Should I get an AMP/DAC?

TheDeadGhost

Hey guys!

I just got a new pair of headphones: Sennheiser HD 558!

I've been looking at the Project Head Box S and was just wondering if its good and if it will do anything at all?

Thanks!

Don't forget to Like the things you like!

you're probably better off getting something on the lower end like a FiiO e10k.

the PHBS costs almost as much as the 558's

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

I used fiio e10k with hd 558.Perfect! But after one month of use the fiio when i want to raise the wolume it makes a little cracking noise...

I5-4690K 4.7GHZ/Corsair H105/16GB Corsair Vengeance 2133Mhz/Asus VII HERO Z97/Evga 980 Ti Hybrid(soon)/Evga G2 750W/NZXT H440/Samsung 840 250Gb/WD Blue 1Tb/Logitech G502/Corsair K70 Blue switch/Logitech z4/Dell u2414h/Sennheiser HD650 With O2 Amp and ODAC/Mic-ISK-CRU1

you're probably better off getting something on the lower end like a FiiO e10k.

the PHBS costs almost as much as the 558's

I got credit at the store from an old GPU that broke so I'm mainly just wondering if the PHBS will work well with the 558's? I've heard something about a 1/8 rule or something like that? Also I'm pretty sure the PHBS is only an amp so will I need a dac too? (Sorry I'm very inexperienced when it comes to audio, I've used a Razer Kraken headset until now)

Need it? Probably not. Wanna get it anyway? Sure, why not?

Ok, thanks!

This is probably my last question in this topic, the connectors on the back of the PHBS are white and red. Where do I connect it on my motherboard IO? (Probably a stupid question but I don't know much about audio)

Thanks!

Ok, thanks!

This is probably my last question in this topic, the connectors on the back of the PHBS are white and red. Where do I connect it on my motherboard IO? (Probably a stupid question but I don't know much about audio)

Thanks!

It is only an amp, thus it only has analog inputs. Use an RCA to 3.5mm cable to connect it to your motherboard's green audio output jack.

The Sennheiser HD 558 are actually one of the EASIEST to drive cans that Sennheiser makes, so I would say that unless you're dissatisfied with your current audio chain, you certainly don't NEED to get an amp just for these.  The Sennheiser HD558 and HD598 were both designed with portable audio in mind, and should sound just fine plugged into a computer, portable audio player, or whatever.  They might sound a little better with a dedicated amp, or a better DAC, but for these particular headphones I wouldn't recommend you spend a lot of time (or money) worrying about it.  If they sound good to you right now, great!  If they don't then either you don't like the Sennheiser sound signature, or it may be time to upgrade some part of your audio chain.  But again, this is one pair of headphones that benefits the LEAST from a dedicated headphone amp.

The Sennheiser HD 558 are actually one of the EASIEST to drive cans that Sennheiser makes, so I would say that unless you're dissatisfied with your current audio chain, you certainly don't NEED to get an amp just for these.  The Sennheiser HD558 and HD598 were both designed with portable audio in mind, and should sound just fine plugged into a computer, portable audio player, or whatever.  They might sound a little better with a dedicated amp, or a better DAC, but for these particular headphones I wouldn't recommend you spend a lot of time (or money) worrying about it.  If they sound good to you right now, great!  If they don't then either you don't like the Sennheiser sound signature, or it may be time to upgrade some part of your audio chain.  But again, this is one pair of headphones that benefits the LEAST from a dedicated headphone amp.

A USB Amp/Dac would be better because it would remove most of the electrical Interference affecting the audio quality when it comes from the mobo jacks I think.

Unless you have a cheapo motherboard, most probably you won't need amp or dac

What store?  Do they have a website?  Maybe there is a better amp/dac combo that you could exchange your credit for...

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system