G3258 Overclock Guidence

Go to solution Solved by runit3,

I think my Vccin is set to default voltage, I'm not sure my board has support for changing that, or if it does i'm not sure what Asrock calls it. I have a section called 'FIVR Configuration' and inside that there are:

1) Set all offsets back to +0v. They are unnecessary at the initial point of OCing, really only used for fine tuning borderline stability at a high/max OC. Also makes calculating out vdrop/vgain for 3+ values a giant PIA, can cause higher than intended voltage settings. VCCIN or CPU Input voltage needs to be set to ~1.8-1.9v, I looked through the manual for your board and could not find anything referencing those values. If you're stuck at stock VCCIN/input it should be ~1.75v, look for the setting that way as it will have a higher voltage than any other setting. Different board manufacturers call it by different names <_<

2) Reduce cache multiplier. OC the cache after you OC core, or not at all, there is no real world test where this will gain you much of anything. It can be higher than stock, just don't throw a 1GHz OC at it out of the gate, can cause lots of instability in some chips.

3) Set Vcore to 1.3v and core multiplier to start at 40, run 10-15min of XTU or AIDA64, if it passes increase multiplier by 1, repeat. Keep repeating until you hit a BSOD with code 124 or 101, 9C is also fairly common. Either increase the voltage by .01-.025 and repeat, or drop multiplier.

4) If you really want to keep pushing the OC here you can set a Vcore offset, reduce the Vcore value by as much as your offset value to start. For example if you're at 1.32v set the offset for +.05v and reduce vcore to 1.27v. Test stability. If it passes, great, if it doesn't you'll have to keep alternating between more offset and less vcore until you hit a sweet spot. If you're pumping over .5v offset just stop and revert to a stable OC.

5) NOW would be the time to OC the cache. Follow the same methodology as the core OC but pay special attention to temps. If you're slamming core and cache with 1.3v temps are going to be much higher than previously, although with these G3258's I've never noticed much of a difference.

Hey everyone, 

So being a student on a budget I picked up an Intel G3258 and a Asrock B85 BTC (Link) motherboard and a cheap Cooler master Seidon 120m AIO, in the hopes to get some cheap performance. I realize that I am overclocking on a non-clocking intended board and i won't get crazy OC's or anything but I would like to get a 4.4GHz OC . 

However i've been unable to get consistence stable results, partly because Asrock seems uses different terminology and partly because this is my first overclock with a haswell CPU. Current my bios 'OC Tweaker' section is set up like this: 

CPU Ratio: 44

CPU Cache ratio: 41

PCIe PLL Selection: SB PLL

Long Duration Power Limit: 1000

Short Duration Power Limit: 1000

Primary Plane Current Limit: 1000

Vcore Override Voltage: 1.300

CPU Cache: 1.200

System Agent offset: 0.195

CPU Analog IO voltage offset: 0.195

CPU Digital IO voltage offset: 0.195

Everything else is on its default setting. 

I got these settings from following these guides: 

http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/intel_pentium_g3258_oc_guide/3.htm

http://www.overclock.net/t/1411077/haswell-overclocking-guide-with-statistics

(And of course Linus' own youtube video) 

The problem is that when I stress test using mprime or linpack (i'm on Manjaro Linux) and my CPU's max temp is 71 degrees.  It passes and doesn't crash about 85% of the time. The other 15% it results in a black screen and I have to do a hard reset. However after passing mprime for an hour it crashed at idle when I was opening my browser, and other time it crashed when loading Minecraft up. So is there something I can change in my set up to get stability? I would really like to avoid going over 1.3 Vcore because of the budget nature of the board I'm using. 

Id try 4.2ghz and see how that works

Its when dragons have so much sex that the cpu cant handle it

My Asrock board has an auto oc feature, but it's z97, so i'm not sure if other chipsets have that as well. You could use it for auto overclocking, and then just tweaking the settings a bit to meet your needs. If you don't have that feature, i would try a lower clock like 4.1 or 4.2, test for stability and temp, and then slowly increase until unstable.

