Any Pentium G3258 Owners?

So, I've rather recently discovered what a hidden gem this processor is, before, I never even paid a bit of attention to it, just because of the fact that it's a Pentium. But, I happen to see some benchmarks of it recently, and damn, overclock it a bit and it'll make a 4690k sweat.

Sure, it's not going to have the raw computing power of an i5, but, it's single-core performance is almost identical and it costs a third as much. So my curiosity has just been sparked about it, and I was hoping to find a few people who own it and just hear what you guys have to say about it, if you enjoy it, if you have issues, whatever.

Thanks!

It won't make a Core i5 sweat

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Just wait until you start playing games that thread well, i5 will be laughing like a maniac while the Pentium stutters.

@Parkergk

An i5 sweat vs the pentium? It can barely make an I3 sweat, let alone an I5

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

@Parkergk

Yeah i find funny when people say the pentium destroys the i3 when it cant even open DAI.

Just wait until you start playing games that thread well, i5 will be laughing like a maniac while the Pentium stutters.

@Parkergk

And, do any of you actually own one?

And you do realize that average fps is not the only thing to look at?

The G3258 has (proven many times):

- MUCH worse frametime variance (Perceived as stutter)

- Much lower minimum frame rates

- Can't even run DAI or FC4

Also I OC'd one for my mates' console killer build, he regrets his purchase and will swap to broadwell I3/I5 as soon as he can

Edit: Also that video showing high minimums is horseshit

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

And you do realize that average fps is not the only thing to look at?

The G3258 has (proven many times):

- MUCH worse frametime variance (Perceived as stutter)

- Much lower minimum frame rates

- Can't even run DAI or FC4

Also I OC'd one for my mates' console killer build, he regrets his purchase and will swap to broadwell I3/I5 as soon as he can

Edit: Also that video showing high minimums is horseshit

What made you assume that I only look at averages?0

I very much doubt it can't run DAI because I play that on my 3+ year old Phenom II 960.

And how can you prove that it's horseshit? Do you believe that he in some way padded the results?

Sure. Got a fresh one that arrived yesterday a few inches from my hands as well.

202a9910ffce8128646b9b238441a90f.png

The G3258 is great if you don't need the extra cores. Like any cpu, it's great if it does the job. Not much else matters once you have enough when it comes to things like gaming.

Does it make the i5 sweat? --only if you don't need the extra threads.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Do you believe that he in some way padded the results?

Yes I do because I've seen it first hand that the G3258 feels A LOT less smooth than my gear and I'm not talking about fps 

Yes I do because I've seen it first hand that the G3258 feels A LOT less smooth than my gear and I'm not talking about fps 

And what do believe he stands to gain by doing such a thing?

And what do believe he stands to gain by doing such a thing?

What does anyone gain from padding? Don't ask me. Maybe he is sponsored to pad the results, maybe there are other things that made him do this.

Don't ask me why he would pad but I say that these results are not 100% true as I've only experienced the opposite of what that guy is saying

What does anyone gain from padding? Don't ask me. Maybe he is sponsored to pad the results, maybe there are other things that made him do this.

Don't ask me why he would pad but I say that these results are not 100% true as I've only experienced the opposite of what that guy is saying

The results don't seem padded. Much of the results probably have more to do with testing methodology. 

Smooth for what? The G3258 should hold up just fine for non-heavily threaded gaming.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Smooth for what? The G3258 should hold up just fine for non-heavily threaded gaming.

It should (as I heard, that's why I got him the G3258 in his console killer build) but when he played on it he complained about seemingly low fps. When I came over it was stuttering regularly even in league of legends. I even took the G3258 to my PC and I tested it in my machine and got the same amount of stutter he got.

I own one, in fact, one that overclocks pretty well (4.4GHz on 1.18V vcore on the stock cooler). It's not a good CPU. There is a night and day difference in gaming on my $250 3.6GHz Xeon E3-1231v3 vs my 4.4 GHz OC G3258 with my GTX 970. The Pentium is a stuttering mess that constantly oscillates between 40 and 60FPS in games with high/ultra settings while the Xeon gives extremely smooth performance. The Pentium kept my GPU usage around 60% with frequent drops into the 30s and 40s, the Xeon keeps my GPU usage at or near 100%. Aint no free lunch: good gaming processors cost money and a Pentium will only make an i5 sweat in older games optimized for the Core 2 Duo.

Now obviously no one in his right mind should pair a Pentium with a GTX 970, and I was only doing that for a week while waiting to get paid so I could get my Xeon since I jumped a little early on a 970 on sale.

It should (as I heard, that's why I got him the G3258 in his console killer build) but when he played on it he complained about seemingly low fps. When I came over it was stuttering regularly even in league of legends. I even took the G3258 to my PC and I tested it in my machine and got the same amount of stutter he got.

Well, it's quite possible don't you think, that there was an issue with that particular unit? Considering the fact that no one else seems to have experienced the same problem?

I even googled Pentium G3258 stuttering, but didn't find anything like that.

What everyone has failed to notice is that in that video he is using a GTX 760. If it was a 280X or a 770 the G3258 would be bottlenecking the hell out of it in any well optimized game (BF4 as a primary example).

I've owned/given away a G3258 w/R9 280X and it performed extremely well in games that favored IPC>core count. DOTA2 ran at 120Hz locked 1080p, Diablo 3 surprisingly ran at 55-60fps 90% of the time, and emulated games loved this thing. However, there is a disclaimer, the G3258 was OC'd to 4.7-4.8GHz for gaming and could bench in at 5.025GHz for brief stints (my results over in the Cinebench thread).

Main point is that like any tool, it's only good for its intended use. If you're going to use the dual core for older titles it's going to perform exceptionally well, especially when paired with an appropriate GPU (R7's, R9 260/270, 750ti, 760, 960, etc). If you're going after AAA title high/ultra settings @ 1080p it'll run considerably worse than an i3 w/hyperthreading, anything higher than 1080p and 770/970+ territory it'll run like absolute trash.

Right tool for the job gentlemen.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

What everyone has failed to notice is that in that video he is using a GTX 760. If it was a 280X or a 770 the G3258 would be bottlenecking the hell out of it in any well optimized game (BF4 as a primary example).

I've owned/given away a G3258 w/R9 280X and it performed extremely well in games that favored IPC>core count. DOTA2 ran at 120Hz locked 1080p, Diablo 3 surprisingly ran at 55-60fps 90% of the time, and emulated games loved this thing. However, there is a disclaimer, the G3258 was OC'd to 4.7-4.8GHz for gaming and could bench in at 5.025GHz for brief stints (my results over in the Cinebench thread).

Main point is that like any tool, it's only good for its intended use. If you're going to use the dual core for older titles it's going to perform exceptionally well, especially when paired with an appropriate GPU (R7's, R9 260/270, 750ti, 760, 960, etc). If you're going after AAA title high/ultra settings @ 1080p it'll run considerably worse than an i3 w/hyperthreading, anything higher than 1080p and 770/970+ territory it'll run like absolute trash.

So much this

Well, it's quite possible don't you think, that there was an issue with that particular unit? Considering the fact that no one else seems to have experienced the same problem?

I even googled Pentium G3258 stuttering, but didn't find anything like that.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-pentium-g3258-review

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pentium-g3258-overclocking-performance,3849-5.html

Go to the frame time segments

Even CPU light games like Tomb Raider ran terribly on my Pentium in most parts of the game. The one exception for newer games was Bioshock Infinite, where even pinned to 100% on both cores the Pentium ran the game like a champ with VSync to 60FPS. No stutter whatsoever and a very consistent 60FPS, as well as a consistent 100% GPU usage on my 970 if I turned VSync off. I didn't play BF4 but I don't believe for a second you could get through the campaign, much less MP, without hitting some really ugly stuttering.

Yes, I've read both of those reviews, as I said in my original post, I know it's not going to be the same. But, just because it's higher doesn't mean it's an issue.

Remember, we're comparing something that is $70 with something that is $240.