Bang for the Buck Z97 Motherboard Showdown Part 4

Can someone explain this to me? I didn't want ot start a new thread for it, so I'll post it here.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/msi_z97_sli_krait_motherboard_review/12

How can a motherboard from the z97 line affect gaming performance, where in this video he emphasizes that the boards do NOT affect performances, and largely the more money you spend, the more features you get? Is this "review" lying?

Is driver downloading is even a thing?

This is not a network or company manufacturer's server related thing.

"BANG FOR THE BUCK Z97 mobo" it says.

Besides all this, ASUS for sure! :)

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

-snip

This is often very difficult to review as a... reviewer... we often get special treatment and that isn't fair - also who knows if you get one good OR one bad person by chance

I suppose you're right I'll just have to get you to rma my stuff so I get great customer service. 

I am the one who goes bump in the night... usually making a sandwich.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo White - Motherboard: ASUS X99 Deluxe - CPU: Intel i7 5820k - RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2666mhz ddr4 - GPU: Dual EVGA gtx 980 SSC - PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 750w - Cooler: Custom PETG Loop on cpu and gpus - Storage: 500gb Samsung 850 evo ssd, 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 3tb hdd

Unless you really need SLI/Xfire at the $100-$120 price point, then Asus wins.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Asus won, HAANDS-Down, the only thing i wish it has is SLI but its a trade-off for a so great Mobo for a great great price,

i have a Asus Z97-M Plus wich is pretty much the same as the Z97-C

ASUS MB is really good, but it's color scheme makes me sad :(

Why the HELL are you measuring freaking download speeds for their drivers/utilities?

You are talking about max 80mb to download, even if you were to download at 80kb/s, nobody would give a shit.

That part kinda ruined the "professional" look of this video series.

Good conclusion, although you could have done this in 3 video's instead of 4, apart from a quick touch on the one-click overclocking you aren't saying anything new in this video compared to the first 3.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

I like higher end motherboard videos because they woo me. Much in the same way watching videos on the GTX Titan do. But stuff like this is great when I need to be realistic and buy a new mobo. Keep doing what you're doing slick!

Woah, who was complaining they don't care about lower-end tech? Screw those people, I for one like seeing stuff I can afford being showcased.

Indeed, this video was great help for me in getting a rough idea what to look out for when planing my new build

Oh, come on! Why didn't people want this!? It is super useful cause those mainboards make sense at least from a feature and performance standpoint. And from a hardware channel I mainly want to know about stuff that makes sense and is useful to me and then maybe some extreme bullshit like the whole room water cooling on the side for shits and giggles.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

Great video as usual, but in it you said these videos weren't as possible and I don't know if this has been said but for me it feels like that wouldn't be because of the lack of quality or boring products because frankly, they're superb. But I feel like the reason these do less well than most other videos is because it only targets a very specific audience. These videos are only really interesting if you are buying a motherboard right now, if you're not buying one, there's hardly a reason to watch this, and if you're buying one in a few months, there is hardly a reason either because by then there'll be new boards and these videos will be irrelevant. So the whole group of people that watch your videos because they like computer-tech and flashy-techy stuff won't be that interested in it, because it lacks the flashy, and it lacks the usefulness. If however you ARE buying a motherboard, I think these videos are fantastic and really beneficial. Although they maybe could've been released in less than 4 parts... Busy with other stuff and trying to fill the schedule?

MSI Z97s (Krait Edition) owner here. i have go to say, its a great motherboard! The BIOS is a little confusing at first (make sure you have a mouse) but after a couple of minutes i figured it out no problem. Overclocking seemed to be easy yet i am wait on over clocking till my new CPU cooler gets here. It looks great (note : im talking about the krait edition http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130801&cm_re=msi_z97s_krait-_-13-130-801-_-Product)were the PWM headers are work great for me but your option may very on that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130801&cm_re=msi_z97s_krait-_-13-130-801-_-Product

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Its on sale for $109 buy it!

EDIT - @Slick oH yeah great videos luke! i liked them, and i know man new pc builders will like them as well.  I think they were very well done ;)

This series was very interesting.

Thank you for doing it and please don't get discouraged by the people who said they didn't like it.

just wanted to chip in and say I am really glad this series exists, a younger me would have found it incredibly helpful and as it it I will be sharing it to friends who are building.

I think maybe the series would have been nice with fewer, longer episodes, but that may just be my preference. I would love to see this continue, covering mainstream chipset generations as they arrive, expanding to be a full motherboard guide I can refer friends/enthusiasts to for builds.

oh, and unlike others in this thread, driver availability is important to me as god damn is it a massive frustration when doing standard regular maintenance. Perhaps the method surrounding that could be improved, and I would be interested to know driver stability/patching frequency but that may be wildly impractical to actually measure in any meaningful way.

anyway, good work.

