Samsung Plans 3-Sided Screen in New Galaxy Smartphone

1200x-1.jpg

Why exactly this is needed, I don't know. Honestly, I have no idea. The Note Edge never made any sense to me (why not just make a edgeless display?) and I guess Samsung just needs something else to check off the features list for an arbitrary reason. 

With all signs pointing to the loss of a removable battery, the S6 will become just another face in the crowd and lose one feature that a lot of consumers (myself included) appreciated having on prior Galaxy models. This just seems like another case of "throw features at the whiteboard to see what sticks" instead of thinking through a use case for having side displays.

But, lets see whats what when these finally release. With the lacklustre (in comparison to prior generations) response to the S5, maybe Samsung is hoping that such features will light a fire and push the Galaxy name back in the forefront. 

(Bloomberg) -- Samsung Electronics Co. plans to release two new versions of its top-tier Galaxy smartphone next month, including a model with a display covering three sides, according to people with direct knowledge of the matter.

Both phones will have all-metal bodies and use Samsung’s most advanced processor chips, the people said, asking not to be identified because the details haven’t been released. The second model to be unveiled at the Mobile World Congress in Spain will only have a front-facing display, the people said. Both phones will have 5.1-inch screens, one of the people said.

One of the new Galaxy phones will have a screen that covers the front and both the left and right sides, the people said. Samsung declined to comment on its phone specifications in an e-mail. 

The new Galaxy phones, developed under the “Project Zero” codename, will use metal frames supplied by BYD Electronic International Co., one of the people familiar with the matter said. That is a subsidiary of BYD Co., the Chinese automaker partially owned by Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway Inc.

Three sides like front, left and right, I think it's pointless and a better option will be getting the phone that has the e-ink display on it's back.

@Victorious Secret nice article just format it for dark theme users, make the font orange because sometimes auto font doesn't cover everything.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

What's up with the multiple uses of "the people said" in the article?

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque euismod suscipit est, non placerat turpis vestibulum sed. Phasellus et faucibus odio. Donec a nisi at purus porttitor ullamcorper auctor a nibh. Integer id neque a nisi laoreet ultrices id ac augue. Nulla facilisi. Nullam purus elit, dictum quis euismod vitae, mollis non dui. Morbi vehicula neque eu mattis bibendum. Curabitur sed odio tortor. Sed euismod mi in diam volutpat, vitae convallis ipsum mattis. Praesent eleifend faucibus pulvinar. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Vestibulum velit nunc, fermentum a libero a, venenatis tempus lectus.

1117357821439728933.jpg

1117357821608173861.png

Not hard to imagine a side screen now, with this not so ominous image from Samsung themselves 

-snip-

Not hard to imagine a side screen now, with this not so ominous image from Samsung themselves 

On that image it looks super silly.....

And I don't really know how this helps the user experience....

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

If they'd get rid of TouchWiz I'd care.

Ugh. Samsung are managing to turn me into a negative-fanboy.

"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Apology 38a, Socrates

No removable battery? Really? That's the main reason I bought my S5 over the One M8.

And 3-sided screens? WHY?

My PC: MSI X99s SLI PLUS///Intel i7 5820k///Corsair H100i///Crucial DDR4 12GB///EVGA Supernova Gold 750w G2///ASUS GTX 1080 Strix///Phanteks Enthoo Luxe///Intel 730 240GB SSD///WD Blue 1TB///Intel 6250 WiFi
Current Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598///Corsair K70 LUX///Logitech MX Master///Razer Destructor 2///Saitek X52///Acer X34 Predator

What's up with the multiple uses of "the people said" in the article?

I have a feeling it might have been either hastily written or the intention was to indicate that the source actually said all those things without making it a quotation for legal reasons. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Source - http://www.engadget.com/2015/02/11/samsung-galaxy-s-6-wraparound-display/

post-153490-0-85195300-1423829472.jpg

Samsung thinks the unusual curved screen adorning its Galaxy Note Edge is the way to combat its sliding smartphone fortunes, according to a report from Bloomberg. It said the Korean company will release a 5.1-inch Galaxy S6 that will curve down both sides of the screen, rather than just the right like the Edge. However, it's also hedging its bets by releasing a second 5.1-inch Galaxy S6 model with a regular screen. There are no other details about the devices, but both will reportedly be unveiled at Samsung's Mobile World Congress event on March 1st in Barcelona.

