Any suggestions for storage drives?

Go to solution Solved by Prastupok,

Yeah, I know. I just can't find any other PCIe SSD's out there, except for that RAIDR and some enterprise PCIe SSD's.

http://ocz.com/consumer/revodrive-350-pcie-ssd

Hi, I am planning to build my own PC and listing stuff down before I purchase any of it whatsoever. I have a Samsung 850 Pro Series 1TB on the list and I intend to use it for gaming, and really want that drive exclusively for gaming. I want my OS on another (any type of SSD) drive and currently looking for anything that has high read/write speeds (since I'll be installing my programs in there too) that have storage more than 250GB and maybe more faster than the 850 Pro (if possible) in terms of boot speeds and loading speeds.

Also, I am looking for a HDD drive (can go for 2TB, but preferably 3TB or above) for data storage (downloads, documents, stuff like that.) that also have high read/write speeds (for copying/pasting files to/from the drive, especially large files downloaded from the internet).

I don't mind the cost, what's important here (well, for me at least) is its performance and life span. 

I've already looked at the RAIDR from Asus, and from the bad reviews from almost everyone, I don't want to consider it as an option anymore (although the promotional video -- boot time speeds seemed promising). And honestly, I don't know anything about the differences betwen M.2, PCI-E, mSATA, SATA3, and all those stuff, except for the fact that SSD>HDD in terms of performance, but offers lower storage and higher price.

I have considered using RAID 0 for many HDD's as an alternative to the SSD, but it seemed pointless. Also though about using the same RAID except for SSDs, but it would cost me too much, and practically pointless considering that an SSD already performs fast, and I needed extra storage -- no point in wasting that in RAID.

So, with that said, any good storage drives for me?

What about some sort of PCI express SSD and a WD Black, Blue or Caviar Black 3 TB?

@bhoxbryan09

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

What about some sort of PCI express SSD and a WD Black, Blue or Caviar Black 3 TB?

@bhoxbryan09

Yes, the only HDD which caught my attention is a 3TB WD Caviar Black. The main issue I'm facing right now is that I can't find any decent SSD's, and even if I did, I can't tell the differences between each of them because, like I said, I don't know anything about M.2, PCI-E SSD's, mSATA and whatnot.

Hi, I am planning to build my own PC and listing stuff down before I purchase any of it whatsoever. I have a Samsung 850 Pro Series 1TB on the list and I intend to use it for gaming, and really want that drive exclusively for gaming. I want my OS on another (any type of SSD) drive and currently looking for anything that has high read/write speeds (since I'll be installing my programs in there too) that have storage more than 250GB and maybe more faster than the 850 Pro (if possible) in terms of boot speeds and loading speeds.

Also, I am looking for a HDD drive (can go for 2TB, but preferably 3TB or above) for data storage (downloads, documents, stuff like that.) that also have high read/write speeds (for copying/pasting files to/from the drive, especially large files downloaded from the internet).

I don't mind the cost, what's important here (well, for me at least) is its performance and life span. 

I've already looked at the RAIDR from Asus, and from the bad reviews from almost everyone, I don't want to consider it as an option anymore (although the promotional video -- boot time speeds seemed promising). And honestly, I don't know anything about the differences betwen M.2, PCI-E, mSATA, SATA3, and all those stuff, except for the fact that SSD>HDD in terms of performance, but offers lower storage and higher price.

I have considered using RAID 0 for many HDD's as an alternative to the SSD, but it seemed pointless. Also though about using the same RAID except for SSDs, but it would cost me too much, and practically pointless considering that an SSD already performs fast, and I needed extra storage -- no point in wasting that in RAID.

So, with that said, any good storage drives for me?

Chances are, you don't need the 850 Pro. Get 2x 850 evos, and then a WD Black. That way you still have mass storage but plenty of SSD goodness.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Chances are, you don't need the 850 Pro. Get 2x 850 evos, and then a WD Black. That way you still have mass storage but plenty of SSD goodness.

I was considering the 850 EVO over the 850 Pro, because it is much cheaper and offers a very slightly lower but acceptable performance than the 850 Pro, considering its price. But then I red an issue about it, and it was a complete disappointment. Turns out, that was for a 840 EVO, and not for 850 EVO, so I probably would switch over to 850 EVO now. Thanks for reminding me this, I wouldn't have known that the issue was about the 840 if I haven't checked the issue once again.

