[Survey] If you could design your own PC case, what would it be like?

esplin2966

Hello everyone, it's Ray again. My group is planning to design a PC case, and we need your help to guide our design!

This is the last round of surveys before we go into sleepless design mode:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1JFZ9AUupmZQzaXvGMyjgEJgt-NzEIYeLmlZhNDS0M-c/viewform?usp=send_form

The survey is very short, so please fill it out! For those of you that missed it, here is the link to yesterday's survey:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1K1XcfruCTMAJWuPATf7UtwQrX4FBoxdrYekw_Ly23WE/viewform?usp=send_form

Thanks for all the great comments in yesterday's survey. We hope that we can bring you something really cool!

Ehhhm, this is a different survey and this is for a specific team of designers and builders, this is not a repost

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Did the first one, and cannot answer the second as I have no building experience in that form factor. Look forward to knowing more about the project! 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

It would be a new Mac Pro.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

Its mah post and this aint repost

Anyways I've submitted mine

Please make an epic case

Things to note:

I want it to be silent like the r5

Yet have the watsrcooling power like the h440

The extra "roof" (Idk how to call it..)

For air and silence should be bigger

As the fans will choke if on pull config

All holes must be dust filtered

I'll spend 150-250 on it

LED changers included

All sizes I hope

Bitfenix Pandora feature on it

I'll pay 300 -350 for that

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

―  C.S. Lewis  :)

Dear Ray, I have an idea for a case that people will pay hundreds for.

Basically its a refrigerator, would be airtight during operation, with the rear I/O isolated to prevent corrosion and shorting from condensation.

Spanktastic cooling, drop dead silence.

Do eet! :D

Sounds like a cute joke but it can work out very very well

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

Did the first one, and cannot answer the second as I have no building experience in that form factor. Look forward to knowing more about the project! 

Thanks for your contribution! I will definitely keep you posted.

Its mah post and this aint repost

Anyways I've submitted mine

Please make an epic case

Things to note:

I want it to be silent like the r5

Yet have the watsrcooling power like the h440

The extra "roof" (Idk how to call it..)

For air and silence should be bigger

As the fans will choke if on pull config

All holes must be dust filtered

I'll spend 150-250 on it

LED changers included

All sizes I hope

Bitfenix Pandora feature on it

I'll pay 300 -350 for that

Thanks for your feedback man!  :D

I think we can get all the features you mentioned. I'm a bit indecisive if I want to build a mid-tower or a Mini ITX case though.

Dear Ray, I have an idea for a case that people will pay hundreds for.

Basically its a refrigerator, would be airtight during operation, with the rear I/O isolated to prevent corrosion and shorting from condensation.

Spanktastic cooling, drop dead silence.

Do eet!  :D

I saw that and was like  :huh:

I answered your survey, but here's the story behind my words:

If I were to build my own case...the first thing I need to know is what is going to happen in six months with regards to SSDs. I know they are moving to PCIe, but will they use the msata interface, m.2, a normal PCIe slot? What? This matters because it determines if I go with a mini ITX or mATX/ATX motherboard.

As for the case itself, I am not smart enough to dream up the perfect layout, but what I want are these things:

1. Cable anchors so I can do good cable management with zip ties.
  2. EASILY removable dust filters on every hole except CPU exhaust. Don't assume which spots will be push or pull, just give me a filter I can remove if I need to push air out.
  3. Easily means similar to the Corsair style magnetic filters. My fans should NOT snap into any part of the filter, the filter should be it's own thing and should slide free or be magnetically attached at best. The filters should be on the outside of the case as well, The worst I should have to do is (similar to the 750D) remove a simple panel to get at a filter. If you have filters on the bottom, the handle for them should be obvious and they should have a guide or track so I can install and remove them without tilting or tipping the case.
  4. Holes for both 120 and 140mm radiators. Also, include both 15 and 20mm fan spacing options. Personally I plan to use at least one, possibly 2 2x140mm radiators in a future build. Don't include a 360mm fan option because then I'll just end up blocking out the extra bit of space with cardboard and tape to create a more-perfect air seal. Don't make it hard on me.
  5. If the case is designed similar to a 450D (cables run behind the motherboard and come up through holes), rubber grommets on all holes for cable routing.
  6. At least one, preferably 2 3.5" hard drive mounts NOT in the primary air flow path. Bonus points if you are clever and use one of the case panels as a giant heatsink for the drives, or create a clever baffle to divert a small amount of air into whatever section the drives live in.
  7. At least one internal 5.25" bay.
  8. The ability to use both 3.5" and the 5.25" bays while mounting two 280mm radiators that are at least 30mm thick. Push/pull fans need not be supported, just a single set of fans is plenty.
  9. The ability to have lots of open holes on the back of the case so I can run at least 4x140mm fans as intakes and not build up massive internal pressure.

