Tomb Raider Series Reboot Needs Boob Physics Yes or No?

GuruMeditationError

Does the Tomb Raider series reboot needs boob physics?

imho, boob physics perfected: 

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

Boobs jiggling is always preferred 

kappa.gif

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Crystal dynamics leaked physics: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtlesDgPK8o

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Crystal dynamics leaked physics... -snip-

omg, what is that? It looks so stupid. Way too much. :confused:

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

When don't we need boob physics?

Sally: l Intel i5 4690k | | Corsair H55 | | Zalman z12 plus | | Hitachi 2TB HDD | | Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB | | ASRock Fatal1ty z97 Killer | | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | | EVGA SuperNova 750 watt | | MSI 390 | | Windows 10| 

21629-trollface-meme-jackie-chan-s.png

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Jiggle physics yo. I don't really think its needed, the whole point of this reboot is to get away from what the original tomb raider became.

My first impulse when seeing this thread was to leave and add the OP to my mental ignore list for the foreseeable future.

But after a bit of thought, well, boobs do respond to physics. They shouldn't sit there like stone. If it were done in a way to tastefully simulate reality rather than to stupidly sexualize Lara, sure. I'd be on board.

That said, thinking back to my play through of Tomb Raider I cannot remember if there were boob jiggle physics or not. I think maybe that's the way it should be.

someone needs to go outside and get a girlfriend..

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

No, boob physics with the intent to sexualize a perfectly fine character is plain stupid.

Boob physics have it's place, but only in games that are honest about it, like Dead or Alive, Street Fighter and other games filled with crazy stuff.

Crystal dynamics leaked physics: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtlesDgPK8o

SOMEONE CALL AN EXORCIST

I'm telling the truth! I AM a 12 year old girl!

When don't we need boob physics?

I only play games that have boob physics. 

Realistic boob physics: one of the few areas where real life wins out over video games. 

But seriously, that diving suit in Tomb Raider Underworld was something we should all be ashamed of, although having said that, in a world where Bayonetta can exist I'm sure there's room for Lara to at least have a bit of a jiggle (as long as it's realistic). As it is she looks a bit weird with the totally static boobage? They heave in the benchmark but in the actual game, they're like stone. :0(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IuBg6jF0HI

Stop giving Anita Sarkeesian reasons to continue her crusade.

Dude, it's not like I'm saying they should mo-cap the actresses actual breasts (could you imagine what that mo-cap suit would look like) I just don't think it would hurt to put a little...jiggle in her wriggle (as long as it's realistic).

But seriously, this was supposed to just be a light-hearted thread, but having said that... 

I know the last thing they want to do is sexualise Lara (They want to maintain (or re-build) the franchise' credibility based on the quality of the game itself (rather than just trying to make sales by putting a sex object at the centre of the experience; but more importantly (from a business perspective) they probably can't afford to loose half of the potential revenue by alienating half of their potential market (the women) and still have a viable, competative, triple-A product) but they seem to have gone too far in the other direction to the extent that they've dehumanised her.  

She's already some kind of scary, physics-defying terminator able to withstand copious amounts of physical damage and to pull gratings out of walls etc. with just a grappling hook and her bare hands, I just don't think it would hurt to inject a little realism into the franchise. I'm not saying she needs to traversing the jungles and tombs of the world in high-heels and a cocktail dress, I'm just saying I don't think it would hurt for her to eventually have just a little more humanity.

Lara's sex and sexuality isn't all she is but it is a part of who she is, and while I can understand the strategic decisions for Lara's re-design from a business perspective, I can't help but feel that they've basically just steralised her.   :0/

Dude, it's not like I'm saying they should mo-cap the actresses actual breasts (could you imagine what that mo-cap suit would look like) I just don't think it would hurt to put a little...jiggle in her wriggle (as long as it's realistic).

But seriously, this was supposed to just be a light-hearted thread, but having said that... 

I know the last thing they want to do is sexualise Lara (They want to maintain (or re-build) the franchise' credibility based on the quality of the game itself (rather than just trying to make sales by putting a sex object at the centre of the experience; but more importantly (from a business perspective) they probably can't afford to loose half of the potential revenue by alienating half of their potential market (the women) and still have a viable, competative, triple-A product) but they seem to have gone too far in the other direction to the extent that they've dehumanised her.  

She's already some kind of scary, physics-defying terminator able to withstand copious amounts of physical damage and to pull gratings out of walls etc. with just a grappling hook and her bare hands, I just don't think it would hurt to inject a little realism into the franchise. I'm not saying she needs to traversing the jungles and tombs of the world in high-heels and a cocktail dress, I'm just saying I don't think it would hurt for her to eventually have just a little more humanity.

Lara's sex and sexuality isn't all she is but it is a part of who she is, and while I can understand the strategic decisions for Lara's re-design from a business perspective, I can't help but feel that they've basically just steralised her.   :0/

Fine, but you quoted Dead or Alive 5 as an example of the physics you were talking about, and the clear emphasis is on sexualizing the characters. I get that this may not be your intended point, but it does affect it. But ask yourself this. Is it necessary? Will it affect you enjoyment of the game or affect the portrayal that she is a human female? I doubt that this is truly the case, but if it is, then you just want eye candy and the sexualization. They have not dehumanized her, they have only humanized here further.  Jiggles =/= humanity.

