Gigabyte GTX 970 WindForce 3x - Overclocking results (Not G1 Gaming)

So I finally managed it to overclock my Gigabyte GTX 970 WindForce 3x (Not G1 Gaming edition) card without artifacts. I used MSI Afterburner.

My settings:

Power target: 112%

GPU clock offset: +186MHz

Mem clock offset: +355MHz

I haven't changed anything with the Voltage.

In Unigine Heaven I got 59.1 AVG FPS before I overclocked and I got 68.3 FPS after I overclocked! I gained 9.2 FPS wich is really awesome. Remember that I was in 1680x1050.  I've done the benchmark on max settings without V-Sync. 

In FurMark I get an average of 78/77FPS and a max temperature of 84°C on the 1080 preset.

In Far Cry 4 when gaming in 1440p/Ultra/SSBC/SMAA I get an average of 52FPS. 

Edit: I even overvoltaged my GPU by +85mV and I was capable of overclocking more.  But sadly just by +10MHz. I've set it up to +196MHz instead of +186MHz.

CPU i7 4790 - GPU Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce 3x OC - RAM 2x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury - MOBO Asus B85M-E - Case CM Silencio 550 Storage 2x 1TB WD Red - OS Windows 8.1 OEM - Phone OnePlus One 64GB Sandstone Black

What's the actual clockspeed? (Telling us the offset doesn't really tell us anything, because we don't really know what it was running at before the offset)

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

I managed 1555mhz on core and 7550mhz on memory with the same GPU model

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

68 fps on 1680x1050?

I get 65 fps on 1080p so it sounds liek you have a significant bottleneck somewhere

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Lucky, this is what I have my G1 Gaming set at, goes to show that the 'gauntlet' selection process is utter BS in every way:

post-155575-0-77731100-1422742261.jpg

post-155575-0-70223400-1422742339.jpg

68 fps on 1680x1050?

I get 65 fps on 1080p so it sounds liek you have a significant bottleneck somewhere

He's running an i7 so....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

What's the actual clockspeed? (Telling us the offset doesn't really tell us anything, because we don't really know what it was running at before the offset)

Default GPU clock was at: 1114MHz and Boost at 1253MHz.

Memory default clock was at 1753.

Overclocked GPU is at: 1294MHz and Boost at 1433MHz.

Overclocked Memory is at 1928MHz.

CPU i7 4790 - GPU Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce 3x OC - RAM 2x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury - MOBO Asus B85M-E - Case CM Silencio 550 Storage 2x 1TB WD Red - OS Windows 8.1 OEM - Phone OnePlus One 64GB Sandstone Black

I managed 1555mhz on core and 7550mhz on memory with the same GPU model

That's strange... When I clocked the GPU speed or Memory speed higher, I got artifacts like colorful flickering and some unwanted pixel over the screen in Unigine Heaven.

68 fps on 1680x1050?

The G1 Gaming edition costs a bit more and is a bit better at overclocking. But I get 59.4 FPS on the highest settings on Unigine Heaven 4.0 at 1080p.

(My CPU throttled at this time)

Lucky, this is what I have my G1 Gaming set at, goes to show that the 'gauntlet' selection process is utter BS in every way:

moc.JPG

moc2.JPG

I don't think that is utter bs.

My G1 Gaming goes 1500Mhz/8GHZ (yeah, 8Ghz on memory) at stock voltages.

The memory can be pushed more, but i'm too lazy and scared of testing.

If I add voltage I can go to 1560-70, and the memory remains the same.

I discovered that the memory OC really helps, at least in FC3, it gives a huge boost in FPS.

I don't think that is utter bs.

My G1 Gaming goes 1500Mhz/8GHZ (yeah, 8Ghz on memory) at stock voltages.

The memory can be pushed more, but i'm too lazy and scared of testing.

If I add voltage I can go to 1560-70, and the memory remains the same.

I discovered that the memory OC really helps, at least in FC3, it gives a huge boost in FPS.

My point was, I have to overvolt by insane amounts to get it running the same overclock as even people with the Windforce cards. Which goes to show that it has to be one of the worst GTX 970s, and not worth the money I paid for it.

PMSL

My point was, I have to overvolt by insane amounts to get it running the same overclock as even people with the Windforce cards. Which goes to show that it has to be one of the worst GTX 970s, and not worth the money I paid for it.

How much can you actually push your voltage up before it gets dangerous?

Without voltage increases, I got mine to:

1. In games and benchmarks -> +210 (1526mhz) core and +0 (3506mhz) mem. I couldn't push memory, no matter what I do, it resets back to +0. Oh well
  2. In Folding Home and Boinc Tasks -> +182 (1498mhz) core and +0 (3506mhz) mem. Again, couldn't OC the memory.

Pretty decent, considering no voltage add, and shjty airflow inside my case.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Im curious how much this overclocking increases actual FPS in games. When I look at online benchmarks between a factory overclock of say an extra 200 mhz and a stock card on a game like BF4, I see like 2 or 3 fps difference, that's part of the reason I went with an Nvidia reference 970(which I somewhat regret).

Can anyone tell me how many FPS more they get in bf4 with their OC? (since im familiar with benchmarks for that game). Just doesn't seem like overclocking matters that much in most cases.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

Im curious how much this overclocking increases actual FPS in games. When I look at online benchmarks between a factory overclock of say an extra 200 mhz and a stock card on a game like BF4, I see like 2 or 3 fps difference, that's part of the reason I went with an Nvidia reference 970(which I somewhat regret).

Can anyone tell me how many FPS more they get in bf4 with their OC? (since im familiar with benchmarks for that game). Just doesn't seem like overclocking matters that much in most cases.

That depends on CPU. And the map. And the amount of stuff you have installed on your PC.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

That depends on CPU. And the map. And the amount of stuff you have installed on your PC.

I understand that, that's why im asking people for the before OC and after OC FPS for someone on their own rig, in which the only thing that changed is the clock speed on their GPU, and maybe the memory(which Ive heard results in little to no FPS gain). Obviously a 4790K will get higher FPS in bf4 than an I3 even with the same GPU, especially on multiplayer.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

How much can you actually push your voltage up? Is it dangerous pushint the voltage to more than +20 up? Bicause sometimes I get only a little bit artifacts when I overclocked and I get throttling sometimes.

+87mV, and even at 150MHz it artifacts and is unstable. And to think I went to the trouble of spending $180 on a new PSU for it as well. Nvidia cards have an inbuilt voltage limiter, so you can have it maxed out and it shouldn't adversely affect the graphics card.

PMSL

I'll tell it tomorrow, when I'll get the Battlefield Hardline Beta, okay? ;)

attachicon.gifmoc.JPG

attachicon.gifmoc2.JPG

Yep my G1 gaming barley manages 1530 stable. I can push 1580 but im lucky to finish a benchmark - Im running a custom BIOS to get more volts as well... without it I was getting 1510 stable.

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

• 1 month later...

I really regret, I don't bought the G1 gaming card instead of the Windforce card in terms of the sag and overclocking.

• 1 year later...
On 1/31/2015 at 10:08 PM, TheRetiredSlave said:

About 1114MHz