credit score

lukky211111

Use CreditKarma, or if you have Discover's IT card, it has your FICO credit score on there.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Use CreditKarma, or if you have Discover's IT card, it has your FICO credit score on there.

alrighty apparently my credit file is too thin to make a score which i guess isnt a terrible thing but how do i get approved for a credit card?

askdjfasdf

alrighty apparently my credit file is too thin to make a score which i guess isnt a terrible thing but how do i get approved for a credit card?

You apply for the credit card. All companies will have starter credit cards they offer to 18 year olds. I just applied and made sure I kept my payments on time. Now I get approved for whatever I want and get the best interest rate. You just have to make sure you can keep up with your spending habits on the credit card. Enough talk just apply to any big bank or credit card company that will offer you one.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

If you go to any non community college you will get shitloads of applications in the mail.

It actually isn't good to have 0. You will not be able to take out loans, buy a car, etc etc without someone else co-signing without a score.

I'd just get a credit card with a $500-$1k max and just buy your gas on it, or whenever you make large purchases, just use it and then pay it off when you get home. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

It actually isn't good to have 0. You will not be able to take out loans, buy a car, etc etc without someone else co-signing without a score.

I'd just get a credit card with a $500-$1k max and just buy your gas on it, or whenever you make large purchases, just use it and then pay it off when you get home. 

kinda what i thought about doing cuz then its like i cant screw it up if im just purchasing gas on it but my only concern is i wonder if the bank i go through will even give me one or not.

askdjfasdf

kinda what i thought about doing cuz then its like i cant screw it up if im just purchasing gas on it but my only concern is i wonder if the bank i go through will even give me one or not.

If you have been with the bank for awhile, most will. They just do it because you/your parents have been their loyal customers for years. 

Actually, most banks will. Its these Special ones "newegg card" "Amazon card" and all that that wont. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

If you have been with the bank for awhile, most will. They just do it because you/your parents have been their loyal customers for years. 

Actually, most banks will. Its these Special ones "newegg card" "Amazon card" and all that that wont. 

well im 21 been with them since i was like 18 so i sure hope so cuz i want to get my score up fast as possible

askdjfasdf

Everyone has to start somewhere. I'm not a fan of credit cards as I have seen it destroy good people. You have to be in debt and pay that debt in order to have a "good" credit score. Also credit card companies want you to keep on paying the minimum  monthly payment to get as much interest from you. Like I said before just make sure your staying ahead of your spending habits and you will do fine. They will give you the credit score if you buy a house or car and even on credit cards and loans once you have established credit. Just my 2 cents. Anything over 750 is great and I go for the interest free credit cards.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Correct. I applied for a Newegg card when I was 18 and got declined. A couple years later I applied for one and I got approved. I just used the bank credit card I got when I was 18 and made sure I paid on time. Just takes time.

Credit/debt is a trap, stay away from it unless you absolutely need to. plan ahead instead.

Just my two bits.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

If they won't give you a credit card regularly because you don't have enough credit (from cell phone bills or whatever) you can get a secured card at a bank.  You give them the balance of the credit card ($500 or $1000) and they give you a card for that amount.  They keep your money in trust, and if it gets out of control for whatever reason and you can't handle it, they'll just pay it off with your deposit.

If you're worried about uncontrolled spending, keep the limit low.  A $500 or $1000 limit isn't the end of the world even if you max it out.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Everyone has to start somewhere. I'm not a fan of credit cards as I have seen it destroy good people. You have to be in debt and pay that debt in order to have a "good" credit score. Also credit card companies want you to keep on paying the minimum  monthly payment to get as much interest from you. Like I said before just make sure your staying ahead of your spending habits and you will do fine. They will give you the credit score if you buy a house or car and even on credit cards and loans once you have established credit. Just my 2 cents. Anything over 750 is great and I go for the interest free credit cards.

im trying to get a damn cellphone and get a lower deposit right now and just try and get a good maintainable credit score.

askdjfasdf

If they won't give you a credit card regularly because you don't have enough credit (from cell phone bills or whatever) you can get a secured card at a bank.  You give them the balance of the credit card ($500 or $1000) and they give you a card for that amount.  They keep your money in trust, and if it gets out of control for whatever reason and you can't handle it, they'll just pay it off with your deposit.

If you're worried about uncontrolled spending, keep the limit low.  A $500 or $1000 limit isn't the end of the world even if you max it out.

wait so i have to give them money to put onto the card ?

askdjfasdf

But why not use a debit card?

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

because that just uses money that i have and does nothing for my credit.

askdjfasdf

because that just uses money that i have and does nothing for my credit.

So it rewards you for borrowing money?

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Credit/debt is a trap, stay away from it unless you absolutely need to. plan ahead instead.

Just my two bits.

I don't understand, did you forget the punchline? 

A well managed credit card is beneficial to you later in life, like you said, it's rewards for managing borrowed money.  It shows lenders how trustworthy you are, so when it comes to buying a home, they'll trust you to pay off mortgage and blah blah blah.

Also credit cards have many more bank protections because in the end it's their money, if it's stolen you can nullify charges and the card immediately.

OP, if you can attach yourself to your parents.  That's what I did, which immediately put me on the radar for a college card that I manage myself, couple months later I had pretty decent credit and I applied for the Amazon Chase one.  Just have to get one foot on the ground and be diligent.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

Just my two bits.

I agree, i think its best to spend money you have, rather than what you borrow.

I reccomend saving up as much as you can

I agree, i think its best to spend money you have, rather than what you borrow.

I reccomend saving up as much as you can

It's all relative, there's no harm as long as you make sure your spendings don't go above what you have in the bank right now.  Just because some people clearly can't control their spending doesn't mean OP, or me, or you can't.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

pretty much

While it does help out. I just applied for my credit card maxed it out and paid it off the next month. I don't advise this. It's better to make monthly payments to help build your score. I just applied for a cell phone the next month and got approved. Credit cards companies tend to update every 30 days to the three major credit bureau's. A lot of things can help you with your credit but also checking it so much will also hurt you as well. Some credit check reports drop off in 6 months. My credit score is 808 because I work hard to make my payments on time and now I just get everything interest free. Also applying for a car helped me when I was 19. While not having credit could be a good thing but don't expect to get a loan for that xxx,xxxx house later down the road. Having a high credit score does pay off in the long run. Good luck to you.

While it does help out. I just applied for my credit card maxed it out and paid it off the next month. I don't advise this. It's better to make monthly payments to help build your score. I just applied for a cell phone the next month and got approved. Credit cards companies tend to update every 30 days to the three major credit bureau's. A lot of things can help you with your credit but also checking it so much will also hurt you as well. Some credit check reports drop off in 6 months. My credit score is 808 because I work hard to make my payments on time and now I just get everything interest free. Also applying for a car helped me when I was 19. While not having credit could be a good thing but don't expect to get a loan for that xxx,xxxx house later down the road. Having a high credit score does pay off in the long run. Good luck to you.

so do i have to pay to get a credit card? from a bank that is.

askdjfasdf