Intel To Launch 10nm Cannonlake in 2017.

GRJohn

how fast they are going down my grand son probably will use nano nm tech lol

Box will show

" kindly use the microscope included in the CPU box to put CPU on mobo" LOL

CPU: i7 4790K | Ram:Corsair Vengeance 8GB | GPU: Asus R9 270 | Cooling :Corsair H100i | Storage : Intel SSD, Seagate HDDs | PSU : Corsair VS 550 | Case: CM HAF Advanced.

The difficulty in transistor shrinkage is to maintain no current to pass from source to drain when gate is off. This distance is the fab size. here as per article 10nm. So there is a limit to which this shrinkage can be done. So new methods can be done to make it closer. As the shrinkage goes by a new phenomena takes place called quantum tunneling. the power tunnels to source and drain in spite of anything we do. This is supposed to happen at 3 to 4 atom size. The radius of silicon atom is 117.6 pm; so the diameter is 235.2 pm. so 4 to 5 atom size so this will equate to 940.8 pm to 1.1nm. So that will be where the shrinkage hits a stop. Even if somehow the tunneling did not occur the limit will be 235.2 pm. People will say then quantum computing will give way to future. that is not exactly correct. quantum computer is good only for high parallel independent computation. which can be used for deep neural networks, fluid dynamics and other research application. the general processing and algorithm will be extremely slow compared to a classical processor. Intel has already showcased 10nm silicon before commercialization of 14nm @Linus @Slick

most interesting thing I had read/heard this week. thanks for all that knowledge sharing

Well, 5 nm hmmm. Without a crazy ass cooler you will have some quantum computing going on there, if you know what I mean, electrons disappearing out of nowhere.

Well, 5 nm hmmm. Without a crazy ass cooler you will have some quantum computing going on there, if you know what I mean, electrons disappearing out of nowhere.

I do not think atom appearing from no were over 5nm problem occur at subatomical level

Box will show

or it's going to be a 512 core cpu :P

I kinda doubt it atm. AMD has been at least a generation behind Intel for a while, not to mention Intel has more money to pour into designing new chips. 

Yes, Amd is behind but will have 14nm by 2016. And 10nm by 2017/2018, Remember they do not make there own chips

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

It's not possible for them to get ahead of Intel. Intel invests in their own fabs while AMD relies on Samsung or global foundries to build their chips. Right now Intel is selling 14nm chips while the other guys are still trying to get it to work.

Correction: Intel is selling 14nm chips while the other guys are still trying to get FinFET working on the 20nm node. So, not only was TSMC's 20nm tech garbage, but the 16nmFF was really the same horrible 20nm with FF, leading to the disaster which has forced Nvidia to change to Samsung's foundries. It's a firestorm and Intel has no real competition until mid 2016 at the earliest, hence the 10nm delays. If Intel wanted it could dive headfirst into using multi-level patterning to build 10nm chips since EUV is out of the game right now.

https://www.semiwiki.com/forum/content/3884-who-will-lead-10nm.html

Yes, Amd is behind but will have 14nm by 2016. And 10nm by 2017/2018, Remember they do not make there own chips

No, AMD will have Samsung's "14nmFF" process, but the truth is that's still just 20nm with FF if you read the article just above. It's barely better than Intel's 22nmFF chips.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

The difficulty in transistor shrinkage is to maintain no current to pass from source to drain when gate is off. This distance is the fab size. here as per article 10nm. So there is a limit to which this shrinkage can be done. So new methods can be done to make it closer. As the shrinkage goes by a new phenomena takes place called quantum tunneling. the power tunnels to source and drain in spite of anything we do. This is supposed to happen at 3 to 4 atom size. The radius of silicon atom is 117.6 pm; so the diameter is 235.2 pm. so 4 to 5 atom size so this will equate to 940.8 pm to 1.1nm. So that will be where the shrinkage hits a stop. Even if somehow the tunneling did not occur the limit will be 235.2 pm. People will say then quantum computing will give way to future. that is not exactly correct. quantum computer is good only for high parallel independent computation. which can be used for deep neural networks, fluid dynamics and other research application. the general processing and algorithm will be extremely slow compared to a classical processor. Intel has already showcased 10nm silicon before commercialization of 14nm @Linus @Slick

My only qualm with this is your definition of quantum computing. It would actually make something like the traveling salesman (underlying problem of GPS quickest route, using least amount of movement for robotic arms on assembly lines, etc.) easy to solve quickly. Encryption/decryption as well will become jokes before a true quantum computer.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Encryption/decryption as well will become jokes before a true quantum computer.

Current* encryption/decryption. There will be a quantum based algorythm developed (or already is) to replace the ones we have now. 

@jos good post, i agree with most of it but the limit of shrinkage. there were working transistors made out of one atom. i see no reason why with time and resources, that couldnt be industrialised into a chip.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

does this mean itll be harder to overclock the future chips then ?

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

Box will show

A die shrink doens't make the CPU any smaller.

CPUs are only getting bigger because we need more contacts, traces, etc.

