G3258 or i5 4460

Go to solution Solved by MageTank,

I would love it if someone who currently has the G3258 would tell me how the experience is like. :D

For MMO gaming, and most AAA titles from early 2014 and older run absolutely fine. The latest AAA games however struggle to run on this chip, so do not expect the absolute best performance from a $70 chip. It can be OC'd to 4.5ghz on stock cooler depending on ambient temps and luck of the draw plays a factor in this too. I have not encountered an MMO or MOBA game that is unplayable, and every single game in my steam/origin library is 100% playable on ultra. I run my G3258 with a GTX 770, but i would suggest not going over a GTX 760. Infact, pairing it with a GTX 750 TI, or a similar card from the Red team would be a great idea.

If you find yourself wanting to play the latest and greatest AAA games, the i3 or i5 would be the next logical solution. If playing the latest AAA games is not your forte, then the G3258 will easily max out most modern games (early 2014 and older). Determine what you are willing to spend, then get the best hardware within that budget. Try to spend evenly. Do not buy a powerful GPU with a terrible CPU and expect good results, and vice versa. I wish you had the same offers we have here in the US, sounds like the Philippines needs more hardware retailers for competitive prices. 

I am really torn between the two, not sure if I should just save the my money and go with the G3258 or go with the i5.

I am not really a power user. I'd mostly be playing MMOs like LoL, Dota2, World of Tanks, Warthunder and maybe some WoW.

Anyone here have first hand experience with the G3258? I just want to play while having the music player and chrome on.

Thanks in advanced!

G3258 if you plan on overclocking, other than that, the i5.

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

Definitively i5 4460.

^^THIS^^

\/Specs\/

Xeon E3 1230 V3-Maximus vi hero-2x4gb G skill RipjawsX 2133-EVGA supernova-1 tb seagate-Samsung 840 EVO 1TB-NZXT H440-EVGA 6Gb 780 Razer-Blackwidow Ultimate-Corsair M65

MSI Ghost Pro GS60 

Definitively i5 4460.

look at what he's going to do with it. The pentium will be plenty. 

I'd honestly go AMD if I were you, you seem to be on a budget so I recommend either of these:

http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Athlon-Processor-AD760KWOHLBOX-Richland/dp/B00D7BYMB2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421644798&sr=8-1

or

http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Athlon-Edition-3700Mhz-AD860KXBJABOX/dp/B00MU00IOQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1421644798&sr=8-3

My logic behind this is these have enough power for what you need and aren't overkill, also it's nice to have 4 cores over the 2 cores of the Pentium.

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

I'd honestly go AMD if I were you, you seem to be on a budget so I recommend either of these:

http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Athlon-Processor-AD760KWOHLBOX-Richland/dp/B00D7BYMB2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421644798&sr=8-1

or

http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Athlon-Edition-3700Mhz-AD860KXBJABOX/dp/B00MU00IOQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1421644798&sr=8-3

My logic behind this is these have enough power for what you need and aren't overkill, also it's nice to have 4 cores over the 2 cores of the Pentium.

@Brood DO NOT go AMD, definitely get the 4460

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

or

No 760k in our country. I would honestly go for it if it was available here. :((

No 760k in our country. I would honestly go for it if it was available here. :((

What about the 860k?

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

What about the 860k?

That too. there is not a single athlon here, which is weird.

except the athlon 5350

The i5 is the stronger option, but the G3258 can handle exactly what you are asking to do. If you live near a Microcenter and can go to a store to get the following bundle, it would save you plenty of money to combine a budget GPU with it too. 

http://www.microcenter.com/site/brands/G3258Bundle.aspx

This combo would come with a Z97 motherboard, and is $90 cheaper than the i5 4460 listed on newegg. With the $90 you could save, you could add http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127784&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID= for a GTX 750 ti, which is $99 after rebate.

If these options are not available in your country, then pick whichever option offers the most price:performance.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

I would love it if someone who currently has the G3258 would tell me how the experience is like. :D

Get the I5, more cores justifies the slightly lower single-core performance. The way games are moving, more cores are needed, with some games not even supporting dual-core.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

That too. there is not a single athlon here, which is weird.

except the athlon 5350

Then I'd go with the i5, or maybe a FX processor, the 6300 and 8350 are both great processors, I love my 8350, it's lovely.

look at what he's going to do with it. The pentium will be plenty. 

there are many benchmarks and reviews that show performance inconsistency and frame dropping with the g3258; the overall results look nice, but that's not the only thing there is to it.

