Is Borderlands 2 just not optimized for AMD hardware?

Go to solution Solved by rashdanml,

Most likely due to the PhysX effects, which is specific to Nvidia cards. Switch the card back, disable it, and then back to the AMD card and it might be less of a hassle. You may also be able to edit the .ini files to change the settings.

So, I'm playing away in Borderlands 2 with my 7870 ghz and my amd 6100 and I'm getting great frame rates and everything but then I'll go into a firefight or heavy battle and my framerate drastically drops down to around 20 or less.....  I believe it is because of all the particles that Borderlands 2 generates because I will go in and mess around with a setting or two and the particles will get reset and my problem goes away.  Now I just switched to this card from a gtx 460 so I had PhysX running at medium or high or whatever.

Is this causing all these particles to appear? Because now that I'm on my 7870, I can't switch PhysX off.  I don't know if it's being used at all, but I'm wondering if that's causing the problem or if it's just that my cpu can't handle everything.  Anyone having similar problems?

Most likely due to the PhysX effects, which is specific to Nvidia cards. Switch the card back, disable it, and then back to the AMD card and it might be less of a hassle. You may also be able to edit the .ini files to change the settings.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

The game is slightly glitched. With the new DLC, there's a spot that my FPS just dips for no reason. For reference, I'm running two 660 Ti's in SLI. Both hit a maximum frequency of almost 1.2GHz.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I have a MSI 7950 and i don't get any frame rate drops and i have everything on and maxed out.

CPU: Intel i5 3570k 4.2GHz with Corsair H100 RAM: Corsair 16GB (4x4) SSD: Samsung 840 120GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Strix GTX 1080 

PSU: OCZ 650W CASE: Fractal Define R5

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/MelchiorVester/saved/#view=RKNXsY

physx is probably running off your cpu then and borderlands 2 is already very cpu heavy without that added on so its understandable why your frame rate is dipping, you should be able to tweak an ini file to get physx turned back off and you should be good to go

physx is probably running off your cpu then and borderlands 2 is already very cpu heavy without that added on so its understandable why your frame rate is dipping, you should be able to tweak an ini file to get physx turned back off and you should be good to go

If the PhysX option isn't grayed out in-game, he can turn it off from there.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

If the PhysX option isn't grayed out in-game, he can turn it off from there.

He stated that he cant switch it off in the op which to me says its grayed out

I have a physx problem as well with my 7870 xt paired with an i3, im getting a fx8320 very soon which im looking forward but it bugs me as the physx looks awesome .

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

PhysX is running of your CPU, turn it of in the ini file.

AMD Radeon 7870 Gigabyte OC / Intel i5 3570k / ASrock Z77 Pro4 /Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm / Kingston HyperX T1 2x4GB 1600mhz / SeaSonic 520w M12 / Thermaltake v4 Black

Turn off Physx. You have AMD and physx is meant to run awfully on AMD. 

I have a 7970m in my laptop (Basically the same card as the desktop 7870 and I run the game maxed out (minus physx) at 1440p just fine (~40-50fps) so you shouldn't have any trouble. 

Turn off Physx. You have AMD and physx is meant to run awfully on AMD.

Wrong. It's meant to run awfully on CPUs. Intel or AMD.

Wrong. It's meant to run awfully on CPUs. Intel or AMD.

Of course it runs awfully on CPUs period. I meant it runs poorly with systems using AMD GPUs because AMD GPUs can't do physx at all so it's given to the CPU which is why the TC has an issue. He has an AMD GPU. The only way to do it with an AMD GPU is using a separate Nvidia card as a physx card which iirc doesn't even work anymore. 

ok, so how do i get to the .ini file? I don't have my Nvidia card anymore