PSU blew up

Ady.533

he guys,

I had a 450-500 watt psu that came with my thermaltalke versa 2 and someone was watching something on the computer. I was looking around the back of it and saw a switch on it which had some numbers on it(not the on/off switch). It sparked. PC doesn't turn on. No visible damage to anything. So, is the corsair VS series 450 watt ok for me if that the wattage I need? Is it reliabe?

thanks

P.S. I posted this 10 mins after the incident so I'm not in my mind, so forgive any grammar mistakes.

Hey happened to my i3 4xxx machine . Good job its dead. The "switch" is for voltage regulations, it must be set a certain way for the psu to not short circuit EVERYTHING

Welcome to the club

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

I'd say ur parts are dead but in case would try with a new pau

that switch is to go from uk power to is I think.

Buy my yoga 2 pro!  http://linustechtips.com/main/classifieds/item/2711-lenovo-yoga-2-pro-i7-4510u-8gb-ram-4k-btc-accepted/

[spoiler=Trumps Wall

]AMD FX 8320 OC@ 4.4 GHZ GPUamd sapphire 7950RAM: 12GB CORSAIR XMS3 Psu: Corsair cx 500m CASE: Corsair 800d MOBO: Asrock 970 extreme 3 r2 Storage: 256GB mx100 SSD, 1TB WD Blue,1tb Seagate Barracuda in Raid 0, 750GB Seagate Baracude. Os Windows 7
CPU: AMD A-10 5800k RAM: 4GB DDR3 Storage:Random drives Mobo:msi SomthingCase: good question   

now why did you touch the voltage changer?

switching from 230 to 115 volts is a straight death sentence to your PC

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

if it has a voltage converter switch and it came with your case you probably shouldn't have been using it anyway.

Probably dead, thermaltake isn't a very reputable psu brand imo. 

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

why the fuck does that switch exist

what the fuck does it do

Probably dead, thermaltake isn't a very reputable psu brand imo. 

Nuuuh.

what the fuck does it do

some region uses 115 volts like US japan

Euroupe and UK uses 230 volts

this are common for old PSU

newer PSU now do auto switching

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

what the fuck does it do

It changes teh voltage so the PSU can be used everywhere..why did you mess with it if you didnt know what it was?

what the fuck does it do

It changes the input voltage. For example, North America uses 115V while the EU uses 230V.

Did you flick the switch while the computer was operating? If you did, all I can say is, well.. R.I.P. your computer, and if you get a new PSU and all your parts still work, then, congrats, Just don't mess with the switch... ever again.

Downloading programs from CNet is not a good idea, as they will commonly include unwanted, and sometimes dangerous bloatware... The more you know.

I have to ask, WHY?!?!?! what did that poor PC do to you?

In all seriousness, you killed it bro.

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

anything at all?

Own up to it and buy a new PSU. Hopefully thats the only thing that is damaged. There is potential for everything else to be damaged too.

anything at all?

You can try getting a new 500W psu, and see if anything works, if not, you have to buy a new computer. 

Downloading programs from CNet is not a good idea, as they will commonly include unwanted, and sometimes dangerous bloatware... The more you know.

Own up to it and buy a new PSU. Hopefully thats the only thing that is damaged. There is potential for everything else to be damaged too.

"Damaged" More like totally unusable. Broken. Kaboom. Lala. Pew. Bang. It ded.

the thing was not even a month old.

not even 2 weeks.

my mom is going to kill me

Just try and get a new powersupply, you could be lucky, and the only thing that is damaged is the PSU, or you could be unlucky, and everything be totally messed. You just need to get a Powersupply ASAP and try it out.