Good Gaming Laptop for College/Games/Work

LZ Holy Narwhal

Heya,

I'm a little new to all the PC gaming stuff, because I'm coming from console gaming. I still do it, but I'm playing on PC more too.

I just need a new laptop to handle the gaming. After watching some videos, I'm a little caught between the MSI GT80 Titan and the Venom Blackbook 15/17 because I'm a little lower budget because of my family's fiscal issues. I would really love some advice. For example, I'm not sure about the differences between the Blackbook 15 and 17. Or would I be better off customizing a laptop somewhere else? Some other people gave me that advice, so I'd like some advice here.

Thanks!

Well the GT80 is over $3K for the baseline so I assume you aren't going with that...

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

Heya,

I'm a little new to all the PC gaming stuff, because I'm coming from console gaming. I still do it, but I'm playing on PC more too.

I just need a new laptop to handle the gaming. After watching some videos, I'm a little caught between the MSI GT80 Titan and the Venom Blackbook 15/17 because I'm a little lower budget because of my family's fiscal issues. I would really love some advice. For example, I'm not sure about the differences between the Blackbook 15 and 17. Or would I be better off customizing a laptop somewhere else? Some other people gave me that advice, so I'd like some advice here.

Thanks!

Hey there, welcome to the forums!

Hope we can help. I don't know much about laptops. Personally out of the two if go

For the venom. It's much more porable. (The point of laptops in my opinion ). The msi one kind of defeats the purpose, despite it's nice features.

Anyhow. Plenty more people will know more models that will interest you, best of luck!

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Your so called budget is what if you are looking at the 2 most expensive laptops on the market. The venom is overpriced and titan is super expensive. Don't think they are the best because Linus did a video on them, don't dick ride. Do some research before just deciding out of your ass and referring it later. I reccomend a desktop but if you have to have a laptop get a sag.

I think around 2K or so would be fine. Some people recommended XOTIC notebooks, so that's another consideration.

I'd also like it if the graphics could be really up-to-date, or at least very close as I want this to last. That, or the laptops be upgradable.

I think around 2K or so would be fine. Some people recommended XOTIC notebooks, so that's another consideration.

I'd also like it if the graphics could be really up-to-date, or at least very close as I want this to last. That, or the laptops be upgradable.

XoticPC is fine. The "venom" books are simply rebranded Clevo notebooks, so you can get them under "Sager" at XoticPC, and at a better price too. Feel free to look them up.

How much elbow grease are you willing to put into that notebook? Depending on how much you are willing to do, I can recommend the machine that's best for you. The highest-end performance notebooks require at least a little bit of user customization to make them perform perfectly.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

XoticPC is fine. The "venom" books are simply rebranded Clevo notebooks, so you can get them under "Sager" at XoticPC, and at a better price too. Feel free to look them up.

How much elbow grease are you willing to put into that notebook? Depending on how much you are willing to do, I can recommend the machine that's best for you. The highest-end performance notebooks require at least a little bit of user customization to make them perform perfectly.

I wouldn't mind doing any work; it'd be nice to learn so that I could help other people do this stuff as well. Thanks!

Im not really good with laptops but i have heard theses ones:
- Aorus X3/X7/X7V2 (Really nice dual gpu laptops, not sure about battery life, maybe check linus' reviews.)

- Lenovo y50

- Dell XPS13 (Linus is reviewing that now)

If your looking for something towards gaming your battery life probably isnt gonna be amazing. But what ever you do, STEER CLEAR OF ALIENWARE overpriced majorly. I may not be right but yeah.

[Case Mod] Operation: The Division --- > Here

[CUSTOM WATER COOLED TABLE] Project: Ravage ---> Here

-== QUOTE ME IN YOUR REPLY IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND ==-

I wouldn't mind doing any work; it'd be nice to learn so that I could help other people do this stuff as well. Thanks!

1 - Do you want SLI?

2 - Do you care about your CPU clocks holding no matter what load you put it through?

3 - What's your max budget?

4 - Do you care about long battery life, or would you prefer no Optimus (assuming you do not wish to get SLI)?

5 - Is this being purchased in the US?

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

1 - Do you want SLI?

2 - Do you care about your CPU clocks holding no matter what load you put it through?

3 - What's your max budget?

4 - Do you care about long battery life, or would you prefer no Optimus (assuming you do not wish to get SLI)?

5 - Is this being purchased in the US?

Sure, I would like SLI. That's pretty much what the MSI GT80 has right? Several NVidia cards?

Yes, I do care.

My max budget is about $3000 I believe.

I don't care about long battery life really, because this is going to be used mainly plugged in.

Yes, it is being purchased in the US.

EDIT: Few other things too,

I looked at the XoticPC list for 17.3" screens, and I've heard a few things about Asus having bad customer service or some iffy computer systems. That true?

Also, the GeForce 980 is the latest card, right? I'm a little confused with it showing both the Intel i7 and the Nvidia card. They're both in the notebook, so it should be fine to run all the latest games and future ones too, right?

EDIT: Few other things too,

I looked at the XoticPC list for 17.3" screens, and I've heard a few things about Asus having bad customer service or some iffy computer systems. That true?

Also, the GeForce 980 is the latest card, right? I'm a little confused with it showing both the Intel i7 and the Nvidia card. They're both in the notebook, so it should be fine to run all the latest games and future ones too, right?

980M is the latest, yes. Also, ASUS does have a "randomness" to it. If you get it, there is a fairly high chance you'll get a terrible model, and ASUS support is terrible. 

Anyway, the nicest model you can get would be the P377SM-A, called the Sager NP9377-S. You should be able to get SLI 980Ms, a 1TB 7200RPM HGST Travelstar HDD, a CPU upgrade, a 120GB SSD and 3 years warranty for that price (or just about). You could always add more SSD storage later when you have more disposable cash. Everything in there will be socketed as well. I can also confirm that you can set the CPU to do whatever you want it to do and it'll hold once set up correctly.

If you want the most out of it, you'll need to source a couple parts aftermarket though; namely a CPU heatsink and a Slave GPU heatsink. But the stock cooling system will perform perfectly fine for the moment. That model also comes with IC Diamond too, which is quite good in cooling before hitting liquid metal pastes.

Xps 13 :) ... Umm... You say you are on a budget .. But are caught between venom book and MSI gt80...

Either you are crazy rich or you are a retard or you don't have enough know how or its a typo or you don't know the price of these notebooks ... I find the first option and the last option more probable :S

How to make your droids snappier:

The ultimate laptop buying guide :