At a loss; the Same Price for H97+I5 4590 and MSI-970+FX-8350

Guys, I am from india and the prices of imported stuff could get rather absurd around here - espeacily if you dont live in the big cities. In my area  Gigabyte H97+I5 4590 costs 330$ and MSI-970+FX-8350 costs 347$. I primarily game on my system so which would be the better of the two builds. My psu is 500w corsair and gpu is gtx670 so that shouldnt be a problem. Btw, I am upgrading from a 2nd gen I3.

Guys, I am from india and the prices of imported stuff could get rather absurd around here - espeacily if you dont live in the big cities. In my area  Gigabyte H97+I5 4590 costs 330$ and MSI-970+FX-8350 costs 347$. I primarily game on my system so which would be the better of the two builds. My psu is 500w corsair and gpu is gtx670 so that shouldnt be a problem. Btw, I am upgrading from a 2nd gen I3.

get the h97+i5

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

Go with the Intel combo, and keep the 4690.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Easily the i5. The i5 straight out beats the 8350 in basically 99% of games and offers a much better gaming experience. Also it costs less and gives you more performance. absolute no brainer here

Thanks guys for your quick answers. The thing that even got me to consider the Fx(I have been using intel since 1995) was this benchmark

of it on youtube beating 3rd gen I7s in gaming. 

Intel. But get a 4460 instead.

4590 is 200$ and 4460 is 188$ here. And for some reason 4570 is 215$! I dont think the guys at the store understand what they are selling. Might have drove 500km to a big city but that would cost me even more. Sometimes I wish things were more reasonably priced here.

Thanks guys for your quick answers. The thing that even got me to consider the Fx(I have been using intel since 1995) was this benchmark

of it on youtube beating 3rd gen I7s in gaming. 

That is for a "last gen" i5 and in a multithreaded app, he said they the 8350 bets it if you are gonna stream, but alone in gaming, i5 beats it (even more with the new ones).

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

Grab the i5 for gaming.

Its simply a better allrounder for gaming.

And i say this as a FX8350 user.

@Xaring is right about Logans video.

This is an older video about gaming + streaming with Xplit.

Not pure gaming.

Definitely go with Intel bundle.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

I had a similar dilemma. I just ordered an Asrock H97m Anniversary and i5 4460. For the money, seems like a great combo. You should look into the intel combo, especially for gaming.

i've used both the 8350 (8320 @ 4.5ghz) right now i have the i5 (4690k @ 4.5ghz) the i5 bitch slaps the 8350/20 no competition. in almost every game i played the minimum frames were significantly lower on the 8 core. i can't really speak for those youtube benchmarks but for a strictly gamer the i5 is the only way to go.

i've used both the 8350 (8320 @ 4.5ghz) right now i have the i5 (4690k @ 4.5ghz) the i5 bitch slaps the 8350/20 no competition. in almost every game i played the minimum frames were significantly lower on the 8 core. i can't really speak for those youtube benchmarks but for a strictly gamer the i5 is the only way to go.

in most games they perform about the same.  in the couple games that fx doesnt do good in, the i5 gets much better fps.

cpu:i7-4770k    gpu: msi reference r9 290x  liquid cooled with h55 and hg10 a1     motherboard:z97x gaming 5   ram:gskill sniper 8 gb

in most games they perform about the same.  in the couple games that fx doesnt do good in, the i5 gets much better fps.

i've seen those benchmarks. that's what convinced me to get the 8 core. however once i put my 8 core to the test i wasn't very satisfied with the smoothness of the gameplay. i think this might have been due to a bigger fluctuation in fps. like i said once i was able to compare it to my i5 the minimum fps on the 8 core was much lower. With my i5 the gameplay is soooo smooth.

Also it ran hotter and the heat threshold is significantly lower to the i5 as well. my fans were going loud as hell so i could try to keep the thing just under 70 C while gaming. As opposed to my i5 which i have the fans running whisper quiet and can it runs at low 70s while gaming which is perfectly fine for that cpu. That's with both of them OC'd at 4.5ghz btw @ stock the fans weren't going so loud on the 8 core.

i'm just putting in my 2 cents, everyone is free to buy what they want. i just don't want any gamers to make the same mistake i made. if you're going to be doing a lot of rendering and stuff though the 8 core definitely starts becoming a more viable option. It's hard to beat it at that price range. However i only use my pc for gaming.

i've seen those benchmarks. that's what convinced me to get the 8 core. however once i put my 8 core to the test i wasn't very satisfied with the smoothness of the gameplay. i think this might have been due to a bigger fluctuation in fps. like i said once i was able to compare it to my i5 the minimum fps on the 8 core was much lower. With my i5 the gameplay is soooo smooth.

Also it ran hotter and the heat threshold is significantly lower to the i5 as well. my fans were going loud as hell so i could try to keep the thing just under 70 C while gaming. As opposed to my i5 which i have the fans running whisper quiet and can it runs at low 70s while gaming which is perfectly fine for that cpu. That's with both of them OC'd at 4.5ghz btw @ stock the fans weren't going so loud on the 8 core.

i'm just putting in my 2 cents, everyone is free to buy what they want. i just don't want any gamers to make the same mistake i made. if you're going to be doing a lot of rendering and stuff though the 8 core definitely starts becoming a more viable option. It's hard to beat it at that price range. However i only use my pc for gaming.

the whole "mininum" framerate issue was pretty much solved with omega drivers for people who used amd gpus. when i was @4.5ghz or higher i no longer had framerate drops before omega. no doubt the i5 is the better choice. but from my personal experience the 8350 was a beast in most games i play and even handled dual 280x's very well.

i do admit it has its weaknesses and isnt the best choice which is why i moved to 4770k (that and the 4770k was a deal no one could refuse :D )

cpu:i7-4770k    gpu: msi reference r9 290x  liquid cooled with h55 and hg10 a1     motherboard:z97x gaming 5   ram:gskill sniper 8 gb