Dad got an old PC for free... riddled with red flags

Go to solution Solved by lani100,

Note: If this is in the wrong section, move accordingly.

My Dad is VERY cheap, and I will say right now that this isn't the first PC he got for free, nor will it be the last. This time around, he got it from a neighbor finishing up a garage sale. It's an HP Pavilion p6228p, that has no HDD or RAM. After having it just sitting in his back room gathering dust for probably 6 months, I convinced him to let me take it home and examine it. Let's just say that I found quite a few hazards. (specs here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c01916922)

After giving it a more or less good cleaning, I wanted to change the TIM on the CPU (which was an Athlon II 620). First problem, I hadn't worked with AMD systems prior to this point, and I had lots of trouble releasing the stock heatsink from the retention bracket, which bent the pins of the CPU in the process (because F*** me, right?). Second problem, as if that wasn't enough of a hassle, I found out as I was trying to remove the heatsink that the CPU was stuck to it due to the OEM TIIM having dried, so that didn't help either. Third problem and final nail in the coffin, I managed to wiggle the CPU loose from the heatsink, with no visible damage, so I went on to my next task, attempt to reallign the bent pins. Long story short, after about 5 minutes using a sewing needle and a plastic card, I failed catastrophically and managed to break one of the pins off (cue the hate right about now). So on top of needing RAM and an HDD, now it needs a new CPU (motherboard socket seems to be intact with no debris).

Red Flag #1: Everything in the case is inverted, no joke. I will post a picture later (or if asked). The motherboard is upside down, bays are on the left side as opposed to the right and to top it all off, the one and only fan on the case is on the BOTTOM of the back side instead of the top!  Herp derp, who need logic?! Why is the exhaust fan on the bottom??!! Heat RISES! <http://social.bioware.com//uploads_user/1697000/1696184/252891.jpg> OEM cases have bad airflow by themselves at it is, but this has got to be someone's idea of a joke!! I hope whoever designed that case got fired...

Red Flag #2: The Power supply looked like it was designed for components OLDER than the ones it was hooked up to. It's a "300W"... thing, that said something along the lines of "3.3V = 21A 5V= 29A 12V = 19A" give or take 2 amps. It has NO PCI Express power plugs of any kind, 2 SATA power plugs, and Molex plugs up the wazoo. Even if I didn't sentence the aforementioned CPU to its untimely demise, I still wouldn't trust this PSU (aka firebox) to deliver adequate power with low/no voltage ripple.

Red (maybe amber) flag #3: The neighbors which my got this computer from had 2 cigarette smokers in the family, this is relevant because the inside of the case reeked of it, maybe with a touch of dog. Also, despite my best efforts to clean the stock heatsink, there still a little bit of what looks like tar caked onto it. Even if I replace the heatsink altogether, it will be a long time before that smell goes away.

This is the parts list I have put together for it: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YjB7dC

After looking at it, even if we take the R9 270 out of the equation, it's looking more and more like a money pit imo, and would probably be better of building a budget build with an Athlon 860k (or waiting until Zen).

Enjoy!

if you upgrade the cpu it isn't even that bad, hp always uses inverted cases and they always use psu's with 2 sata power cables and that's it.

Don't invest to much  money in this look for secondhand parts.

My Dad is VERY cheap, and I will say right now that this isn't the first PC he got for free, nor will it be the last. This time around, he got it from a neighbor finishing up a garage sale. It's an HP Pavilion p6228p, that has no HDD or RAM. After having it just sitting in his back room gathering dust for probably 6 months, I convinced him to let me take it home and examine it. Let's just say that I found quite a few hazards. (specs here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c01916922)

After giving it a more or less good cleaning, I wanted to change the TIM on the CPU (which was an Athlon II 620). First problem, I hadn't worked with AMD systems prior to this point, and I had lots of trouble releasing the stock heatsink from the retention bracket, which bent the pins of the CPU in the process (because F*** me, right?). Second problem, as if that wasn't enough of a hassle, I found out as I was trying to remove the heatsink that the CPU was stuck to it due to the OEM TIIM having dried, so that didn't help either. Third problem and final nail in the coffin, I managed to wiggle the CPU loose from the heatsink, with no visible damage, so I went on to my next task, attempt to reallign the bent pins. Long story short, after about 5 minutes using a sewing needle and a plastic card, I failed catastrophically and managed to break one of the pins off (cue the hate right about now). So on top of needing RAM and an HDD, now it needs a new CPU (motherboard socket seems to be intact with no debris).

