Laptop i3 i5

Go to solution Solved by harrynowl,

@harrynowl so would you suggest going with an i5 then? Im looking at getting some light gaming and studio recording out of it.

If you can afford an i5 model I don't see why not. I went for an i3 ULV model (a few years back) and looking back I'd have spent the extra £30 on the i5 as in a lot of situations it'll be running 400-500MHz higher than the i3.

Is there a big difference between the 4th Generation Intel Core i5-4210U Processor and the 4th Generation Intel Core i3-4030U Processor?

You get what you pay for.- Me

On the i3 you have hyperthreading, meaning fake cores and on the i5 you have real ones. You also probably have more cache on the i5.

This will mean that you will notice better performance on the i5 than on the i3.

EDIT: Actually, even in benchmarks, there isn't too much of a difference.

rO9qyWu.png

Sig under construction.

so the performance difference is basically nothing.

Actually, Both the i3 and the i5 have 2cores/4threads

Really? Wow.

Sig under construction.

Really? Wow.

He's talking about laptop CPUs, both i3s and i5s are dual-cores with hyperthreading

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

He's talking about laptop CPUs, both i3s and i5s are dual-cores with hyperthreading

I know it's about laptop CPUs but still wow'ed me - I thought it was legit quad core on the mobile i5 still.

Sig under construction.

so since the both have hyper-threading is there a significant amount of difference power wise? @APrettyCoolWalrus

Not a significant difference in power consumption, there is only a small difference in clockspeed between the i3s and i5s.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

On the i3 you have hyperthreading, meaning fake cores and on the i5 you have real ones. You also probably have more cache on the i5.

Hehe I always say it's amazing how many people on LTT know very little about Laptop CPUs ;) (no offence intended).

The difference between i5 and i3 mobiles is either cache or the fact i5 typically features turbo boost and higher clock speeds.

@arcticfox159 it depends on the task in question, they're both bottom end ULV (Ultra-low-voltage) CPUs that are designed for Ultrathins and not "powerful" Laptops.

i3 mobile CPUs do not have turbo boost, so usually i5 chips can be significantly faster if the laptop has sufficient cooling.

I know it's about laptop CPUs but still wow'ed me - I thought it was legit quad core on the mobile i5 still.

There isn't and never has been a quad-core mobile i5 before.

@harrynowl so would you suggest going with an i5 then? Im looking at getting some light gaming and studio recording out of it.

If you can afford an i5 model I don't see why not. I went for an i3 ULV model (a few years back) and looking back I'd have spent the extra £30 on the i5 as in a lot of situations it'll be running 400-500MHz higher than the i3.

If you mean to game on it go with the i5 or even better, a desktop

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

@IMPERIUS I have a prety sick desktop im just looking for a decnet laptop like one that i dont have to sink a lotta money into

@harrynowl yeah im looking at the lenovo G50-70 with an i5. Its only 35$ more than the i3.