Bang for the Buck Z97 Motherboard Showdown Part 4

Liked the series quite a bit, did not feel like this video added much to it. Felt like it was a rehash of a lot of the information presented in other videos (which is fine to do at the conclusion of a series of videos), but feels like it would have been better implemented at the end of part 3.

4 videos on one day is a really bad idea for a huge number of reasons that are probably not worth going through

Pre-determined release schedule is a great idea however... What I have been pushing for is that I want all of the footage shot for a series before we release any episodes... that way we know it can go through an editing queue and we don't have to worry about hardware failure or whatever else... This is extremely hard to do due to time constraints but we are trying to make it the norm int he future... that way we could say like "New episode every thursday" or whatever

Completely agree, four videos on one day is a terrible idea, much better to combine and do one long video if it were to come to that.

Another advantage of having all the footage shot before the release of any episode is it allows you to step back and even though you may have planned four episodes in the beginning you have some flexibility to possibly combine episodes and reduce to three episodes if editorially it were to make sense.  I completely understand with regards to time constraints and it can't always be possible but having some regularity is definitely a good thing and for 'information' like these motherboard videos and 'special content' like the whole room water cooling it's something that's needed.

I still stand by a longer video of the same detail is the best but it may not be for everyone, I can (and do) sit through a 30 minute video no problem but I'm not everyone there's a reason why a 6-10 minute video length is the 'norm' for Youtube.

1, 2, 5, 10 part series... does not bother me at all.  While I enjoyed the videos, what I wanted to see more of is their general performance.  You did hint on the one-button overclock thing, but looking at the boards physically, there was a stand out physical difference:  the VRMs.

I have a 3570K that works so well stock I have not needed to overclock, unlike my Phenom II X6.  Would the ability for the board to use 4, 6, or 8 phases in the physical VRM matter when you are overclocking a Haswell?  Does it need the juice?

Overall, good vid.  :)

This really needed to be one video. I know there was a lot of content and people were sick from CES, but having 4 videos really took away from the usefulness of the project.

I really don't see how. They always had annotations to the previous videos, and it made it easy to stop watching there if I wanted to do something else.

I, for one, am ready for the Linus tech tips reality date show "Whole room overheat!" Will Linus cool his burning passion, or will he burnout from the heat?

For real though, I really enjoyed this series, and await more videos on the whole room cooling.

I enjoyed this series as they are all affordable, makes a change from the many High End reviews (which are fun to watch too.)

Even though I don't need a new mother board just now, it's educated me about the things to look for when I do.

I am happy with it being 4 parts, and would have also watched one long video; a regular release schedule would have been nice but I personally am not that bothered.

Keep up the good work.

:-)

I felt like the episode was about 20% new stuff (even though the I/O coulda been part of a previous video) and 80% review.

And for the intended purpose of a "showdown" the ending was lackluster.

My 2 cents.

And no need to whine about people not enjoying the videos. Not everyone ever will.

System: Thinkpad T460

4 videos on one day is a really bad idea for a huge number of reasons that are probably not worth going through

Pre-determined release schedule is a great idea however... What I have been pushing for is that I want all of the footage shot for a series before we release any episodes... that way we know it can go through an editing queue and we don't have to worry about hardware failure or whatever else... This is extremely hard to do due to time constraints but we are trying to make it the norm int he future... that way we could say like "New episode every thursday" or whatever

I think the pre-determined release schedule or the "New Episode Every Thursday" would solve a lot of complaining. I believe that the first two editions of the Whole Room Watercooling vids were released on a Sunday, and I was under the impression (at least, at the time anyway) that you guys had done this with the intention of having the WAN show go up, followed by a really important/big series. But this would be great going forward.

ASUS Wins. I mean, they got the gold medal...

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

Still one of the most usefull series I have seen, however I would have prefered one 30-45min video.

Why would you say that people aren't into these videos? These videos are actually good and the format that you are using (parts over time) makes us get hooked to see the rest.

Apart from that, i would say that Asus and ASRock are the winners here. I simple dont like (and dont see why so many people are hyped about) Gigabyte. It looks like one of those 50 bucks boards. Yea, we don't really need emi shields and fancy heatsinks but cmon, they should at least make it look better. The MSI is good but i'm not so confortable with them for some reason. 

