Esports argument. BBC

Marblybaas

good article :) I like how its presented

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Nice to see an unbiased take on the topic

i5 4690K | Asus Ranger VII | 8GB HyperX Fury | Asus GTX 780 | NZXT H440 | Samsung 850 Evo | Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM 750W | Corsair H105 

E3-1246 v3 | Asus Gryphon Z97 | 8GB HyperX Fury | MSI GTX 970 | Enthoo Evolv mATX | Samsung 840 Evo | WD Red | EVGA SuperNova GS 650W | NZXT Kracken x41 

I think the one connection people fail to make between mostly mental and mostly physical competitions is that the brain is a physical human body part that needs to be trained to perform well.

An impressive game of chess or CS GO or Dota is a result of impressively performing and coordinated, trained human bodies, just like in 'normal' sports.

I think the one connection people fail to make between mostly mental and mostly physical competitions is that the brain is a physical human body part that needs to be trained to perform well.

An impressive game of chess or CS GO or Dota is a result of impressively performing and coordinated, trained human bodies, just like in 'normal' sports.

When people say physical they mean it includes the muscle tissues. Brain has no muscle.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Physical means moving which requires muscles which I don't think brains have.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

When people say physical they mean it includes the muscle tissues. Brain has no muscle.

Well, I mean it in the sense that it is a tangible, biological machine.

What do sports fans admire their favourite athletes for? Is it mostly muscle tissue?

Movement coordination, reflexes, situational awareness, tactics, keeping up personal and team morale throughout matches and seasons all comes from nerves.

Physical means real, it has nothing to do with moving. Houses are physical but they don't move unless something has gone wrong.

The BBC have remain totally unbiased on any topic, they're not a private company, they're owned by the public and as such are bound by very tight restrictions.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

There is a difference between cognitive challenges and physical challenges.  Chess, problem solving, logic problems and anything that requires training and higher levels of cognitive talent are a legitimate contest and are often as demanding as physical activity, however it is not like sport in the traditional sense of the term.  Physical sport can require significantly less cognitive talent as the training is centered around physical work that has been practiced and refined to not just gross motor skill and strength but also to have speed and fine motor control.   There are plenty of examples where there is a crossover between the mental and physical skills required, technically darts is a sport.

There is no arguing that the training and skills required to compete in either one is less than the other, however the term sport is usually reserved for activities that require physical exertion and has it's roots in physical dominance for both communal authority and entertainment.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Esports for me can be compared perfectly to car racing. You need to be healthy, but not a body builder, and how fit you are is often not the deciding factor in a competition. The action itself is merely operating a few controls of a machine, at the right time, with a strategy and with skill.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Esports for me can be compared perfectly to car racing. You need to be healthy, but not a body builder, and how fit you are is often not the deciding factor in a competition. The action itself is merely operating a few controls of a machine, at the right time, with a strategy and with skill.

UM, car racing is actually a very physically demanding sport.  up there with triathletes. 

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/news/a18270/you-think-driving-an-indy-car-is-easy/

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Physical means real, it has nothing to do with moving. Houses are physical but they don't move unless something has gone wrong.

The BBC have remain totally unbiased on any topic, they're not a private company, they're owned by the public and as such are bound by very tight restrictions.

What people mean not the dictionary definition, watch the latest Vsauce to see what I mean. 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

What people mean not the dictionary definition, watch the latest Vsauce to see what I mean.

Well as it happens physical also means; something of or relating to the body. Its still not about movement but as long as the thing doing it has a body it can be called a physical exercise.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Well as it happens physical also means; something of or relating to the body. Its still not about movement but as long as the thing doing it has a body it can be called a physical exercise.

It's what people mean why don't you get that, like FUCK can mean a lot of things not one do you get it now if not move on.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

It's what people mean why don't you get that, like FUCK can mean a lot of things not one do you get it now if not move on.

Wow why so angry?

A dictionary lists words and their meanings. A word cannot mean something unless its listed in a dictionary. You don't get to just add a meaning to a word because you think it sounds right.

