What Should I Include in My SSD Boot Drive? (OS/Drivers/Programs?)

Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

I'm putting together a new PC this coming month or two so with that I want to take advantage of some newer storage options. I'll be running a 1 TB WD Black HDD for all of my program, file, and multimedia storage. I'm looking to run a 128GB Samsung 850 Pro as my boot drive (with Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 Professional, with the possibility of upgrading to Windows 10 upon its release) that way I have a quick and clean start up to get ready to go. Windows 8.1 stores at a capacity of 20GB, Windows 7 Pro. stores at 20GB as well. This is fine and dandy, but I don't want to leave a hundred plus gigs unused. 

So here is the big question: if I add my drivers as well as some of my more often used programs (every day things like browsers, game pad software, media sources like iTunes, etc.) as well as things like rendering software like Autodesk Inventor, Photoshop, and larger sized, more work oriented programs, will more being stored on the drive hurt my boot time? 

I would be saving all my files from Autodesk and Photoshop to a different destination in the hard drive, that way the SSD would only read and write when it had to open those programs or update them, so it wouldn't run the drive as much with file read/writes like copying music or saving models from my CAD programs.

Here's the link to the SSD in case anyone wants to comb it over, but Linus did give it a pretty solid review on his YouTube channel: 

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/ssd850pro/overview.html

I'd love to get some feedback from those with more SSD experience than myself ( I have none presently ) especially those who use their's as a boot drive for a workstation/personal-enthusiast setup! Thanks a million you guys!

(This is my first post so I hope I was clear on everything, thanks!)

Hello Daltonmec and welcome to Linus Tech Tips forum :)

SSDs require at least 12%-15% free space for optimal performance, so I would recommend leaving about 20GB-25GB free on that SSD.
As for the rest, I would recommend storing your OS plus some of the more demanding programs, drivers and some larger files that you might be working with.
Games generally rely on storage only for their loading times (both initial and in-game), so it shouldn't be a problem to store them on the WD Black drive. FPS and graphics stay unaffected.
I would put Photoshop and Autodesk on the SSD and would keep the files that you work on on the SSD and, after completion, move them to the HDD. 

The general rule of thumb when it comes to SSDs is that the bigger and more empty they are, the better they work. :)

Captain_WD.

I'm putting together a new PC this coming month or two so with that I want to take advantage of some newer storage options. I'll be running a 1 TB WD Black HDD for all of my program, file, and multimedia storage. I'm looking to run a 128GB Samsung 850 Pro as my boot drive (with Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 Professional, with the possibility of upgrading to Windows 10 upon its release) that way I have a quick and clean start up to get ready to go. Windows 8.1 stores at a capacity of 20GB, Windows 7 Pro. stores at 20GB as well. This is fine and dandy, but I don't want to leave a hundred plus gigs unused. 

So here is the big question: if I add my drivers as well as some of my more often used programs (every day things like browsers, game pad software, media sources like iTunes, etc.) as well as things like rendering software like Autodesk Inventor, Photoshop, and larger sized, more work oriented programs, will more being stored on the drive hurt my boot time? 

I would be saving all my files from Autodesk and Photoshop to a different destination in the hard drive, that way the SSD would only read and write when it had to open those programs or update them, so it wouldn't run the drive as much with file read/writes like copying music or saving models from my CAD programs.

Here's the link to the SSD in case anyone wants to comb it over, but Linus did give it a pretty solid review on his YouTube channel: 

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/ssd850pro/overview.html

I'd love to get some feedback from those with more SSD experience than myself ( I have none presently ) especially those who use their's as a boot drive for a workstation/personal-enthusiast setup! Thanks a million you guys!

I have the 128 GB 850 Evo pro and I store basic applications, drivers, and the OS on it. For everything else to use my 2 TB drive.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

Yeah you can install what ever you want, just when you start to fill it too much, say about 80-90% then it may start to slow down. You have to install your drivers on the system drive anyway, so OS+drivers+programsyoureallyreallylikefast

Cartman - AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 3.1Ghz - 10GB Ram (Mwahahah) - 256GB Crucial MX100 Boot - 2TB WD Red - Gainward GTX 770 - Zalman Insanely Loud CNPS14X - Corsair 230T Orange

Stan - Intel Pentium G3320 - 8GB Ram - 128GB Intel 520 - Raid 1 6TB WD Reds - Bit Fenix Prodigy

Kenny - HP 14 Ultrabook (No name apperently) i3 4130 - 128GB Intel 520

If you are using 128GB SSD, just install windows and "important" / "always using" program on it. 1TB HDD for the rest (including games).

If your budgets is ok, I would recommend going for a 500GB SSD or even 1TB SSD. Then you can store a lot more things on the SSD, like games that will run faster (those that doesn't matter, dont bother putting them in the SSD).

At least that's what I think, but I'm still a noob so what do I know. :P

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

Hello Daltonmec and welcome to Linus Tech Tips forum :)

SSDs require at least 12%-15% free space for optimal performance, so I would recommend leaving about 20GB-25GB free on that SSD.
As for the rest, I would recommend storing your OS plus some of the more demanding programs, drivers and some larger files that you might be working with.
Games generally rely on storage only for their loading times (both initial and in-game), so it shouldn't be a problem to store them on the WD Black drive. FPS and graphics stay unaffected.
I would put Photoshop and Autodesk on the SSD and would keep the files that you work on on the SSD and, after completion, move them to the HDD. 

The general rule of thumb when it comes to SSDs is that the bigger and more empty they are, the better they work. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Thank you all so much!

I'm glad to know about the performance drop off, and about how much to keep freed up for best results! This will definitely help me out in my near future, and I might just grab a larger drive as well, so thank you to everyone who answered! It means a lot to know there's a tech community where people both give an receive to help people from new comers to seasoned enthusiasts!  ^_^

I often say to people having only OS and programs on an SSD and for music's documents videos and in your case drivers I recommend putting on a HDD (or external USB / Harddrive)

Like this you have a fast OS and programs opens really quick. Sure you could do some things on the SSD ;)

Main Rig:
Mainboard: MSI Z270 Tomahawk Arctic | CPU: Intel Core i7 (7700k) @5GHz| RAM: Crutical Ballistix Sport LT (32GB) | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 | Storage: SanDisk Ultra II (1TB) & Samsung 950 Pro (512GB) | PSU: Corsair RM550i | Case: Thermaltake Urban S31 (Snow)

Work Rig:
Mainboard: MSI H170A PC Mate | CPU: Intel Core i3 (6100T) @3.3GHz| RAM: Kingston HyperX 32GB | GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530 | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro (256GB) | PSU: Corsair RM650i | Case: Thermaltake Urban S31

To share some experience, I use a WD Black2 in my laptop which is currently my main computer at home. The drive is basically a 120GB SSD with a 1TB HDD in one 2.5" form factor. It works just like two separate drives. I keep my OS, drivers and a couple of games and programs on the SSD part, having around 20GB free on it, and I keep everything else (all my media, photos, less demanding programs, etc.) on the HDD part. This is what most people would recommend when you use the combination of a SSD and a HDD.

Here's a link to the drive in case you'd like to check it out: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1190

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/