I really liked the parts of the video where you overlaid the various I/O panels and outlined the fan headers. This was a pretty good series of videos.

Main system

CPU: 13900KF | Motherboard: Z690 Aorus Master | GPU: RTX3080Ti FE | RAM: 32GB@5600 | Hard Drive: 2TB 970 Evo plus | Power Supply: beQuiet DarkPower 12 1000W | Cooling: Custom water loop CPU/GPU | Case: Meshify 2 XL | Operating System: Windows 10Pro | Monitor: LG 32GK65B | Keyboard: Ducky

Bedroom PC

CPU: 11700k@4800 | Motherboard: Z590 Aorus Master | GPU: RTX3080 FE | RAM: 32GB@4000 | Hard Drive: 1TB 970 Evo plus/1TB MX500 | Power Supply: Corsair RM850x | Cooling: H100i | Case: Fractal Meshify C | Operating System: Windows 10Pro | Monitor: LG 65" B2 OLED

HTPC

CPU: 10900k | Motherboard: Z490 Aorus Master | GPU: GTX1080Ti | RAM: 32GB@3600 | Hard Drive: 1TB 970 Evo plus/1TB MX500/4TB HDD | Optical Drive: BluRay | Power Supply: Corsair RM750x | Cooling: Low profile noctua | Case: SilverStone GD09B | Operating System: Windows 10Pro

I still haven't made up my mind The asus or gigabyte mother board any one hae any idea!

I have the Gigabyte board and can't really complain about it!

Useful series, thanks for putting it together gents.
It was boring, because... mainstream stuff, similar results etc... but it's useful to catch up on where the different manufacturers are with UEFI/fan headers/download speeds (Gigabyte are SOO frustrating to download from it's affected my purchasing decisions) and I'm sure be shared with others over time to help them make decisions.

CPU: FX 6300 @ stock Mobo: Gigabyte 990FX UD5 v3.0 GPU: 1 x R9 290 4GB RAM: 24GB DDR3 1600 SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB HDD: 1 x 1TB & 1 x 500GB PSU: BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W Case: Coolermaster Elite 370 (upside down due to lack of stick thermal pads for memory heatsinks) CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 GPU Coolers: Thermalright HR03-GT Fans: 5 x Akasa Apache Blacks, 1 x Corsair 120mm SP HP (GPU) & 1 x Noctua 92mm
Most of this was from mining rig, hence the scewy specs (especially PSU)

Imo, this was a good series. Not really a with the fanciest, most expensive hardware, but some boards that many people might end up using (as you said).

A possible suggestion for a possible other series of 'bang for the buck pc parts' is monitors. This is something I'd really like to see. If this has been suggested before, I'm sorry. I didn't get to read all of the comments.

Now, a general remark. I'm sure this has been said before, but the series has been streched out too far imo. I don't mind having multiple parts (even 4 or 5), as long as they are released within one week of eachother. I know it's difficult to do this (eg. going to CES in the meantime), but to me it's fairly important to get a fairly quick follow up. Filming and editing all parts of the series before releasing them might be an option, if this is possible.

Keep in mind, this is ment as constructive feedback, I'm not trying to speak ill of LMG. :P

send me all them boards(especially the one with bent pins) 

I will do a motherboard meltdown showdown

lets see some stability testing at 4.7ghz in the future

linus knows what im talking about, he used to publish epic prime95 runs for validation. i dont see any such validation anymore. #icaughtanfpsthisbig

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

I think this was an interesting series and I wouldn't mind more mid range targeted stuff. But I think this was spread out a little too long.

I feel like you guys are limited by your workflow a bit. It seems like you guys are ona daily content schedule but are also producing content in near-real time rather than having a healthy supply of stop gap videos, and as a result things get cut into pieces to have something to put up everyday.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

I'd pick up the Asus or MSI board, I'm not too fond of the brown PCB that the Z97-C has. 

Also, the outro no gud, it just cuts off right when it starts. 

to be honest it looks black anyways, i almost didnt realize it was brown.

My Steam Profile

Worth: $1004 ($416 with sales) - Games owned: 90

Games not played: 42 (47%) - Hours on record: 476.2h

The Asus is the clear winner for me, (for no reason other than the fact that i already have one)