discrete phys X card?

potatopLays

No. NVIDIA made it so that any time an AMD card is detected, PhysX automatically gets put onto the CPU. That being said, you can try your luck with hacked drivers.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

No, Nvidia drivers prohibit it from working. Wouldn't be worth it as you'd loose a lot of performance.

I really wish Nvidia lent PhysX to AMD and let them use it too. It's such a cool but underused feature.

I really wish Nvidia lent PhysX to AMD and let them use it too. It's such a cool but underused feature.

It probably would've become more popular as a result too.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

can i buy like a cheap GT card as a discrete phys X card with my 280x?

If you have a decent CPU, then even if the drivers did allow it, you will not get a performance benefit with a dedicated cheap GT card for PhysX. If anything, it will decrease your performance. 

"Rawr XD"

It probably would've become more popular as a result too.

Exactly. Nothing is more cool than finishing a battle in BL2 and seeing liquid blod and chunks of your enemy all over the ground!

I would still install the newest physx driver.

If their point is to use a dedicated PhysX card with their 280X, there's no point in installing the latest PhysX driver as it will be put onto the CPU.

If their point is to use a dedicated PhysX card with their 280X, there's no point in installing the latest PhysX driver as it will be put onto the CPU.

i think metro last light installed phyx on my cpu and the result of that is unplayble frame rate at the lowest setting

Modified drivers and a bunch of tweaking works (i tried only a couple of weeks after nvidia banned it), but I found it creates more problems than it solves. 

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

If you have a decent CPU, then even if the drivers did allow it, you will not get a performance benefit with a dedicated cheap GT card for PhysX. If anything, it will decrease your performance. 

For AMD, not so much without a special driver, but with my GTX 970 and a 650 ti, I increased the maximum FPS of the 970 on its own, to the avereag FPS with the 650 ti handling PhysX, and the 650 was running off a PCIe v2.0 x2 slot (supposedly capable of x4, but that would mean sacrificing my wifi card)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

i think metro last light installed phyx on my cpu and the result of that is unplayble frame rate at the lowest setting

Then disable it.

[witty signature]

I rann into games where you8n eeded the physx driver to run. and I've also had to uninstall a new physx driver and install an old one for a game to run. not going to hurt anything with the driver installed.

Hybrid physx is still doable of you have a 600 series or older Nvidia card, but having done it recently myself, I can tell you that the newest games that use hardware physx won't work. 314 nvidia drivers are the last drivers that you can really get hybrid physx working on. It's not worth it anymore imo.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Hybrid physx is still doable of you have a 600 series or older Nvidia card, but having done it recently myself, I can tell you that the newest games that use hardware physx won't work. 314 nvidia drivers are the last drivers that you can really get hybrid physx working on. It's not worth it anymore imo.

Was it with Nvidia PhysX or another physics engine? Because I had no problems with Unreal Engine 3 based games.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Was it with Nvidia PhysX or another physics engine? Because I had no problems with Unreal Engine 3 based games.

I was just referring to Nvidia hardware physx. Most games that use nvidia physx are using software nvidia physx, which uses the cpu only (i.e. mass effect series), even if you are using an nvidia card.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I was just referring to Nvidia hardware physx. Most games that use nvidia physx are using software nvidia physx, which uses the cpu only (i.e. mass effect series), even if you are using an nvidia card.

You can force the GPU to render PhysX and that's how I normally see it being used. On the GPU.