Physical has multiple meanings, taken from the Oxford English Dictionary

Definition of physical in English:

ADJECTIVE

1 Relating to the body as opposed to the mind:

a range of physical and mental challenges

1.1 Involving bodily contact or activity:

a physical relationship

2 Relating to things perceived through the senses as opposed to the mind; tangible or concrete:

the physical world

3 Relating to physics or the operation of natural forces generally:

physical laws

NOUN

1 (also physical examination) A medical examination to determine a person’s bodily fitness:

at fifty-something, each year’s physical was a kind of lottery

2 (physicals) Stock Exchange Stocks held in actual commodities for immediate exchange, for example as opposed to futures:

the exchange of futures for physicals

The word has no other meanings and I really don't care what your latest anything says.

If you don't understand this fundamental fact of language then that's your problem.

Wow why so angry?

A dictionary lists words and their meanings. A word cannot mean something unless its listed in a dictionary. You don't get to just add a meaning to a word because you think it sounds right.

Physical has multiple meanings, taken from the Oxford English Dictionary

The word has no other meanings and I really don't care what your latest anything says.

If you don't understand this fundamental fact of language then that's your problem.

That isn't my point, people can say a word that means something that isn't the dictionary definition, you can we make the words and their meanings, like bae, when was it added to a dictionary ??? is bae even in oxford dictionary ????? we make words and their meanings, we can change the meanings of existing. 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

That isn't my point, people can say a word that means something that isn't the dictionary definition, you can we make the words and their meanings, like bae, when was it added to a dictionary ??? is bae even in oxford dictionary ????? we make words and their meanings, we can change the meanings of existing.

Yes I know but it doesn't happen because one person decides to use it, it has to pass a vote from people much cleverer than us as to whether the use has been accepted by a wide audience.

Its like the UK comedy show that used the term Flange of Baboons as a joke in the 1980s, the term is now widely accepted as the genuine collective noun.

I'm not saying we can't change things but its not recognised as official until the change has entered the dictionary, before that its slang.

Clicking a mouse pressing QWERTY in proper coordination requires muscle.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013).

Clicking a mouse pressing QWERTY in proper coordination requires muscle.

He was talking about the brain read the fucking post that I was responding too.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Yes I know but it doesn't happen because one person decides to use it, it has to pass a vote from people much cleverer than us as to whether the use has been accepted by a wide audience.

Its like the UK comedy show that used the term Flange of Baboons as a joke in the 1980s, the term is now widely accepted as the genuine collective noun.

I'm not saying we can't change things but its not recognised as official until the change has entered the dictionary, before that its slang.

Then what was your point ???

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

And you don't understand the human anatomy.Also Quit raging.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013).

And you don't understand the human anatomy.Also Quit raging.

Sorry it's hot in here.

@frostin1990 care explaining ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

that doesn't mean you can ignore the definition of the dictionary 

just let this forum be a place where we can discuss whitout insult each other please

on the subject I personally consider all activity as chess,dart,poker,esport everything of that matter should be considered as a sport. because the only fact to call it sport can push those activity at a higher level and make people that are actually good at doing so entertain us and be able to gain money while doing so. I don't understand how a pro golf player can win so much money and for it to be ok. But when a esport player win a prize pool of 1 Million everybody rage on how he just type on a keyboard.

that doesn't mean you can ignore the definition of the dictionary 

just let this forum be a place where we can discuss whitout insult each other please

on the subject I personally consider all activity as chess,dart,poker,esport everything of that matter should be considered as a sport. because the only fact to call it sport can push those activity at a higher level and make people that are actually good at doing so entertain us and be able to gain money while doing so. I don't understand how a pro golf player can win so much money and for it to be ok. But when a esport player win a prize pool of 1 Million everybody rage on how he just type on a keyboard.

1. I'm not ignoring it and never did.

2. I apologized.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

how he just type on a keyboard.

Yeah I agree with your post

You could boil all sports down to trivial activities and they all sound stupid, you get paid to kick a ball into a net? you throw a ball into a net? you hit a ball with a stick into a hole? you run in a straight line? you jump over stuff?

Being in an esports team requires tedious training, insane concentration, hours of practice, natural skill and talent, and utter dedication to keep playing the same game over and over until you are perfect enough to compete, and then somehow get a sponsor and get into a competition,  its just as hard as getting a high end career in "traditional sports"

Besides, as a viewer, whats the difference? I am watching people compete in a competition of skill, just like football or any other sport

they are called E-Sports because they are electronic, is an email not the same as a letter just electronic? an internet PM not the same as a text? etc 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii