What do you guys think of this Android security app?

LinusTech

I personally don't use any but this looks like a pretty good app - I'll have to check it out.

Yeah kinda dodgey sponsor. I mean sure good on them but android security apps and for you to stand next to it and talk about it on endless videos. Do YOU yourselves think you would want to stand by this for a long duration of time being the kind of product that it is?

How will this benefit the end user over ALL other brands? When I am watching you i would expect that you only push what you believe is the best product in this arena of software I do not think there is a current overall winner.

If you do think this is a fantastic product over all other mobile virus suites then go ahead and recommend it as that is what you think is the best and your viewers would really benefit from having installed.

i always think these apps, like many before them are just a flashing light that does nothing.  why don't you make a video where you test out phone av.

the other issues with aps is Q1 they are legit and good but in Q3 they sell out and the new owner loads it with adds and malware.

a other note if you don't use something like this, i don't then i would not support it.  think of all the hours of batter life this app is wasting away (if its real and doing something)

Noooo....these guys are known for installing spams and backdoors to your computer if you downloaded their antivirus. Quite notorious in Taiwan and China.

Its nice of them to offer a sponsorship. However their product feels not very trustworthy to me. Since their marketing techniques are to basically bait and hook you on to their subscription service like the 14 day trials of McAfee found on many brand new computers.

I can see the value of using an application like this but there are others that are more up front and direct with their intentions.

So my opinion is to turn them down, you are the one with the power of choice not them.

Main Rig

**CPU** | [Intel Core i7-4790K @ Stock]**CPU Cooler** | [Corsair H100i] **Motherboard** | [ASRock Z97 EXTREME6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard]

**Memory** | [G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory] **Storage** | [Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive]

**Storage** | [Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM] **Video Card** | [Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE]

**Case** | [Phanteks Enthoo Pro] **Power Supply** | [EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+]

Main Rig PC Partpicker  

| https://pcpartpicker.com/b/DnKZxr |

They are reaching out to us about working together, and I'm downloading it now to check it out, but I was wondering if anyone in the community has experience with it?

It's called 360 Security and here's the link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.qihoo.security&hl=en

So far seems like they are a super legit company (publicly traded and all that) but I feel like it's always good to get the community's feedback about a sponsor if I wasn't familiar with them already.

Linus

Seems legit. I don't usually use an antivirus or anything on my phone, but I'm trying it out now.

Main PC: 4690k, LMG Edition G1 Gaming GTX 980, 16GB Hyper X Fury, Asus Z97-A, EVGA G2 850W, Crucial MX100 128GB, WD Red 1TB 2.5", Dark Rock 3

Laptop: Asus UX305 Monitor: Asus PB278Q Keyboard: Filco Majestouch 2 TKL Mouse: Corsair M65

"background verizon apps" 

"I didn't have any malware on my phone"

M8, you have malware. When init initializes user space processes, it can, and will, give sufficient permissions to processes to intercommunicate with other processes without you necessarily giving it permissions yourself.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

They are reaching out to us about working together, and I'm downloading it now to check it out, but I was wondering if anyone in the community has experience with it?

It's called 360 Security and here's the link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.qihoo.security&hl=en

So far seems like they are a super legit company (publicly traded and all that) but I feel like it's always good to get the community's feedback about a sponsor if I wasn't familiar with them already.

Linus

I take issue with android "anti-virus/anti-malware" apps. Because of the way android is built, every piece of functionality they offer is 100% redundant, and needlessly slow down your device, and at worst are actually malicious apps that play on the fears of windows users who are always afraid of viruses. I wouldn't offer them any air time if it were me making the decision. 

TL;DR These apps are placebo and the functionality is baked into android already

Your smartphone is leaking your information  

I found this video on Youtube from TedTalks about why you might want to consider protection for your mobile device.

See this link

| Bram Bonné | TEDxGhent

Mcafee, which is owned by Intel makes a FREE mobile security program called "Mobile Security" go figgrr....

