R9 280x not boosting to 1000mhz

thorpj

Hi, 

I have posted before (apologies to zappian if you're seeing this!), but that topic died, after i thought it was solved.

My XFX r9 280x DD isn't boosting to 1000mhz. I set the GPU clock settings to 1000mhz in CCC, and it worked. it boosted to 1000mhz in crysis 3 and valley.

After a reboot, it's not going past the usual 850mhz max.

Info below:

thanks in advance

wsNn7NB.jpg

uwP5S3H.png

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Download MSI afterburner and OC there.

No one uses that for OC.

You need need to bump the voltage by 5 MV.

Hi again :)

I don't get how it doesn't achieve the same thing. Change clock speed to 1000mhz. 

But if CCC's OC isn't going to stick, then MSI Afterburner it is.

Will an OC in MSI scale, or be static at 1000mhz?

And do i really need to change voltages? You never mentioned that last time, and it worked just fine at normal voltages before. I don't want to make temps worse :D

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Hi again :)

I don't get how it doesn't achieve the same thing. Change clock speed to 1000mhz. 

But if CCC's OC isn't going to stick, then MSI Afterburner it is.

Will an OC in MSI scale, or be static at 1000mhz?

And do i really need to change voltages? You never mentioned that last time, and it worked just fine at normal voltages before. I don't want to make temps worse :D

Try it in MSI afterburner without changing voltages.

The best thing to do is to test the OC in 50 mhz increments.

The clock is the same.

Don't use CCC, it's bad. Reset it, install MSI afterburner, overclock the card, check the "apply overclock at system startup" box, reboot, profit.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Use MSI Afterburner to apply the overclock.

The OC will be to the base clock. It will not boost any further.

Just remember to assign the profile to a number, enable "Apply overclocking at system startup" and to make Afterburner start with Windows in the settings.

Your XFX DD has its boost clock originally at 1000Mhz so you don't have to touch the voltage in Afterburner.

Ok,

That's what i thought. This card is supposed to be doing 1000 boost out of the box, but it won't.

You need to increase the power limit. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Don't use CCC, it's bad. Reset it, install MSI afterburner, overclock the card, check the "apply overclock at system startup" box, reboot, profit.

Use MSI Afterburner to apply the overclock.

The OC will be to the base clock. It will not boost any further.

Just remember to assign the profile to a number, enable "Apply overclocking at system startup" and to make Afterburner start with Windows in the settings.

Your XFX DD has its boost clock originally at 1000Mhz so you don't have to touch the voltage in Afterburner.

Try it in MSI afterburner without changing voltages.

The best thing to do is to test the OC in 50 mhz increments.

The clock is the same.

Brilliant!

I applied it in Afterburner, and it works, even after a restart! Now i see why CCC is inferior :)

thanks so much for your help, everyone (again Zappian!)

And, i don't think i'll ever get over how good Crysis 3 looks :D