Coolermaster hyper 212 evo or bequiet dark rock 3?

hardware_guy

Hi, I've been running my pc for a couple of months with the stock Intel cooler and it's all fine and except my temps to do go a little high and it can get pretty loud while gaming or starting up the pc.

So i have finally decided to get a aftermarket air cooler but I just needed some help seeing if it's worth spend £25 more for a bequiet dark rock 3 rather than a coolermaster hyper 212 evo.

The only major difference I see is that the dark rock 3 is better looking and it performs a little better than the evo 212( by a couple of degrees)

So I'm just wondering is it worth spending £25 more for the bequiet dark rock 3 or should I just go for the coolermaster hyper 212 evo?

My PC Specs:          CPU: i5 4690k(stock speed of 3.50GHz)          GPU: MSI GTX 770 4GB          Storage: WD Blue 1TB HDD and 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD             Ram: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600MHz           Motherboard: Z97 Asus Maximus VII Ranger          PSU: Corsair RM650 650W          CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO                    Case: Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl with window         OS: Windows 10 Pro                                

The 212 EVO is old and uncomfortable to mount. If your budget is a bit lower, i  can recommend the bequiet Shadow Rock 2. it's a massive cooler with a bequiet pure wings on the front and a nice finish on the top. should be plenty silent and cost much less than the dark rock 3.

who cares...

In terms of cooling performance I'd say the Dark Rock isn't worth the extra 25.  The 212 Evo is an excellent cooler (I have the slightly newer 212 X) and can't really be beaten that easily when it comes to price/performance.  However the installation instructions are rather rubbish and the mounting is quite fiddly (YouTube installation vids are more helpful than the instructions), that being said, I'd still recommend it if you're on a budget.  I can't say how easy the Dark Rock is to install though.  However if you value the aesthetics and (I'm guessing) quieter cooling, the extra 25 for the Dark Rock might be worth it for you.

CPU Intel Core i7 7700K; Cooler Cryorig R1 Universal; MB Asus ROG Maximus IX Code; RAM G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz (4 x 8GB); GPU ASUS GTX 1080 Ti ROG Strix Gaming OC; Case Be Quiet Dark Base 900 Pro Silver; Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB; PSU EVGA Supernova 850W G2; OS Windows 10; KB Corsair K70 (MX Brown); Audio O2 & ODAC, Sennheiser HD 600, Sennheiser RS 185, Swan M200MKIII; Monitors 2x Dell U2410

Previous Build

CPU Intel Core i5 4690K; Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212X; MB Asus Z97-A; RAM G.Skill Sniper (2 x 4GB); GPU 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming (SLI); Case Corsair Obsidian 450D; Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Black 1TB, Hitachi 750GB; PSU EVGA Supernova 750W G2; OS Windows 10; 

most definitely be quiet cooler >>>>> evo 212 > rest of the market.

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

i'd go with the be quiet cpu cooler.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

The CoolerMaster is a great, superb, excellent cooler for the money however does not have BeQuiet's looks. But if money is not an issue and you are willing to get the BeQuiet one I would. Although both would be quiet, the BeQuiet would be quieter.

The 212 EVO is old and uncomfortable to mount. If your budget is a bit lower, i can recommend the bequiet Shadow Rock 2. it's a massive cooler with a bequiet pure wings on the front and a nice finish on the top. should be plenty silent and cost much less than the dark rock 3.

The shadow rock 2 does look like a very good choice and it's the same price as the evo 212. I am kind of heading towards this one, with its better mounting system and better looks.

My PC Specs:          CPU: i5 4690k(stock speed of 3.50GHz)          GPU: MSI GTX 770 4GB          Storage: WD Blue 1TB HDD and 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD             Ram: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600MHz           Motherboard: Z97 Asus Maximus VII Ranger          PSU: Corsair RM650 650W          CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO                    Case: Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl with window         OS: Windows 10 Pro                                

The shadow rock 2 does look like a very good choice and it's the same price as the evo 212. I am kind of heading towards this one, with its better mounting system and better looks.

It's a big chunk of metal for not that much money. :P

The bequiet mounting system isn't heavenly either. But if you can hold a nut with a wrench and use a screwdriver on the other side, it will be much more comfortable than the 212 EVO mounting.

Just make sure that the Shadow Rock 2 doesn't interfere with your RAM. You can position the fan up higher if needed though.

who cares...

The bequiet mounting system isn't heavenly either. But if you can hold a nut with a wrench and use a screwdriver on the other side, it will be much more comfortable than the 212 EVO mounting.

Just make sure that the Shadow Rock 2 doesn't interfere with your RAM. You can position the fan up higher if needed though.

Yup, installing the EVO was a pain in the a**

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

i have 2 sticks of Corsair Vengence memory modules so it should fit comfortably. Thanks for the help. 

Either cooler would be a legitiment choice. I've got the Dark Rock Pro 3; it was a total PITA to install.

The thing is huge, but looks great.