polling this section of community on an idea

i have an idea that i am working on and wanted to see if you guys would be interested. i attached a poll and i hope it works (the poll that is).

my idea is you build a relatively small generator that runs on a water stream so that people who are folding or mining or doing bionic or any other distributive computing will be able to run that computer/computers off a separate line of power not connected to the hows power grid. save money and help people out.

now im targeting you guys as my first audience because i know it can get expensive to run machines at 100% load 24/7. and if it all works out and is successful then ill try and donate machines to people that cant afford the luxury or electricity so they may be able to have lights and heat or air conditioning depending on where they are.

im not gunna go into to many details of how the device will work but its using fairly simple mechanics and will have very few points of failure. i have everything all worked out and im now on the stage of gathering the materials and building the first prototype.

wish me luck ^.^

if the poll doesnt show up then state in the comments weather youd be interesting in buying one and how much you would be willing to pay for it... any answers for price that are like 5 cents or something ridiculous are gunna be ignored :P  though everything should be 5 cents right >.<

Poll isn't working...

~EDIT

This is a great idea! If you are able to get it to generate enough power to power a basic PC that would be insane. I will definitely back you on this one. 

ALCATRAZ |   CPU: i9 9900k @ 5GHz, Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A, RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB, GPU: Gigabyte 1070Ti Case: Zalman MS800 Plus, Storage: Corsair 2TB NVME | Crucial M550 128GB SSD  |  WD 640GB HDD, PSU: XFX Pro Series 1050w, Display: ASUS MG279Q, Cooling: Noctua NH-D15

Too few people mining etc. to power anything, not worth the money to hook it all up.

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

100% depend on how much power it produces. but yes, would be intrested. 

edit: would still leave connected to grid, because unless its the exact wattage the computer is using, your either not going to have enough power, or be wasting power that could be put back in the grid to power other things in your home

I don't fold but looks like in interesting idea.

Seems pretty interesting, but as said before the poll doesn't work

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Not everyone has a river running through their backyard, you know. But it's a nice proposition for those of us who do. Wind energy is more ubiquitous though.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Problem for me, and many other people would be geological location. As long as you live within throwing distance of a river or alike, then you should be good.

I myself have thought a bit of solar power.

my idea is you build a relatively small generator that runs on a water stream

what water stream you referring too ?

I'm not too sure how this would work :/

If it's supposed to run off a water stream, wouldn't you need a river (or similar) nearby? If it is, this has already been invented:

hqdefault.jpg

Sorry for my ignorance if this is a completely different idea

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

I don't live near a water stream, but for those who do it could be great :) as long as the price is not higher than simply buying the current for a few years...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

meh whatever i tryed to do the poll but didnt know exactly how to do it but i set it up in the manage poll link to the right and set up all my questions and answers but guess i missed somehting... 

but im glad to see people are interested in this idea... i am looking to beable to generate atleast 2000watts becuase i started this project to power my pc since it folding 24/7 can draw up to 1000watts from the wall since it is 2 290x's and a fx9590. 

Not everyone has a river running through their backyard, you know. But it's a nice proposition for those of us who do. Wind energy is more ubiquitous though.

oh i know the water is something you add to the device and it generates its own streem of water to spin and generator coil. so it will work anywhere as long as you filll it and give it a kick start to make the water start flowing then gravity does the rest of the work.

Problem for me, and many other people would be geological location. As long as you live within throwing distance of a river or alike, then you should be good.

I myself have thought a bit of solar power.

I also run some solar power and i also luckily have a river running within throwing distance of my house. So i guess i have appropriate conditions for this product if it runs off a nearby stream. Unless it circulates water...

ALCATRAZ |   CPU: i9 9900k @ 5GHz, Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A, RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB, GPU: Gigabyte 1070Ti Case: Zalman MS800 Plus, Storage: Corsair 2TB NVME | Crucial M550 128GB SSD  |  WD 640GB HDD, PSU: XFX Pro Series 1050w, Display: ASUS MG279Q, Cooling: Noctua NH-D15

oh i know the water is something you add to the device and it generates its own streem of water to spin and generator coil. so it will work anywhere as long as you filll it and give it a kick start to make the water start flowing then gravity does the rest of the work.

It would need to be pretty efficient to generate enough power.

meh whatever i tryed to do the poll but didnt know exactly how to do it but i set it up in the manage poll link to the right and set up all my questions and answers but guess i missed somehting... 

but im glad to see people are interested in this idea... i am looking to beable to generate atleast 2000watts becuase i started this project to power my pc since it folding 24/7 can draw up to 1000watts from the wall since it is 2 290x's and a fx9590. 

lets assume it was efficent enough, what are we supposed to do with the excess water? are we supposed to reuse it?

