Samsung XP941 M.2 SSD Boot failure

Go to solution Solved by 9justinas9,

I found this link to download the 1.8 version of the msi bios update: http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/BIOS/Msi/MSI-Z97-GAMING-5-BIOS-18.shtml

Can i trust it ? 

try contacting msi. if you are lucky you will get bios from them via email. but remember not to buy msi MB next time you buy new board

Hello,

So i built my own PC about 7 months and decided to install an M.2 SSD for the system as I had a compatible motherboard.

I have a MSI Z97 Gaming 5 motherboard and i bought the Samsung XP941 256 Gb That i installed directly into the motherboard ( not through a PCIe adaptor )

Then I installed Windows 8.1 64 Bits and it worked just fine, i backuped some files and reinstalled most of my system.

But when i shut down my system and then turned on the computer again i get an error message: "Reboot and select a proper boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected boot device and press a key"

I can solve this problem by shutting down the power supply and then unplug it's alimentation cable and replug it in again and booting the system again.

So it works but it is reaaaaaally annoying as I need to do this "manipulation" EVERY TIME that i want to use my computer.

Is there any solution to this problem or is it a motherboard problem ?

Thanks for your ( future ) answers.

P.S: Sorry for the grammatical errors ( i'm french ).   

In the bios, is it set to first boot device?

Next time the error comes up, reboot it and check to see if the drive is detected in the bios.

Cartman - AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 3.1Ghz - 10GB Ram (Mwahahah) - 256GB Crucial MX100 Boot - 2TB WD Red - Gainward GTX 770 - Zalman Insanely Loud CNPS14X - Corsair 230T Orange

Stan - Intel Pentium G3320 - 8GB Ram - 128GB Intel 520 - Raid 1 6TB WD Reds - Bit Fenix Prodigy

Kenny - HP 14 Ultrabook (No name apperently) i3 4130 - 128GB Intel 520

Welcome to the Forum.

Why don't you go into the BIOS and set the SSD as the main boot drive?

Sig under construction.

Also @BonnyAG please make sure to follow your posts. You can do this by pressing the 'follow' button at the top-right of the page.

Sig under construction.

ok thanks,

And yes i have checked that my ssd is set to first boot device but it looks like when i start my computer my ssd is not found

I usually check the boot menu and it simply doesn't appear.

well, i have not that much experience so i don't know really how to update the bios and if this would change anything.

It's really weird that the ssd is not detected but by unpluging and repluging the power supply it works.  

Well i just checked the msi website under "bios" ( http://fr.msi.com/support/mb/Z97-GAMING-5.html#down-bios sry it's in french but the "update log" of the bios is in english) and it can probably be a bios problem as i didn't update it the new version seems to improve m.2 ssd compatibility so maybe updating the bios could solve the problem. 

Your best bet would be to follow the instructions on the MSI website for how to update the BIOS, I know most allow you to simply load the bios file onto a memory stick, then go into the bios and it'll read the update and update itself.

Cartman - AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 3.1Ghz - 10GB Ram (Mwahahah) - 256GB Crucial MX100 Boot - 2TB WD Red - Gainward GTX 770 - Zalman Insanely Loud CNPS14X - Corsair 230T Orange

Stan - Intel Pentium G3320 - 8GB Ram - 128GB Intel 520 - Raid 1 6TB WD Reds - Bit Fenix Prodigy

Kenny - HP 14 Ultrabook (No name apperently) i3 4130 - 128GB Intel 520

Yeah but the problem is it looks like the file is not found or does not exist on the msi website. In fact in the french version of the site there is supposed to be a 1.8 version of the bios but in the us version the newest update is the 1.7 version. 

Well i just checked the msi website under "bios" ( http://fr.msi.com/support/mb/Z97-GAMING-5.html#down-bios sry it's in french but the "update log" of the bios is in english) and it can probably be a bios problem as i didn't update it the new version seems to improve m.2 ssd compatibility so maybe updating the bios could solve the problem.

