My next GNU/Linux box

w1n5t0n

Hey guys,

It has been almost 2 years since I built my last desktop (for myself). I have arranged to sell my current system (apart from my speaker set-up) for $1500 and i will add an extra $500 out of pocket so I can pick up the most baller machine I could get my hands on for 2k. I think I have chosen parts wisely but I could be way off, tell me what you think!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Microcenter)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Amazon)

Memory: Patriot Viper 3 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($104.94 @ NCIX US)

Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($219.99 @ Adorama)

Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($229.99 @ Newegg)

Sound Card: Asus Xonar DX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($80.99 @ Newegg)

Case: Antec Eleven Hundred ATX Full Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($78.99 @ Amazon)

Monitor: LG IPS231B-BN 23.0" Monitor ($179.99 @ Newegg)

Monitor: LG IPS231B-BN 23.0" Monitor ($179.99 @ Newegg)

Keyboard: Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate Wired Standard Keyboard ($124.99 @ Newegg)

Mouse: Logitech G9x Wired Laser Mouse ($66.42 @ Amazon)

Total: $1896.25

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Hard to say without knowing what you're going to do with it ;)

You mentioned Linux so I'll bring up that I've seen some sleep/hibernation issues with Asus Z77 boards under Linux. If that is important to you, you may want to look into it first and possibly consider other options.

Sounds great so far! Personally I would recommend a power supply with maybe silver or gold efficiency rating, but it's personal choice and totally up to you. Also, you could even maybe throw in an extra hard disk for storage, but maybe you don't need it. Just my thoughts, :) and good luck with the build.

i5 3570k - MSI Z77 GD65 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance - Galaxy GTX 780 - Corsair AX650 - Custom CPU Loop - Corsair 650D - OCZ Agility 4 128GB - WD Black 640GB

Sounds great so far! Personally I would recommend a power supply with maybe silver or gold efficiency rating, but it's personal choice and totally up to you. Also, you could even maybe throw in an extra hard disk for storage, but maybe you don't need it. Just my thoughts, :) and good luck with the build.
There's no major real world difference between Bronze, Silver and Gold PSU's. You pay more for the PSU than you save.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1672184

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/09/15/80_plus_irrelevant_to_you_when_buying_psu/2