Multimonitor users, How do you set up your workspace?

How many monitors do you use? How do you set up your workspace?

I do some multimedia work and always wondered how everyone else set up their workspaces.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

I used to have 3 monitors, all sub 1080p, and I sold them to buy my single 1080p panel, I had them in the classic "H" layout

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

I've got 3 1080p monitors, and I usually set them up with videos, music, or google searches on the far left, main content in the middle (coding, forums, etc), and mightytext and chat stuff on the right. All three are in landscape mode, as none of my monitors support portrait. 

Works pretty well, and I can jump into surround for gaming, or just have stuff going on in the background.

2 monitors is pretty much enough for hefty multitasking. Have a game recording on one monitor (usually the main one) and have a browser or other programs open and visible on the other one.

Laptop - Asus TUF FX504GM

i7 8750H | 24GB DDR4 | GTX 1060 6GB | 128GB NVMe SSD | 1TB HDD

Peripherals

Logitech G102 Prodigy | Nubwo N12

2 monitors. Browser on one (secondary), games and tasks on the other (main)

I always leave Task Manager up on the second. It's just a habit, I don't know why.

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

2 monitors. Browser on one (secondary), games and tasks on the other (main)

I always leave Task Manager up on the second. It's just a habit, I don't know why.

When I had multiple monitors I used to almost almost always have some software to keep track of my PC, so MSI Afterburner, GPU-Z, CPU-Z, Speedfan, and Task Manager

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

When I had multiple monitors I used to almost almost always have some software to keep track of my PC, so MSI Afterburner, GPU-Z, CPU-Z, Speedfan, and Task Manager

I always tend to turn off the second monitor instead of idling software on it.  In my mind, I figure it will last longer. =)

Two monitors currently, one in the center of my view and then one to the left.

I use the center one for gaming, watching videos, and reading. The left one is used for videos/streams when I'm gaming/reading(like right now) and is also used when I have to do testing with Afterburner and also Teamspeak is up as well.

I would love to get three monitors so I can do some tri-monitor gaming, but I might wait till 4k screens come down in price.

I always tend to turn off the second monitor instead of idling software on it.  In my mind, I figure it will last longer. =)

Very possible, I didn't care if a monitor died as I got them all for free from work for staying late one night, and they were all sub 1080p panels

I have 2 monitors, using the right one mainly and the left side for multitasking.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

1366x768 on left 15'' form my laptop

1366x768 in middle 19'' from bestbuy. i think its a compaq or something. 

1600x900 on right in portriat. dell. st2010 i believe.

on the right one, i setup steam in the smallest posisble scale it can go, fits perfectly, i have all my rainmeter stuff and my chat programs there.

in the middle is a free for all. games, random tasks, whatever.

left is my browser and media control. 

when im doing actual work i setup word files on the right screen, my yaoi in the middle and on the left would be the program i am working in.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

I print a picture of a second monitor and tape it to my wall... And slowly cry myself to sleep

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

I print a picture of a second monitor and tape it to my wall... And slowly cry myself to sleep

i did the same thing untill i became awesome.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

you actually have a pretty sweet pc too. :o

-Jim Hensen

you actually have a pretty sweet pc too. :o

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

i mean..... g3258 and a gtx 280.... thats pretty nice! yeah is not the best ever at everything, probably handles things pretty well .

-Jim Hensen

i mean..... g3258 and a gtx 280.... thats pretty nice! yeah is not the best ever at everything, probably handles things pretty well .

I'm not sticking with the g3258 doe. Going to get a 4690k later on

I'm not sticking with the g3258 doe. Going to get a 4690k later on

are you high? xD unless you plan on immediatly/soon upgrading gpu too? xD

or are you a non gamer?

-Jim Hensen

are you high? xD unless you plan on immediatly/soon upgrading gpu too? xD

or are you a non gamer?

I play at 1080p, so meh... 

I play at 1080p, so meh... 

my brain saw 280 and thaught gtx 280.

not R9.

oops. 

well its more badass but less memory inspiring now. xD

it did give me a great idea about a cheap lan rig i could throw together tho. :D )

-Jim Hensen

I run three 24" 1080p monitors in landscape at the moment.  I dual boot because "games", right?  In windows I don't really pay attention to the workspace.  I just run games on the center monitor, or use Nvidia Surround if my gpu can handle it. 

with ubuntu, however, it's a completely different experience.  I use compiz to bind some usefully window/screen/workspace switching commands.  I have it setup so that If I am coding, web browsing or just in the terminal, I won't have to touch the mouse at all, even with 3 displays and 4 workspaces.  It's all about experimentation and personal preference.  When I do have to use the mouse, I have the "mouse focus" option enabled so I don't have to left click at all.  It's the smallest thing, but it increases my efficiency.

Though I have three monitors, I really need/want a fourth above the center monitor.

I have two monitors, one in front of me and one to the left. Before I started having trouble with the HDMI ports on both of them the one on the left would usually have netflix/hulu and/or reference material/APIs and the one in front of me had whatever I was using at the time to program and a simulator or browser to display whatever I was working on. Now the one on my left is connected to a mini mac for iOS work and the one in front of me is connected to my PC for everything else.

Both are 24" 1080p of the Asus variety.

I run three 24" 1080p monitors in landscape at the moment.  I dual boot because "games", right?  In windows I don't really pay attention to the workspace.  I just run games on the center monitor, or use Nvidia Surround if my gpu can handle it. 

with ubuntu, however, it's a completely different experience.  I use compiz to bind some usefully window/screen/workspace switching commands.  I have it setup so that If I am coding, web browsing or just in the terminal, I won't have to touch the mouse at all, even with 3 displays and 4 workspaces.  It's all about experimentation and personal preference.  When I do have to use the mouse, I have the "mouse focus" option enabled so I don't have to left click at all.  It's the smallest thing, but it increases my efficiency.

Though I have three monitors, I really need/want a fourth above the center monitor.

why not two in the middle, landscape, and two on either side, portrait?

its the best of both worlds. :o

-Jim Hensen