Do you complain about male portrayals in games and their abilities in the same light? I highly doubt that.

Would boob physics be appropriate, actually yes, but that is far down the list of physics needing to be added/improved in the game. Heck the added hair physics plays far more into the realism then boob physics ever could. If you need the jiggle, Dead or Alive is always there to entertain you.

ahh yes... I knew this would turn into a 'sexualization' argument...

and here I am just trying to enjoy the maths...

wu1UNjt.jpg

Seriously tho, there are complex calculations made when attempting to simulate 'boob physics' (pardon the term)... because 'breasts' in themselves are neither fully solid nor are they completely fluid... Simulating 'boob physics' would eventually lead to developments on simulating 'fluid enclosed in a nonrigid, elastic container'... although I'm not sure what that would be used for in the realm of science, but it would be interesting to see where it will be applied...

also for the people arguing above, would you enjoy manboobs with 'boob physics'?

it had its place in the old TR games, but no here, its cringe-worthy in this serious, gritty reboot series.

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."

Fine, but you quoted Dead or Alive 5 as an example of the physics you were talking about, and the clear emphasis is on sexualizing the characters...

No I didn't, someone else posted the Dead or Alive video, I just quoted them to comment and my comment read as follows...

omg, what is that? It looks so stupid. Way too much. :confused:

But thanks for pointing out that people could be making that mistake, I'll edit my post so that it no longer contains the link to the video.

Do you complain about male portrayals in games and their abilities in the same light? I highly doubt that.

Well then you're making too many assumptions about me (based really on virtually nothing (stereotyping goes both ways))...because, in fact, yes: for instance I think that the stuff Batman is portrayed as being physically capable of in video games is over the top, completely out of character to the point of not being acceptable, either as cannon or as an accurate depiction of the character, and that it makes things feel extremely fake and artificial (in fact I was even going to post to the Mythbusters forum suggesting they address video game physics, especially those of the Batman games, but someone had beaten me to it).

Also, even The Evil Within was annoying me, with the protagonist's  "Terminator Hand" ability where he just plain punches wooden crates to make them explode.

To be honest a great many games these days just make me feel like I'm playing a character that's basically just some kind of Terminator or that is otherwise some kind of indestructible robot capable of superhuman and physics-defying feats of strength and endurance and I can't say it particularly improves things for me.

it had its place in the old TR games, but no here, its cringe-worthy in this serious, gritty reboot series.

Okay, I think people are misunderstanding me; beside the fact that I'd kind of intended this as a light-hearted thread and really as just a bit of fun...

I don't mean that it should be exaggerated, I just think it should be addressed, and if it were implemented in a way that it is cringe-worthy then (imo) it wouldn't have been implemented correctly. Ideally it should be barely noticeable.

Tomb-Raider1.jpg

HELL YEAH

CPU: AMD FX 8350 | GPU: AMD R9 270 Windforce | MOBO: ASRock 990FX Extreme 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB | Case: X Predator X1 |CPU COOLER: Hyper T4

NAZIS WILL RISE.

Why not ass physics? Who doesn't want to see Lara twerk?

i5 4690K @ 4.5Ghz | OC'd XFX R9 290 | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 1TB HDD, 250GB SSD | Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H | 650W Rosewill PSU | Rosewill Thor White V2 Case | Windows 8.1 | 1440p 144Hz Freesync 27" |1080p 60Hz 24"

I'm all aboard. Who wouldn't like some realistic cleavage.

Make fat women and men more bouncy too.

Mid-range Emulation Gaming and Video Rendering PC

[CPU] i7 4790k 4.7GHz & 1.233v Delidded w/ CLU & vice method [Cooling] Corsair H100i [Mobo] Asus Z97-A [GPU] MSI GTX 1070 SeaHawk X[RAM] G.Skill TridentX 2400 9-11-11-30 CR1 [PSU] Corsair 750M 

Why not ass physics? Who doesn't want to see Lara twerk?

But you'd only see it depending on what she was wearing (I guess the same for boob physics too) and personally, to be honest, I wouldn't want to see her stripped down just for titillation's sake, I really do thing that that would kind of just ruin it. :0/ 

I'm all aboard. Who wouldn't like some realistic cleavage.

Make fat women and men more bouncy too.

For me it's kind of like the "vinyl armour" you see in games, where supposedly solid armour flexes and bends with the character model. I guess it comes down to financial and technical constraints but it would be nice to see it addressed.

Tress effects was pretty good although it was only her pony tail that really reacted anywhere near realistically. When Lara was hanging upside down it was only her ponytail that wasn't defying gravity; the rest of her hair didn't actually change position.

Cloth physics is a thing now, which is really cool so hopefully it's just a matter of time before the other stuff's addressed (hopefully).