As far as I know there isn't a way to do this (Law of conservation of energy -" Energy can be neither created nor be destroyed, but it can change form") I think what you're suggesting is that water would circulate continuously (with no other input?)

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

It would need to be pretty efficient to generate enough power.

yah im aware of that and im currently loooking around for the appropriate parts needed. not sure when ill get a working model but when fully expect to see a video of it working. i plan to make a time lapse video of it working not stop for a month or somehting similar to that idea.

lets assume it was efficent enough, what are we supposed to do with the excess water? are we supposed to reuse it?

Well, you can always produce more power than you need and feed the it back into the power grid. In some countries the electricity companies actually pay you if you sell your excess power.

On the subject of efficiency, not all waterwheels are created equal. if you want an efficient water turbine that's relatively easy to make you'll want a Pelton wheel. At certain speeds this type of turbine can use almost all of the water's kinetic energy.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

As far as I know there isn't a way to do this (Law of conservation of energy -" Energy can be neither created nor be destroyed, but it can change form") I think what you're suggesting is that water would circulate continuously (with no other input?)

yes basicly it will be a water loop that is powered by the force of gravity and pressure diffrences...  basicly if you take a source of water and up a tube in it and have the tubes other opening point down then suck the water or liquid till it comes out of the tube the water will continue to flow out of the tube without you sucking anymore becuase as gravity pulls the water down it will create a small low pressure in the tube and pull more water with it untill the water is all gone but this loop will just pour the water back into the source so that it will contiune to have enough water to pull. the only thing needed tow worry about is water evaporates and eventualy you will need to add more to it to make sure it keeps flowing... 

im terrible at explaining things so i hope that wasnt a huge confusing mess. but it does work that method as i accidently replicated it one day when i connected a bunch of drinking straws to gether to make a super straw to drink a drink from across the room and well once i stoped drinking it kept flowing out and i made a huge mess of lemonaid all over the floor xD it was pretty funny but also a very interesting mechanic of physics...

Well, you can always produce more power than you need and feed the it back into the power grid. In some countries the electricity companies actually pay you if you sell your excess power.

On the subject of efficiency, not all waterwheels are created equal. if you want an efficient water turbine that's relatively easy to make you'll want a Pelton wheel. At certain speeds this type of turbine can use almost all of the water's kinetic energy.

omg i was just looking at using a pelton wheel xD  yeah they seem to be the best option for this project and im probaly gunna get me one of those for testing.

I had the same thought. You can't make your own stream, as it would require more energy than what you would gain from it.

I myself am thinking of a physical generator close to a river or something. And then you route that power into something that can conserve it and transform it into usable current.

I also highly suggest using power efficient components in the build. Only GPU folding on Maxwell cards is what I am thinking.

yah im aware of that and im currently loooking around for the appropriate parts needed. not sure when ill get a working model but when fully expect to see a video of it working. i plan to make a time lapse video of it working not stop for a month or somehting similar to that idea.

So you wanna create something that produces 2000W continuosly for a month without any refill / user input. Unless you're building a miniature hydroelectric dam in your backyard i can't see how this is gonna happen.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

So you wanna create something that produces 2000W continuosly for a month without any refill / user input. Unless you're building a miniature hydroelectric dam in your backyard i can't see how this is gonna happen.

well im aiming for that but if i dont make it then thats fine as long as i can do enough to power a pc off of 24/7 and yes there will be refilling required as water does slowly evaporate. 

yes basicly it will be a water loop that is powered by the force of gravity and pressure diffrences...  basicly if you take a source of water and up a tube in it and have the tubes other opening point down then suck the water or liquid till it comes out of the tube the water will continue to flow out of the tube without you sucking anymore becuase as gravity pulls the water down it will create a small low pressure in the tube and pull more water with it untill the water is all gone but this loop will just pour the water back into the source so that it will contiune to have enough water to pull. the only thing needed tow worry about is water evaporates and eventualy you will need to add more to it to make sure it keeps flowing... 

im terrible at explaining things so i hope that wasnt a huge confusing mess. but it does work that method as i accidently replicated it one day when i connected a bunch of drinking straws to gether to make a super straw to drink a drink from across the room and well once i stoped drinking it kept flowing out and i made a huge mess of lemonaid all over the floor xD it was pretty funny but also a very interesting mechanic of physics...

Sorry to dissapoint but i don't think that works how you think it works... The water only flows to a lower point you can't feed it back into the original tank.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W