of RAM nowadays... it's not fast enough.

From wiki:

64 lanes | GDDR5 | 1500 MHz | 6 GT/s | 384 Gbit/s | 48 GB/s

PC4-25600 DDR4 SDRAM | DDR4-3200 | 400 MHz | 3.2 GT/s | 204.8 Gbit/s | 25.6 GB/s

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

As I am sure many of us have heard Linus repeatedly states that CPUs produce more heat than GPUs and the only reason a GPU runs hotter is because of the limited space (two slots) to put a cooler which for a CPU can often be as big as you like.

That's false. Sorry. TDPs don't lie. CPU tend to get hotter, but that's just because they don't have as much space for a heatsink (yep, it's the other way around, gpus get to have VERY long heatsinks, comaprable to nh-d15s in terms of volume, CPUs only start to get the advantge when we step into liquid cooling and 3x120mm radiators, which would hardly make sense on an APU) and fans and because they have a lower surface area (which would apply to an APU too), whereas a gpu can go balls to the wall with heatpipes and even triple 120mm fans. For reference, my core i7 2600 (95 watts tdp) never broke 75c on the silly stock cooler, which has a very small heatsink and a very weak fan. My R9 290 will reach that temperature even with two large fans and a ginormous heatsink with heatpipes everywhere. The 285 isn't quite as hot as the 290, but it's no refrigerator either. And together with a cpu it generates way more heat than is acceptable.

That's ALSO a problem. But heat would be the deal breaker for me, APUs are supposed to be semi-budget solutions, not something I need to buy a 100$ heatsink for just to run it at stock.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You can get stupid amounts of RAM nowadays... it's not fast enough.

From wiki:

64 lanes | GDDR5 | 1500 MHz | 6 GT/s | 384 Gbit/s | 48 GB/s

PC4-25600 DDR4 SDRAM | DDR4-3200 | 400 MHz | 3.2 GT/s | 204.8 Gbit/s | 25.6 GB/s

What? I said the gpu on the ps4 can only use about 3gbs of vram. 

The only way it will happen is after a few die node shrinks and with hbm. I doubt 20nm will be small enough to be practical.

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347