Red Flag #1: Everything in the case is inverted, no joke. I will post a picture later (or if asked). The motherboard is upside down, bays are on the left side as opposed to the right and to top it all off, the one and only fan on the case is on the BOTTOM of the back side instead of the top!  Herp derp, who need logic?! Why is the exhaust fan on the bottom??!! Heat RISES! <http://social.bioware.com//uploads_user/1697000/1696184/252891.jpg> OEM cases have bad airflow by themselves at it is, but this has got to be someone's idea of a joke!! I hope whoever designed that case got fired...

Red Flag #2: The Power supply looked like it was designed for components OLDER than the ones it was hooked up to. It's a "300W"... thing, that said something along the lines of "3.3V = 21A 5V= 29A 12V = 19A" give or take 2 amps. It has NO PCI Express power plugs of any kind, 2 SATA power plugs, and Molex plugs up the wazoo. Even if I didn't sentence the aforementioned CPU to its untimely demise, I still wouldn't trust this PSU (aka firebox) to deliver adequate power with low/no voltage ripple.

Red (maybe amber) flag #3: The neighbors which my got this computer from had 2 cigarette smokers in the family, this is relevant because the inside of the case reeked of it, maybe with a touch of dog. Also, despite my best efforts to clean the stock heatsink, there still a little bit of what looks like tar caked onto it. Even if I replace the heatsink altogether, it will be a long time before that smell goes away.

This is the parts list I have put together for it: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YjB7dC
After looking at it, even if we take the R9 270 out of the equation, it's looking more and more like a money pit imo, and would probably be better of building a budget build with an Athlon 860k (or waiting until Zen).

Enjoy!

Mayonnaise is an instrument!  

Current Build - Ryzen 7 3800x (eco mode enabled), MSI B550M MAG Mortar, G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2x16) 3200 14-14-14-34, EVGA 2060 KO Ultra, EVGA G2 550W, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Rx

Enjoy!

if you upgrade the cpu it isn't even that bad, hp always uses inverted cases and they always use psu's with 2 sata power cables and that's it.

Should be fine, just don't invest to much money into it

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

office-space-computer-smash.jpg?243a19

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

solution throw that pile in the garbage and tell your dad to stop being cheap

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

And if you plan to tell ur dad to stop being cheap this way.. think again.. http://www.news.com.au/technology/boy-kills-dad-with-sledgehammer-after-banned-from-playing-computer-games/story-e6frfro0-1225853471820

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

That would be the equivelant of telling a tobacco addict to stop smoking, you would get a look and a snarky remark and they would continue regardless. (If you have a better analogy, I'm open to suggestions)

pic snip

That's something where you use the shotgun method to fix it.

Considering that his fastest computer is a Dell Laptop with a 1st get Core i5 Mobile (w/ Geforce 210m graphics), and his fastest desktop is a Pentium 4 (Northwood?) w/ a Geforce 6200, it's not complete garbage, if anything, it's a slight upgrade.

Should be fine, just don't invest to much money into it

Very well. Also, I'll mark this thread as solved since a fight has already broken out in this thread.

Mayonnaise is an instrument!  

Current Build - Ryzen 7 3800x (eco mode enabled), MSI B550M MAG Mortar, G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2x16) 3200 14-14-14-34, EVGA 2060 KO Ultra, EVGA G2 550W, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Rx