Both phones are said to be following in the Galaxy Note 4's footsteps with all-metal bodies. In addition, the rumor mill has Samsung dropping Qualcomm's troubled Snapdragon 810 processor in favor of its own high-end Exynos 7420 model (Samsung also builds some of Apple's A8 iPhone chips). If a speculative AnTuTu benchmark is accurate, the rest of the specs could be equally majestic with a Quad HD (2,560 x 1,440) screen, 16-megapixel (or higher) camera and Android 5.0.2 Lollipop. That said, such reports are relatively easy to fake, so we wouldn't stake our lives on that info.

Samsung has been battling Apple for smartphone share, but also companies like Xiaomi and Lenovo in China. It recently sent out invitations for its "What's Next" March 1st Unpacking event in Barcelona, which strongly hinted at a curved screen. We found the multi-screen concept to be a mixed bag on the Galaxy Note Edge -- it looks beautiful, but still lacks utility and makes the phone expensive compared to a regular Galaxy Note 4. Assuming the rumors pan out, it'll be very interesting to see if the company can bring any new features (and hopefully a new, smaller price) to such a screen for its top Galaxy model.

Never really cared for Samsung TBH, to much bloatware preinstalled however i gotta admit that when i first saw a Note with the curved screen i was impressed by it initially, afterwards though you get around to thinking whats the point, i mean what exactly does having the curved screen bring to the table? The answer is nothing.

Its just a gimmick designed to sell phones to people who walk around with their phones out so he entire world can see they've got the latest handset, its form over function in a big way.

As for the CPU, well Apples A series always seems to perform really well so if Samsung do indeed go with that family it should perform admirabley.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Source - http://www.engadget.com/2015/02/11/samsung-galaxy-s-6-wraparound-display/

Never really cared for Samsung TBH, to much bloatware preinstalled however i gotta admit that when i first saw a Note with the curved screen i was impressed by it initially, afterwards though you get around to thinking whats the point, i mean what exactly does having the curved screen bring to the table? The answer is nothing.

Its just a gimmick designed to sell phones to people who walk around with their phones out so he entire world can see they've got the latest handset, its form over function in a big way.

This isn't really anything new. The Galaxy Nexus had one a few years ago. Excellent phone though. The G Flex and G Flex 2 both do.

However, I do approve of the curve. The curve on the Nexus did make it hug the face during phone calls well, and when you're on phone a lot, you tend to notice any extra bit of comfort.

The edge screen is idiotic, IMO. It's maybe useful for niche users, but... I'm sure tons of people will buy one and rave about it while it ends up going unused. Fashion statements are meant for jewelry, aren't they? The world is changing, and I'm not a fan.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

As for the CPU, well Apples A series always seems to perform really well so if Samsung do indeed go with that family it should perform admirabley.

Maybe if they had the curved edge act as a secondary screen to show messages/notifications whithout having the screen on?

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

The curved edge seems completely useless to me, in fact I'd imagine it to be quite annoying. My only big hope is for a removable battery, although I've pretty much given up hope for that now. Guess I'll be going LG or something similar.

Maybe if they had the curved edge act as a secondary screen to show messages/notifications whithout having the screen on?

Not sure thats even possible, its not a seperate screen AFAIK (if you know better please correct me) but a single screen which is curved around so you couldn't just have the curved bit on and the rest off, thats kinda like trying to have half your monitor on and the other half off at the same time.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Not sure thats even possible, its not a seperate screen AFAIK (if you know better please correct me) but a single screen which is curved around so you couldn't just have the curved bit on and the rest off, thats kinda like trying to have half your monitor on and the other half off at the same time.

The way people have been giving specs on the note edge, they've been listing the normal 2560x1440 and then the additional strip. It seems like it is a different screen somehow.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

meh i have nit seen a curved phone that isnt a gimmick maybe samsung should concentrate on making a solid phone

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

The way people have been giving specs on the note edge, they've been listing the normal 2560x1440 and then the additional strip. It seems like it is a different screen somehow.

In that case then i withdraw my previous bashing, as @Lazmarr said, being able to have the side screen on on its own could have some use.

Not impressed with Samsung's gameplan of late. This type of crap will kill some of the enthusiast consumer base.

"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Apology 38a, Socrates

I could actually see how that might be super useful.

I am actually kind of excited for the new S6, say what you want, it does look like they are trying to change things up a bit.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

With OLED you actually get pretty significant power savings for only using part of the screen and leaving the rest black, and I think OLED is the only screen type that is possible to use in curved displays (also pretty much the only type Samsung has used for just about anything in a while) so it seems likely that these would have it too. Not sure if it saves as much power as a separate screen, but it most likely DOES save money.