It works on all android and Iphone's devices, see these links below from the Mcafee website for the free download

Iphone and Ipad devices (click here)

Android devices (click here)

Would be far more interested in a sponsorship with Kaspersky/Avast/Bitdefender.

360 Security is just generic bloat more than anything. It's not necessarily a high quality/useful application.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

I probably wouldn't use it

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Well after using for a day, It seems my phone is running faster, the ram management seems to help, and as it only seems to use like 10 MB of ram it self its not hurting considering I get the same functionality as power toggles with less ram usage, but this could be a placebo  

Now onto the big one, battery life has SHOT UP, I mean I normally get 4 hours - 5 hours of screen on time, right now I'm currently at 52% and that's with 3 Hours and 20 mins screen on time, seems like i might hit 7 hours, 

So, so far its been a good, going to test it for another week to see if my battery life stays around here, if it does its not being uninstalled

Honestly, i haven't had a personal experience with it, but looking at the ratings especially that 1 star rating is subtly big imo, it could be saying something about the company..i would not say a top of the line app from that, but it might/could be a usual popular app that simply works with good handles, maybe if they are expanding & improving/improvising their company/strategy, then it might be a good partnership for you guys..

Details separate people.

Don't do it.

If you do it will be the last time a ever take one of your sponsor spots seriously.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Linus

I used it for a bit and it worked okay. However, it didn't have automated scanning(I'm not talking about on-access.). That's what turned me off from using it. That being said, I'm using their security program on my main PC and it works well for the most part.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I don't believe strongly in Andorid AV's but the other functionality seems pretty good.

i'm a potato

This is a solution for an inexistent problem. Anti-Viruses are an unnecessary burden on Android phones, and the only good use for them is their "cache-cleaning" but what it basically does, is that it removes cache or any unused data in the App directory plus some under the hood stuff...if you weigh the "nowhere to be found" benefits against the privacy concerns... well, i think you should decline the offer.

If you truly feel the need to inform people about something they need then do a review, sponsorship means a commitment of trust to us : the viewers. I was pretty mad at the Gigabyte notebook integration (no review, just straight up compliments) for the lack of criticism, don't ever do an integration of any sponsor unless they prove themselves worthy of our attention.

Stop bloating nonsense, and reason to contribute in a constructive manner.

while it may be a reasonable app etc i just don't feel this is the kind of sponsorship that fits linustechtips it is one amongst many of similar apps that do the same thing. I like the linus sponsors that are actually things you don't see like gorilla glass phone protectors and mens wet wipes! i understand these novel and uncommon adds are less likely to be found but it's what makes you guys different! bringing often unknown companies with a good idea into the light. And yes i have got it on my phone to try. The cleanup is useful anti virus i am not so sure about because i am not going to go searching for viruses and i have never had one on android so far.

while it may be a reasonable app etc i just don't feel this is the kind of sponsorship that fits linustechtips it is one amongst many of similar apps that do the same thing. I like the linus sponsors that are actually things you don't see like gorilla glass phone protectors and mens wet wipes! i understand these novel and uncommon adds are less likely to be found but it's what makes you guys different! bringing often unknown companies with a good idea into the light.

What if an unknown company produces something that a lot of companies do, but they do it extremely well? Do you think they should get exposure, perhaps to increase competition?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

So far I see a lot of negativity from people who aren't trying it, and the only folks who are actually using it seem pretty pleased so far. Still evaluating though. I haven't given them a final answer at this point and still waiting to hear back on why it needs so many permissions.

Linus

As part of my plan with T-mobile in the US, I get an app called "lookout security" for free.

That said, at first glance, the reviews for the app are pretty standard for an app that does what it says and isn't spam/malware that got past Google's radar. If the UI works well and does more than look nice, i'd say it would be a nice app merely for the interface, because (lets be honest) there aren't many unique mobile security features.