Although, 2 SSD's seem pretty good, Doesn't M.2's / PCI-Express SSD's performs faster than just a regular SSD? I have suffered from excruciating boot times long enough (5-minute boot time, like wtf) and now, I want it to boot up in seconds. Putting my OS in the most fastest drive I can find is now my priority, considering the SSD and the HDD have been resolved already

SSD: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 1TB

HDD: VelociRaptor WD1000DHTZ for downloads (I often download a LOT of huge files, and copy them around with USB's / External Drives almost every single time I finished downloading it, I chose this because its the most fastest mechanical hard drive one could ever find) and Western Digital Black 4TB for storage.

i dont think there are many drives faster than 850 pro, 

and i would say for your os and applications use raid 0 in intel 350 series drives, or go for pcie ssd or m.2 drives at 10GBit/sec speed

thats the fastest you can get 

and i would say for your os and applications use raid 0 in intel 350 series drives, or go for pcie ssd or m.2 drives at 10GBit/sec speed

You won't get 10Gbit/s in practice, however. Just a fair warning

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Which of the two (PCI-E SSD or M.2) is faster? And also, could you provide a specific name/model of that product? I've seen Plextor M.2's but I want to see others

I don't really like Intel SSD's, because it goes against my color scheme (being pure silver/white in a black/red setup) and I don't trust RAIDs, one screw up of a single drive would mean total destruction of all your data - a big no no.

You won't get 10Gbit/s in practice, however. Just a fair warning

ya, i meant thats the theoritical top speed of pcie ssds,,

Which of the two (PCI-E SSD or M.2) is faster? And also, could you provide a specific name/model of that product? I've seen Plextor M.2's but I want to see others

I don't really like Intel SSD's, because it goes against my color scheme (being pure silver/white in a black/red setup) and I don't trust RAIDs, one screw up of a single drive would mean total destruction of all your data - a big no no.

A dedicated PCIe SSD will generally be faster, but more expensive. An adapter for m.2 is more common.

go for raid 10, with 2 drives, where the storage the will be half of the sum of two and you will get double the sequencial through put and safety of raid 1 ( that is anyone of the drives can fail and still you wont have any data loss)

and i think they both are more or less same speed, i am not sure enough.

A dedicated PCIe SSD will generally be faster, but more expensive. An adapter for m.2 is more common.

Any specific name or product?

go for raid 10, with 2 drives, where the storage the will be half of the sum of two and you will get double the sequencial through put and safety of raid 1 ( that is anyone of the drives can fail and still you wont have any data loss)

and i think they both are more or less same speed, i am not sure enough.

Close. Just be aware that there are multiple partitions to deal with now, so be wary of that.

Close. Just be aware that there are multiple partitions to deal with now, so be wary of that.

Exactly, setting up RAIDs are somewhat of a headache and can be very problematic, so I always avoid them. Not worth for the better sequential through put (considering the 2 or more drives required $$, and the total storage is halved), better off buying a faster/better performance drive instead.

Any specific name or product?

This is a "true" PCIe SSD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820785002

This is an M.2: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820249046&cm_re=m.2-_-20-249-046-_-Product

And an adapter: http://www.amazon.com/M2P4A-PCIe-2-0-NGFF-Adapter/dp/B00IPO7YCU

That being said, both use the PCIe connection, one is just capable of higher bandwidth.

This is a "true" PCIe SSD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820785002

This is an M.2: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820249046&cm_re=m.2-_-20-249-046-_-Product

And an adapter: http://www.amazon.com/M2P4A-PCIe-2-0-NGFF-Adapter/dp/B00IPO7YCU

That being said, both use the PCIe connection, one is just capable of higher bandwidth.

That "true" PCIe SSD is an Asus RAIDR Express, in which received a TON of bad reviews -- people complaining about having trouble making it even work, UEFI Boot and such. I still can't make my mind over this, whether or not getting one for myself. 

That "true" PCIe SSD is an Asus RAIDR Express, in which received a TON of bad reviews -- people complaining about having trouble making it even work, UEFI Boot and such. I still can't make my mind over this, whether or not getting one for myself. 

Relax, I just linked it to show the difference. I'm not saying get it, I'm saying that is the difference between the M.2 and true PCIe slot cards.

Relax, I just linked it to show the difference. I'm not saying get it, I'm saying that is the difference between the M.2 and true PCIe slot .

Yeah, I know. I just can't find any other PCIe SSD's out there, except for that RAIDR and some enterprise PCIe SSD's.

http://ocz.com/consumer/revodrive-350-pcie-ssd