Yes, definitely update the bios in that case.

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Ok Thanks @WoodenMarker but here is the problem 77807520150114111217MSIUSA.png

and when a click in the 1.8 update it gives me a blank page where it is written "File not found"

well i own msi z97 g55 motherboard with same exact retarded ssd mount placement. first of all ssd get heat every time you do anything with your pc witch is super stupid. and thats why i hate msi for a reason. so i used crucial m.2 m550 witch died in 20 days i thought its faulty because it wasnt detected in bios whatever i do. i got replaced drive after few months so i had to use hdd my MB had latest bios version. and btw after that update next time i powered pc ssd wasnt detected. but i didnt realised that. when i got new drive and rolled back old bios even though ssd worked fine on latest. i migrated os and next time i boot pc ssd wasnt detected i was extremely frusturated but i tryed reinserting drive and it helped so i have to do it everytime and i rather not so im still on old and slow hdd. fuck those stupid msi boards.

;) @9justinas9 ( it was my first pc build, it looked like a good mb :) )

I have my m.2 ssd since the 25 of december and it works practically well but i'm gonna try contacting msi thanks for your help.

I hate to tell you but it looks to me that it's better to bypass the M2.0 slot completely. It's not ready for primetime from MSI. Either go with a Sata ssd drive or get an adapter for a PCI-e slot.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

I hate to tell you but it looks to me that it's better to bypass the M2.0 slot completely. It's not ready for primetime from MSI. Either go with a Sata ssd drive or get an adapter for a PCI-e slot.

I think it will be too difficult and the ssd i have is very expensive so i cannot just buy another one like this. I don't even know if there are good trustable PCIe to M.2 adaptors.

wait some m.2 drives still has sata interface like mine do and it wont work with pcie adapter

;) @9justinas9 ( it was my first pc build, it looked like a good mb :) )

I have my m.2 ssd since the 25 of december and it works practically well but i'm gonna try contacting msi thanks for your help.

mine solution is to buy m.2 to sata adapter  and avoid that toasty area above gpu as your ssd seems to be pcie based consider geting adapter and sticking it below gpu. remember to mark this topic solved if you found ansver help you

wait some m.2 drives still has sata interface like mine do and it wont work with pcie adapter

don't know about mine but even if it works with sata i cannot connect it in any other way no ?

mine solution is to buy m.2 to sata adapter  and avoid that toasty area above gpu as your ssd seems to be pcie based consider geting adapter and sticking it below gpu. remember to mark this topic solved if you found ansver help you

well my motherboard is not that hot and i think i have a good cooler for my cpu ( noctua U12S ) and gpu ( 2 fans ) so it should not be so hot no ? so i don't think there is a real problem with that.

well my motherboard is not that hot and i think i have a good cooler for my cpu ( noctua U12S ) and gpu ( 2 fans ) so it should not be so hot no ? so i don't think there is a real problem with that.

well mine was heating up to close 70ties and i looked it up its pcie drive so you would probably need pcie to m.2 adapter

try use furmark for half an hour and check your ssd temperature with speedfan program. if its less than 60 you will be ok with temps but i think only way to resolve it is try updating bios and if it wont help double check your drive interface and buy an adapter. i personally threatened by msi's m.2 adapter and im waiting for my adapter from ebay

• 2 weeks later...

well mine was heating up to close 70ties and i looked it up its pcie drive so you would probably need pcie to m.2 adapter

try use furmark for half an hour and check your ssd temperature with speedfan program. if its less than 60 you will be ok with temps but i think only way to resolve it is try updating bios and if it wont help double check your drive interface and buy an adapter. i personally threatened by msi's m.2 adapter and im waiting for my adapter from ebay

Well, Msi finally released the new version of the bios which adds support for "SAMSUNG" drives ( =P ), I have updated my bios and my ssd seems to work and to boot correctly, unfortunately my pc as crashed several times after that after 5 to 20 minutes of usage. I've made a lot of anti virus's scans and it seems to work again. Could it be the bios update ??