Edit: my current security app (lookout) scanned it and declared it safe.

I was pleasantly surprised by the cleanup option--I  take back my comment about unique features. The app has tons of little flourishes that make the UI feel snappy, although it does border on gaudy for someone used to material design. The little bubble bounce animation the buttons produce feels like it is straight out of a crapware app from 2007.

The antivirus option is fantastic. I was really taken aback by how much information it gives you about various vulnerabilities (see screenshot). It found a couple things that lookout security missed. I tapped "fix" and it went away--making me think of the one-click fix style of Microsoft Security Essentials (when it was still good).

Perhaps one day someone like av-comparatives will start looking into mobile security. Until then, the app is polished, if a bit too in-your-face, is informative, and provides some things I haven't seen in similar apps. Color me surprised.

No, just no. Android does not need an antivirus or a ram booster, this will only strengthen the stereotype that android is less secure.

It appears, that they use clickbaits and are from china:

http://i.imgur.com/cHB0dB8.png

Also this:

-snip-

Don't let the looks deceive you, people.

No kidding.

post-107659-0-78869500-1421469050_thumb.

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

I don't often post here but I feel the need to on this occasion. Android security apps (coming from a rooted background) have very little they can actually do. Unless your phone is rooted most of the system stuff that desktop antivirus and the likes generally manage will be locked out with really only basic SD card access to some installed apps. However this isn't always the case there are workarounds but i feel most of them are generally gimmiky and a quick way to convince average Joe they are protected.

@lutzee is absolutely right, free RAM is wasted RAM.  People need to get that Windows mentality out of their head, Android is completely different when it comes to memory management.

While people may feel that there's a boost in speed, it's usually only the placebo effect.  Android is designed to keep everything into the RAM and if the running apps are properly written it will in fact run better with near-full RAM.
An app in the background does not use any resources unless it has special permissions (for instance : a mail app gets permission to poll the servers at whatever interval you set it up to). 

Killing an app will only clear it from memory, but at the specified time it'll need to boot again, which consumes CPU cycles and hence drains the battery.

Of course there are badly written apps that will hog resources and hence drain the battery.  For those a taskkiller will make sense. 

Still, it's better then to look for another app that does the same thing without draining the battery.  Weeding out the bad apps will improve battery life more than a taskkiller will.

------

As for the antivirus part, that's a matter of personal choices.  If you're sideloading shady .apk files or install apps that have "may install other apps" or similar written in the permissions, you are basically asking for trouble. 

Even then, due to Android's habit of running each app in its own little sandbox, you have to try really hard to get a virus. 

100% detection rate is nice, but when Digitaltrends reviewed 31 antivirus apps for their top 5 article, 18 of them scored 100%.  So that in itself doesn't set this one apart. 

------

Permissions : Permissions are key to determining how trustworthy an app is.  An antivirus / anti malware / internet security app that needs access to my contacts and text messages sounds shady to say the least, nevermind one that has permission to reroute calls.  I'm seeing a lot of red flags in the permissions.

------

Conclusion : The UI could be a strong point indeed for people who like convenience or aren't that familiar with the menus.  Apart from that, IMO it doesn't have much going for it.

Personally I don't like what I'm reading about it.  Free apps without ads and their makers are even spending money on sponsorships and advertising?  That's huge red flag, especially in combination with all the permissions it asks for.  It makes me wonder if the main source of income involves gathering and selling our info.  Until I read an explanation that completely removes my doubts, I won't even try this app.

@LinusTech : in all fairness, if you are so unsure about a company/product that you need to ask us for advice on whether or not to take it on as a sponsor, perhaps you should be staying clear of it.

A lot of people here (myself included) will blindly rely on your opinion about tech-related stuff and know you stand behind your sponsors 100%.    If you of all people don't know if you can trust this one, we sure won't.  And it'll affect our trust in you as well.