Id try 4.2ghz and see how that works

4.2Ghz is rock soild at 1.2V but I'd really like to get a little more out of it if possible. 

My Asrock board has an auto oc feature, but it's z97, so i'm not sure if other chipsets have that as well. You could use it for auto overclocking, and then just tweaking the settings a bit to meet your needs. If you don't have that feature, i would try a lower clock like 4.1 or 4.2, test for stability and temp, and then slowly increase until unstable.

My Asrock board has a non-z overclock feature, and you can select 3.8Ghz, 4.0Ghz, 4.2Ghz,  and 4.4Ghz. To start I set it on 4.0Ghz and it was stable and then I moved up to 4.2Ghz and it was also stable (but it set the Vcore at 1.350!) and then I tried 4.4Ghz where is where I am now (but by default it set the Vcore at 1.400!). 

Maybe not a good idea oc with that chipset, try to get 4 ghz you wont get it much higer probably... and its bad for your mobo too

Maybe not a good idea oc with that chipset, try to get 4 ghz you wont get it much higer probably... and its bad for your mobo too

It should be fine, but some capability is lost.

Like the name suggests the B85M BTC is a mobo designed for bitcoin mining rigs and is definitely not for overclocking. That being said not all the G3258 are the amazing overclcockers they are made out to be.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

It should be fine, but some capability is lost.

Right, I don't expect like a 4.7Ghz or 4.8Ghz OC

Like the name suggests the B85M BTC is a mobo designed for bitcoin mining rigs and is definitely not for overclocking. That being said not all the G3258 are the amazing overclcockers they are made out to be.

I am well aware that my motherboard isn't intended for overclocking (as I stated in my first post). 

I have read that about G3258, that not all are created equal. I've heard some of the 'worse' ones need 1.3V to get to 4.2Ghz. I guess i'll just hope i'm one of the lucky ones  ;)

I am well aware that my motherboard isn't intended for overclocking (as I stated in my first post). 

Whops srry didnt see that... I guess you just got a ''bad'' chip.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

@steveowashere

What is your Vccin set to? If you are pushing 1.3Vcore, set it to 1.9V. It might stabilize your OC. Also make sure your ram is not loading any XMP profiles, and is set to the bios defaults. Make sure spread spectrum is off, etc. Get back to me with your results, i will try to walk you through this if possible.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

@steveowashere

What is your Vccin set to? If you are pushing 1.3Vcore, set it to 1.9V. It might stabilize your OC. Also make sure your ram is not loading any XMP profiles, and is set to the bios defaults. Make sure spread spectrum is off, etc. Get back to me with your results, i will try to walk you through this if possible.

I think my Vccin is set to default voltage, I'm not sure my board has support for changing that, or if it does i'm not sure what Asrock calls it. I have a section called 'FIVR Configuration' and inside that there are: 

FIVR Switch Frequency Signature : Auto

FIVR Switch Frequency Offset : Auto

CPU Vcore voltage  mode: Override

Vcore Override  voltage: 1.300V

Vcore voltage additional offset: Auto

CPU cache voltage mode: Override

CPU cache override voltage: 1.200V

CPU cache voltage offset: auto

System Agent Voltage Offset: 0.195V

CPU Analog IO Voltage Offset: 0.195V

CPU Digital IO Voltage Offset: 0.0195V

CPU integrated VR faults: Disabled

CPU integrated Efficiency mode: Disabled

and Under that is: 

Voltage Configuration: 

DRAM Voltage: 1.50V

PCH 1.1V Voltage : 1.1V

I did have a XMP profile loaded so i'll put it back to stock.  

Spread Spectrum is off. 