Anyone else wish they would make fewer but longer videos? I feel like these 6 minute total videos are three minutes of content, and i would rather sit down and watch a twenty minute in-depth analysis like this in one sitting.

to clarify, I love the short overviews of new products, but I feel like the longer multi-part roundups and iSwitcheds would be more enjoyable to watch in one sitting, in one video.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Terve!

I have to say that I liked this series. Since I had so many dead hi end boards, I do not think that I really want one of them anymore.

It would be great to have more of it, probably on FM2+, if that still matters.

Sayonara!

For quite a few years when looking at mobo's both intel and amd, asrock came up as the best deal for features-price and i haven't had any trouble with them.

The thing is living in europe prices on pc parts are often 30-50% higher then NA. i'm not joking, a 970 will sell for 520-550$... and the same applies to mobos.

So it would be nice to see a z99, am3, anf fm2 version of this + combined video of amd and intel sockets mobos features. You always talk about

performance and price performance of cpu-s, but never about the fact they're locked to features the mobos with the socket for them provides.

And sure make it multi part, chapers style. why not? but if you upload a part once a month, you can bet you're sweet ass i'm not gona watch it. even once a week is stretching it.

U wana do a 4 - 5 part thing? either uploadthem all at once, or 1 a day is what i think moast of us will accept. anything else is bs.

Part 4 is really short to just say 2 things about a motherboard in my opinion. It needed more info. 

Other than that good video.

This video felt unnecessary, I feel like I got everything from the other 3 videos, plus this one was so short anyway.  The problem with these multi-part videos is they often get split up over a long time period.  For something like this motherboard comparison, 3 videos would have been perfectly fine if they were released in the same week.  Could have probably made it 2 longer videos instead of the 4 it ended up being.

That being said, the multi-room water cooling solution being split up how it is and the amount of parts to the overall video is a good thing because the video parts are long enough and it's not about products, it's about a solution being implemented.

Definately lots of good information in these videos but I would have liked to see some mention of AMD boards because there are slight differences and as these videos are aimed at people building a computer on a budget going with AMD does often get you more performance per <unit of currency>.

Part 4, totally wasn't necessary and it should have been a 3 part segment. Part 4 being made as just closer and all these 5a multiple part junk pollutes our inboxs. It also makes it feel like you spending money on one segment to break it up to multiple videos just to earn more ad revenue. 

It being over a month was rough but if this whole thing was condensed to 10-12 minutes it would be terrible

Yes condensing it down to 10-12 min would be terrible but the problem is the long drawn out nature of some of these multi part videos that is quite tiring and because you have no announced release schedule no-one has any idea when a series will end and therefore cannot even make an informed decision until the last part is out.

There's a few solutions, you can take all four parts and put them all in one video, if you must have four videos for whatever reason (adverts/money) then upload all four videos on the same day is an option or simply announce this is a four part series and one part will be released for the next four "Thursdays" giving people a specific date when they will have all the information and a final answer.

I do understand the appeal of the 'randomness' in the upload of the multi part videos I've watched every part of this purely because it was your only video of the day, four videos on one day I may have only watched part one and the conclusion (depends on the topic in question though), and knowing the last part would have been today at the beginning I may have saved them to watch closer to the finale but then risk only ever watching the conclusion, however if it was one longer video I would watch that because it's your one video of the day and all of the video is relevant right then on the same day.

I admit it's a dilemma, it also depends on the content, the iMac series (first three parts) could only ever have been a multi part series as that was something that was developing over time and it can only be released when it's ready not on a schedule.

I don't know if multi part videos are going to carry on going forward, I know in the last part of the iMac series you said you acknowledged people were complaining about doing too many multi part videos, but if they do they need to be better thought out in relation to the content of the video and what you want people to take from the video.

Longer detailed videos as opposed to multi part are definitely superior in my book.

-snip-

4 videos on one day is a really bad idea for a huge number of reasons that are probably not worth going through

Pre-determined release schedule is a great idea however... What I have been pushing for is that I want all of the footage shot for a series before we release any episodes... that way we know it can go through an editing queue and we don't have to worry about hardware failure or whatever else... This is extremely hard to do due to time constraints but we are trying to make it the norm int he future... that way we could say like "New episode every thursday" or whatever

I really liked the videos and it solidified my idea of what board to get in the $300 NZ ish range, MSI Gaming 7 based on the general BIOS experience and usability.

Thank you Sluke for the series.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

This really needed to be one video. I know there was a lot of content and people were sick from CES, but having 4 videos really took away from the usefulness of the project.