There aren't going to be ITX motherboards for long

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

That's true, but AMD hasn't been researching any new architectures for 3 years now, which would allow them to invest everything in their next big release.

What are you talking about?

A new architecture takes around ~5 years to design.

They have been revising their current architecture (just as any other processor manufacture would).

Correction: Intel is selling 14nm chips while the other guys are still trying to get FinFET working on the 20nm node.

Correction: Intel is selling something 16-18nm FF, meanwhile other are working with 20nm FF.

www.semiwiki.com

the Intel 22nm process is not a true 22nm process by the standard semiconductor definition

However, the node size is almost completely irrelevant from company to company as their method of calculating their node size changes.

So, not only was TSMC's 20nm tech garbage, but the 16nmFF was really the same horrible 20nm with FF, leading to the disaster which has forced Nvidia to change to Samsung's foundries.

Couldn't this just be because samsung will have their 14/20nm FF out before TSMC would?

Their 16/20nm FF seems to scale as expected from their 28nm HPM.

It's a firestorm and Intel has no real competition until mid 2016 at the earliest, hence the 10nm delays. If Intel wanted it could dive headfirst into using multi-level patterning to build 10nm chips since EUV is out of the game right now.

https://www.semiwiki.com/forum/content/3884-who-will-lead-10nm.html

Intel do have real competition. They dont have any competition from AMD, that is true, however, AMD haven't been Intels concern for a long time.

I doubt 10nm is delayed just because Intel didn't have any "competition".

It is not just about been able to produce the chips, it is also to keep the prices down.

That is the great benefit of been a big semiconductor.

No, AMD will have Samsung's "14nmFF" process, but the truth is that's still just 20nm with FF if you read the article just above. It's barely better than Intel's 22nmFF chips.

I think we will expect their 14/20nm FF to perform around Intels 14nm.

Intels 22nm was losing for samsungs 28nm LP.

I think they have that technology already. 

They are squeezing money from everything they can before next manufacturing process.

Doubt it. If I were Intel, I'd try desperately to release everything the second it becomes profitable, and destroy AMD to bankruptcy.

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

@vm'N Broadwell is shipping and is 14nm...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadwell_(microarchitecture)

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Does that mean AMD may have 10nm chips before intel? Rumour has it they'll have them by 2016

i thought those were 14nm? 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

oh come ON intel - we don't even have skylake yet!!!!!!!!!

Roadmaps for future products are there long before even RND is starting on them. Id bet my ass that intel has internal roadmaps up to atleast 5nm right now.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

A die shrink doens't make the CPU any smaller.

CPUs are only getting bigger because we need more contacts, traces, etc.

There aren't going to be ITX motherboards for long

CPUs have been getting smaller, not bigger. Broadwell K chips will only be ~180mm sq.

Yes, unless manufacturers find a different material to reduce the heat output by then.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

Yes, unless manufacturers find a different material to reduce the heat output by then.

Not necessarily. Remember the power needed per transistor is greatly reduced. Program path lengths are also reduced, and though we are getting denser, the ratio of surface area to volume is getting better and better, which will lead to some back pressure on heating due to increased density.

Not necessarily. Remember the power needed per transistor is greatly reduced. Program path lengths are also reduced, and though we are getting denser, the ratio of surface area to volume is getting better and better, which will lead to some back pressure on heating due to increased density.

i was thinking , that because the cpu is getting smaller , that it wouldn't be able to handle higher voltages as well , therefore meaning that the cpu probably won't be able to get a higher frequency . idk if you can decipher what im trying to throw out there or not , as i have a hard time explianing my thoughts on paper lol 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

Current* encryption/decryption. There will be a quantum based algorythm developed (or already is) to replace the ones we have now. 

@jos good post, i agree with most of it but the limit of shrinkage. there were working transistors made out of one atom. i see no reason why with time and resources, that couldnt be industrialised into a chip.

The Single-Atom Transistor was invented and first demonstrated in 2004 by Prof. Thomas Schimmel and his team of scientists at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology.Here Gate electrode is a single atom is reversibly moved in and out of a tiny junction, in this way closing and opening an electrical contact. This means that fabrication process is still one atom size.

You see, this is why Intel is doing so much better than AMD in the CPU market.  They have a plan.

We know what is going to be expected with the cannonlake platform before skylake is even released.  What has AMD done to demonstrate that they have any plans in the CPU market?

i5 4670k (can OC to 4.4Ghz) - Hyper 212 evo w/ AC MX2 - XFX Radeon R9 280X8GB ADATA XPG V2 DDR3-1600 - MSI Z87 G41 - Corsair CX600M 600W PSU - 1TB HDD - 120GB SSD

You see, this is why Intel is doing so much better than AMD in the CPU market.  They have a plan.

We know what is going to be expected with the cannonlake platform before skylake is even released.  What has AMD done to demonstrate that they have any plans in the CPU market?

the only thing i can see amd doing is flying by the seat of their pants xD

Spoiler
Spoiler