1) Set all offsets back to +0v. They are unnecessary at the initial point of OCing, really only used for fine tuning borderline stability at a high/max OC. Also makes calculating out vdrop/vgain for 3+ values a giant PIA, can cause higher than intended voltage settings. VCCIN or CPU Input voltage needs to be set to ~1.8-1.9v, I looked through the manual for your board and could not find anything referencing those values. If you're stuck at stock VCCIN/input it should be ~1.75v, look for the setting that way as it will have a higher voltage than any other setting. Different board manufacturers call it by different names <_<

2) Reduce cache multiplier. OC the cache after you OC core, or not at all, there is no real world test where this will gain you much of anything. It can be higher than stock, just don't throw a 1GHz OC at it out of the gate, can cause lots of instability in some chips.

3) Set Vcore to 1.3v and core multiplier to start at 40, run 10-15min of XTU or AIDA64, if it passes increase multiplier by 1, repeat. Keep repeating until you hit a BSOD with code 124 or 101, 9C is also fairly common. Either increase the voltage by .01-.025 and repeat, or drop multiplier.

4) If you really want to keep pushing the OC here you can set a Vcore offset, reduce the Vcore value by as much as your offset value to start. For example if you're at 1.32v set the offset for +.05v and reduce vcore to 1.27v. Test stability. If it passes, great, if it doesn't you'll have to keep alternating between more offset and less vcore until you hit a sweet spot. If you're pumping over .5v offset just stop and revert to a stable OC.

5) NOW would be the time to OC the cache. Follow the same methodology as the core OC but pay special attention to temps. If you're slamming core and cache with 1.3v temps are going to be much higher than previously, although with these G3258's I've never noticed much of a difference.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Thanks for the tips ! 

I'll give it a go following your procedure and report back. 

Thanks for the tips ! 

I'll give it a go following your procedure and report back. 

Good luck! I'm honestly surprised at the B85's ability thus far. The B85's that can OC usually fall somewhere in the 4-4.3GHz range with a few exceptions able to match Z97's. The fact you can even give it 1.3v core is nice :D Although I wouldn't give it any more than that, not due to the G3258, but to the power delivery on the board.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Good luck! I'm honestly surprised at the B85's ability thus far. The B85's that can OC usually fall somewhere in the 4-4.3GHz range with a few exceptions able to match Z97's. The fact you can even give it 1.3v core is nice :D Although I wouldn't give it any more than that, not due to the G3258, but to the power delivery on the board.

I did quiet a bit of research on which budget board to go for, this board is the only B85 (and H81 for that matter) I could find in Denmark with 4+1 phase power and a heat sink on the mosfets (for what little good that does). I wasn't planning on going over 1.3V for heat and fan noise reasons  :D 

I'm in the process of stress testing (up to 4.3Ghz) but I'm just curious about the offset and how that works.  I want to make sure I understand, If I get 4.5Ghz at 1.3V I would set the Vcore to 1.275 and the offset to +.25 (or whatever that sweet spot ends up being) And the benefit of this being that normally the CPU will run at 1.275V but when it needs it, it will take that extra .25V? 

I've concluded that I can get 4.4Ghz @1.3Vcore without touching the CPU cache ratio or voltage. (since it doesn't offer any performance gains I'll just leave it at stock) Pretty please with that.  :)

I've set the Vcore offset to +0.050V and the Vcore to 1.250V and It ran stable on AIDA64 for 45min. However, my voltage when looking at it in CPU-Z or CPUID HWmonitor says 1.300V even when idle and no load? Is that normal? 

I think you are good to go as I was able to use the same settings successfully with my low end Asrock H97M Pro4 mobo and G3258. Mine also did a 4.3GHz OC with the included tuning software though.

I am addicted to building gaming PCs but I don't have a great reason to stop...yet...

I think you are good to go as I was able to use the same settings successfully with my low end Asrock H97M Pro4 mobo and G3258. Mine also did a 4.3GHz OC with the included tuning software though.

Thanks glad to hear! I'm also using a lowend Asrock B85M BTC.

Are you using "Vcore Voltage Addtional Offset"? If so how much?