The i5 is the stronger option, but the G3258 can handle exactly what you are asking to do. If you live near a Microcenter and can go to a store to get the following bundle, it would save you plenty of money to combine a budget GPU with it too. 

http://www.microcenter.com/site/brands/G3258Bundle.aspx

This combo would come with a Z97 motherboard, and is $90 cheaper than the i5 4460 listed on newegg. With the $90 you could save, you could add http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127784&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID= for a GTX 750 ti, which is $99 after rebate.

If these options are not available in your country, then pick whichever option offers the most price:performance.

Sadly, no. We don't have those kind of cheap bundles here. :(

A G3258 with a B85 Fatal1ty here would cost about 175$~

Around 200$ if Z97.

for your needs, pair the G3258 w/ a gpu like the 270x or something like that (assuming you dont already have one)

:P

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Agreed. Philippines is just lacking in lots of pc parts it sucks balls.

Though the i5 would overall be the best choice for you, even with just those games. What's your full budget though? Php 40K? Lower?

Laptop - Asus TUF FX504GM

i7 8750H | 24GB DDR4 | GTX 1060 6GB | 128GB NVMe SSD | 1TB HDD

Peripherals

Logitech G102 Prodigy | Nubwo N12

I don't know about the other games, but for League of Legends, it favors one high performance core (more ipc and clock speed). I can get 100fps gains from a mere 20% overclock.

Edit: I should add that, for the long term, a dual core would not suffice for your multitasking needs and future games.

there are many benchmarks and reviews that show performance inconsistency and frame dropping with the g3258; the overall results look nice, but that's not the only thing there is to it.

Is that the same about not-so demanding games like LoL?

I will play AAA titles but as long as It's playable, I'm fine with it.

For MMO gaming, and most AAA titles from early 2014 and older run absolutely fine. The latest AAA games however struggle to run on this chip, so do not expect the absolute best performance from a $70 chip. It can be OC'd to 4.5ghz on stock cooler depending on ambient temps and luck of the draw plays a factor in this too. I have not encountered an MMO or MOBA game that is unplayable, and every single game in my steam/origin library is 100% playable on ultra. I run my G3258 with a GTX 770, but i would suggest not going over a GTX 760. Infact, pairing it with a GTX 750 TI, or a similar card from the Red team would be a great idea.

If you find yourself wanting to play the latest and greatest AAA games, the i3 or i5 would be the next logical solution. If playing the latest AAA games is not your forte, then the G3258 will easily max out most modern games (early 2014 and older). Determine what you are willing to spend, then get the best hardware within that budget. Try to spend evenly. Do not buy a powerful GPU with a terrible CPU and expect good results, and vice versa. I wish you had the same offers we have here in the US, sounds like the Philippines needs more hardware retailers for competitive prices. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Seriously he's going to play LoL with it. The Pentium is prefectly capable of doing what he wants to  do. 

i5.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Agreed. Philippines is just lacking in lots of pc parts it sucks balls.

Though the i5 would overall be the best choice for you, even with just those games. What's your full budget though? Php 40K? Lower?

Hello there fellow Feelipino.

My budget is around 30k~

I already have a GPU, I won it in Kitguru's giveaway. (650 Ti)

Anyways, I already planned what to buy, just torn between processor choices.

NZXT S340

Crucial MX100 256Gb

Seasonic M12II 520

HyperX Fury 8GB

Mobo and procie still picking~

budget?

My MacBook from 2010 can play LoL at low settings at around ~40-45 fps

CPU: Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

GPU: Nvidia 320m

If this laptop can play LoL, the G3258, especicially if overclocked, will play quite nicely. Just get a decent GPU as well. Heck, even the iGPU may be adequate, though I'm not too sure for the G3258.

The Nvidia 320m, I think, is comparable to Intel HD Graphics 3000

CPU: 5820K GPU: Gigabyte G1 970 RAM: 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Mobo: EVGA m-ATX Cooler: Corsair H100i Case: Xigmatek Aquila PSU: NZXT 700W Monitors: 2 x Wasabi Mango (1440p)

Do you play Go/Baduk/Weiqi? I am AGA 4D.

"We do not shop by brand, we shop by what delivers us the best performance, features and quality for the money we're spending" - Linus (Techquickie)