These are quality of life / nice to have features which, if it were my own custom case, I would do, but can understand their omission in a more widely marketed case:

1. Hard drive trays with integrated backplane. Hot swap support isn't needed, I just don't want to have to fiddle with cables once I get the motherboard in and hooked up to said backplane.
  2. Hard drive trays rotated so that I can insert/remove them by only removing whichever panel exposes the motherboard. In the event of a case like the Corsiar 250D, that would be the top panel, in a 450D case, that would be the side panel.
  3. Modularized front-panel connectivity. Reason: I'd prefer to buy this case once, and in 6 years, when USB type 17 is out, and it uses a totally different internal and external connector, I just have to pay $10 or $20 to you to get the appropriate front panel IO plate and the rest of my case will be up-to-date for the new connectivity.
  4. An integrated fan controller with at least 6 fan slots.
  5. A spot, somewhere, for a pump and res to go. A little bit of empty space is a good thing!

At the rate SSDs are going, I don't see myself using more than one 3.5" spinning disk hard drive (for backups). Currently I have 5 hard drives total (when I built my PC, a raid card + drives was faster and cheaper than an SSD). But SSD technology is to the point that I could, within the next year, afford to buy a 1TB SSD and go on with my life. 

I think something like the ft05 is a great case, just with a few changes-

Full glass side panel

One piece wrap around aluminum

Aluminum instead of plastic top

PSU shroud

More cable management

Rubber grommets.

I would pay up to 250$

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Full glass side panel

PSU shroud

More cable management

Rubber grommets.

I would pay up to 250$

^This is good, especially the motherboard rotation and dual 180mm fan mounts in the base, leads to excellent performance in cooling. I'd like to add that making slightly taller, wider and longer, and with the PSU+HDD cage at the front and raised into the top section using a passthrough cable, with the mobo pushed further to the back of the case, will allow for either larger PSUs or more HDDs, depending on which way you go for it. It's one of the few design flaws with the RV/FT05 that I can see. An LED underglow effect would be smashing, especially if you could turn it off or change the LEDs/colour used to suit the build better. I would certainly pay at least £100 for this case, although £150 would be closer to the mark I reckon.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

DIY Case with parts disassembled and people can build to their needs and desires

I answered your survey, but here's the story behind my words:

If I were to build my own case...the first thing I need to know is what is going to happen in six months with regards to SSDs. I know they are moving to PCIe, but will they use the msata interface, m.2, a normal PCIe slot? What? This matters because it determines if I go with a mini ITX or mATX/ATX motherboard.

As for the case itself, I am not smart enough to dream up the perfect layout, but what I want are these things:

1. Cable anchors so I can do good cable management with zip ties.
  2. EASILY removable dust filters on every hole except CPU exhaust. Don't assume which spots will be push or pull, just give me a filter I can remove if I need to push air out.
  3. Easily means similar to the Corsair style magnetic filters. My fans should NOT snap into any part of the filter, the filter should be it's own thing and should slide free or be magnetically attached at best. The filters should be on the outside of the case as well, The worst I should have to do is (similar to the 750D) remove a simple panel to get at a filter. If you have filters on the bottom, the handle for them should be obvious and they should have a guide or track so I can install and remove them without tilting or tipping the case.
  4. Holes for both 120 and 140mm radiators. Also, include both 15 and 20mm fan spacing options. Personally I plan to use at least one, possibly 2 2x140mm radiators in a future build. Don't include a 360mm fan option because then I'll just end up blocking out the extra bit of space with cardboard and tape to create a more-perfect air seal. Don't make it hard on me.
  5. If the case is designed similar to a 450D (cables run behind the motherboard and come up through holes), rubber grommets on all holes for cable routing.
  6. At least one, preferably 2 3.5" hard drive mounts NOT in the primary air flow path. Bonus points if you are clever and use one of the case panels as a giant heatsink for the drives, or create a clever baffle to divert a small amount of air into whatever section the drives live in.
  7. At least one internal 5.25" bay.
  8. The ability to use both 3.5" and the 5.25" bays while mounting two 280mm radiators that are at least 30mm thick. Push/pull fans need not be supported, just a single set of fans is plenty.
  9. The ability to have lots of open holes on the back of the case so I can run at least 4x140mm fans as intakes and not build up massive internal pressure.

