Recommendations for a new router?

CapitanADD

I'm in the market for a new router as I just changed ISP's and had to ditch my old all in one router/modem. I live in a small one bedroom apartment so the range is not such a big deal but I will have 2 - 3 mobile devices attached at any given time and 2 - 3 computers attached at any given time so I guess multiple bands would be best? What would everyone here recommend as an option or where to start looking for a new router? I guess my price point would be anything under $200.00. Thanks in advance for the help!

Edit: one of the pc's will most likely be hard wired dunno if that matters :P

I'm in the market for a new router as I just changed ISP's and had to ditch my old all in one router/modem. I live in a small one bedroom apartment so the range is not such a big deal but I will have 2 - 3 mobile devices attached at any given time and 2 - 3 computers attached at any given time so I guess multiple bands would be best? What would everyone here recommend as an option or where to start looking for a new router? I guess my price point would be anything under $200.00. Thanks in advance for the help!

Netgear nighthawk 180$ at best buy atm

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-nighthawk-dual-band-wireless-ac-router-with-4-port-ethernet-switch/1754208.p?id=1219062800202&skuId=1754208

plus it pretty

i had an apple airport extreme, it was pretty good, cost $100.

i now use it as a switch.

i now have an untangle router (usually pfsense...waiting for 2.2-release to drop for baytrail support), much better.

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

Edit: one of the pc's will most likely be hard wired dunno if that matters :P

Nah you don't NEED dual bands. The signal drop-off range on the 5Ghz band tends to be very small. 2-3 mobile devices and 2-3 computers in a small room is hardly pushing the limits of any router. I have the Asus RT-N66U and it's the best router I've ever owned, it's within your budget and it has a 5Ghz band if you really want it.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

how is the router your ISP gave you?

they didn't give me a router i wanted to just purchase one instead of renting it.

The best advice would be to split out functions into different pieces of gear. So keep your old modem/router and work out what function you want it to perform. Because of improvements in wireless tech generally the best thing to do is have it *just* do the modem/router functions and split off the wireless stuff to an access point. For the price range you're looking at you could get a pretty decent AP and still have change for an 8 port Gigabit switch.

Because when you start trying to put all functions onto one device and really hammer it across it's multiple functions (some even have network shares!) it really struggles. Think about an average scenario where one person is watching Netflix, one is playing a video from a network share on a tablet and maybe you have spotify running through a network speaker in the kitchen for ambience. With an all in one device ALL of that is going through one device. If you separated those functions out even just to modem/router, switch, AP, NAS then the load would be shared across all the devices.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

The best advice would be to split out functions into different pieces of gear. So keep your old modem/router and work out what function you want it to perform. Because of improvements in wireless tech generally the best thing to do is have it *just* do the modem/router functions and split off the wireless stuff to an access point. For the price range you're looking at you could get a pretty decent AP and still have change for an 8 port Gigabit switch.

Because when you start trying to put all functions onto one device and really hammer it across it's multiple functions (some even have network shares!) it really struggles. Think about an average scenario where one person is watching Netflix, one is playing a video from a network share on a tablet and maybe you have spotify running through a network speaker in the kitchen for ambience. With an all in one device ALL of that is going through one device. If you separated those functions out even just to modem/router, switch, AP, NAS then the load would be shared across all the devices.

Yeah that's what I ended up doing. I bought a Motorola SB6183 for my modem and was looking for a dedicated router so i could start gaming when the cable guy comes tomorrow!