Should I upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1?

Cy-Fy

Hey guys, after installing Windows 8.1 on my mom's PC I realised that I really really liked it!

In my opinion it looks really clean and honestly just the looks and the much improved Task Manager is worth the change on their own

BUT, remember that I am using a laptop, the one on my signature, and I just don't know if it is worth it to install Windows 8.1 on it.

Another thing is that I am planning to use the Upgrade option just so that all of my files and programs remain there. And that would also mean that I will not need to do any file transfers and backups which really take a long time especially when all you have is a 8gb pendrive.

So yeah guys what are your views on this?

Another thing I wanted to know is if my windows 7 key, the one on the sticker on the underside of my laptop, will still work and activate if I ever decide to revert back to Windows 7?

Dell XPS 15 9560 - Nikon Z5 - Galaxy S10+

If you like it, sure. If not, don't. Check driver compatibility before updating.

Edit: Also, you can't just do a simple upgrade. To do that, you'd have to go 7>8>8.1. Can't upgrade 7>8.1. As a side note, I can't find anywhere whatsoever to acquire an 8 iso or key. I can only find 8.1 keys/isos.

I used upgrade and it worked fine on my computer. W8.1 on laptops is great, boot times really feel amazing.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Here is how windows keys work

A key can only be in use at once. unless you have two computers with the EXACT same hardware, and preferably on the same network. then sometimes there are work arounds. (not always legal)

however. if you install windows 8.1 and the win 7 key is not in use. then you can use it again. Some times since it will be the same hardware it will just plain old work. If its different hardware you have to phone microsoft's automated service and reactivate the key.

But heres a thought, Dual boot? its easy.

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

If you like it, sure. If not, don't. Check driver compatibility before updating.

Edit: Also, you can't just do a simple upgrade. To do that, you'd have to go 7>8>8.1. Can't upgrade 7>8.1. As a side note, I can't find anywhere whatsoever to acquire an 8 iso or key. I can only find 8.1 keys/isos.

Alright thanks for reminding me about drivers, totally forgot about that!

I used upgrade and it worked fine on my computer. W8.1 on laptops is great, boot times really feel amazing.

Thanks for your opinion! I really appreciate it :P

Here is how windows keys work

A key can only be in use at once. unless you have two computers with the EXACT same hardware, and preferably on the same network. then sometimes there are work arounds. (not always legal)

however. if you install windows 8.1 and the win 7 key is not in use. then you can use it again. Some times since it will be the same hardware it will just plain old work. If its different hardware you have to phone microsoft's automated service and reactivate the key.

But heres a thought, Dual boot? its easy.

So, let me explain the situation.

Let's say I Upgraded from 7 to 8.1, meaning that 8.1 totally replaced 7 and 7 is no longer installed on my laptop. Then for some reason I decided to clean install windows 7 again on the SAME laptop that it was before. Whenever it asks for the key, will the key that is on the sticker on my laptop work again?

Let's say I Upgraded from 7 to 8.1, meaning that 8.1 is no longer installed on my laptop. Then for some reason I decided to clean install windows 7 again on the SAME laptop that it was before. Whenever it asks for the key, will the key that is on the sticker on my laptop work again?

Yes. Also, did you by chance see my edit on my post about 7>8>8.1?

Yes. Also, did you by chance see my edit on my post about 7>8>8.1?

Oh I just saw that now... but in the Microsoft Website it tells you to use Windows 8.1 Upgrade Assistant to do this sooo?

Oh I just saw that now... but in the Microsoft Website it tells you to use Windows 8.1 Upgrade Assistant to do this sooo?

It won't let you upgrade. I tried doing that with my Desktop and unfortunately it refused to do it like that. Just said I'd have to do a custom install and format. :\

Why not a wait a little longer and just upgrade to win10?

THIS IS MY SUPER TEENY TINY SIGNATURE!

Ain't it just the cutest little signature.

Some would argue it is the cutest little signature ever.

Alright thanks for reminding me about drivers, totally forgot about that!

Thanks for your opinion! I really appreciate it :P

So, let me explain the situation.

Let's say I Upgraded from 7 to 8.1, meaning that 8.1 totally replaced 7 and 7 is no longer installed on my laptop. Then for some reason I decided to clean install windows 7 again on the SAME laptop that it was before. Whenever it asks for the key, will the key that is on the sticker on my laptop work again?

yes

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

Why not a wait a little longer and just upgrade to win10?

That's a really good question actually... I'll have to think about this too :D

yes

Thanks!!!

Wait for Windows 10.

Make no sense to get Windows 8 now, and buy again Windows 10 soon after.