These are quality of life / nice to have features which, if it were my own custom case, I would do, but can understand their omission in a more widely marketed case:

1. Hard drive trays with integrated backplane. Hot swap support isn't needed, I just don't want to have to fiddle with cables once I get the motherboard in and hooked up to said backplane.
  2. Hard drive trays rotated so that I can insert/remove them by only removing whichever panel exposes the motherboard. In the event of a case like the Corsiar 250D, that would be the top panel, in a 450D case, that would be the side panel.
  3. Modularized front-panel connectivity. Reason: I'd prefer to buy this case once, and in 6 years, when USB type 17 is out, and it uses a totally different internal and external connector, I just have to pay $10 or $20 to you to get the appropriate front panel IO plate and the rest of my case will be up-to-date for the new connectivity.
  4. An integrated fan controller with at least 6 fan slots.
  5. A spot, somewhere, for a pump and res to go. A little bit of empty space is a good thing!

At the rate SSDs are going, I don't see myself using more than one 3.5" spinning disk hard drive (for backups). Currently I have 5 hard drives total (when I built my PC, a raid card + drives was faster and cheaper than an SSD). But SSD technology is to the point that I could, within the next year, afford to buy a 1TB SSD and go on with my life. 

Hey man, thanks a lot for your feedback. Cable management anchors and easily removable dust filters will definitely be part of the design. I'm a bit unsure about 5.25" drive bays because I've been getting so much contrasting opinions on it. Would you say not having it is a deal breaker for you?

Full glass side panel

PSU shroud

More cable management

Rubber grommets.

I would pay up to 250$

Just to clarify, you're talking about the "feet" of the pc case when you say rubber grommets, right? Or are you talking about like between panels?

^This is good, especially the motherboard rotation and dual 180mm fan mounts in the base, leads to excellent performance in cooling. I'd like to add that making slightly taller, wider and longer, and with the PSU+HDD cage at the front and raised into the top section using a passthrough cable, with the mobo pushed further to the back of the case, will allow for either larger PSUs or more HDDs, depending on which way you go for it. It's one of the few design flaws with the RV/FT05 that I can see. An LED underglow effect would be smashing, especially if you could turn it off or change the LEDs/colour used to suit the build better. I would certainly pay at least £100 for this case, although £150 would be closer to the mark I reckon.

Cool, thanks for the feedback!

DIY Case with parts disassembled and people can build to their needs and desires

To what degree do you want to case to be able to be disassembled? Down to steel/aluminum strips? Or down to a skeleton frame?

Just to clarify, you're talking about the "feet" of the pc case when you say rubber grommets, right? Or are you talking about like between panels?

The things in the cable management holes

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I think I'm adding lights to my ft05 to have a underglow

I think I'm adding lights to my ft05 to have a underglow

I'm going to grab a white LED strip to have above and below the window, as otherwise I won't be able to see anything in it as it's nowhere near any sunlight. I like the idea of some lights running along the bottom to give it a lowrider effect though. If only I could set it up so they have that apple breathing effect, then it's be perfect.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Hey man, thanks a lot for your feedback. Cable management anchors and easily removable dust filters will definitely be part of the design. I'm a bit unsure about 5.25" drive bays because I've been getting so much contrasting opinions on it. Would you say not having it is a deal breaker for you?

I enjoy watching blu-rays. Having to plug in an external drive is just plain annoying, especially given that I already own an internal 5.25" drive. Could I live without it? Yes. Do I want to? Not really. The same PC I use for gaming also serves as the blu-ray player for my TV, so...there's that. Call me stuck in my ways, but I don't much care for Netflix.

To what degree do you want to case to be able to be disassembled? Down to steel/aluminum strips? Or down to a skeleton frame?

I'm not him, but my 2¢ on this is "To whatever degree ensures nothing gets in my way during the build." Few things are more frustrating than a tray, holder, panel, or crossbar that can't be moved when you *really* need to get a cable from A->B and it's a tight space.

Skeleton frame will be good as some parts can be lost but the skeleton frame is the main thing so other parts can be replaceable