Issue installing RAID 0

tinsleytdi

Hi Guys

I'm having problems installing RAID 0 on my computer.

Motherbored = Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3

HDD's = 2 x Western Digital 3.0TB Green

I'm Trying to instal windows 7 64bit

I've set the Sata controller to RAID and created a RAID volume using the Intel rapid storage and says that it is bootable and is showing 5.5TB. I come a across a problem when it comes to selecting a drive for Windows to be installed on. It registers 2 drives both 764 GB each? How to I get windows installation to recognise the drive as 1 volume and read 5.5TB?

Regards

Dan

Now, if only @Captain_WD was online here he'd be a good one to help you out. I, on the other hand, wouldn't have the foggiest idea of how to help you, sorry.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Hi Guys

I'm having problems installing RAID 0 on my computer.

Motherbored = Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3

HDD's = 2 x Western Digital 3.0TB Green

I'm Trying to instal windows 7 64bit

I've set the Sata controller to RAID and created a RAID volume using the Intel rapid storage and says that it is bootable and is showing 5.5TB. I come a across a problem when it comes to selecting a drive for Windows to be installed on. It registers 2 drives both 764 GB each? How to I get windows installation to recognise the drive as 1 volume and read 5.5TB?

Regards

Dan

Hello tinsleytdi and welcome to Linus Tech Tips forum :)

Now, first of all I must say that Putting two WD Green drives in RAID0 and using them as a bootable drive is a rather bad idea. It is not recommended to use non-NAS/RAID class drives in a RAID array because the chance of dropping out is much larger and thus losing all data on the array. Second, RAID0 enables your drives to work much faster but it doubles the chance of failure as in case either of the drives fail, you would lose everything on both drives. WD Green is a energy-efficient drive and is reported to work good in RAID1, but is is highly risky to use in in RAID0. I would recommend using one of the drives as bootable drive and the second as a secondary storage. Your other option is to get a SSD for a bootable drive and use the other two drives for storage (separately or in RAID1).

How are your drives' settings (AHCI, GPT, etc.)? Can you see the drives normally in they are not in RAID mode? could you post a screenshot of the problem?

Thanks @Geekazoid for mentioning :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Thanks @Geekazoid for mentioning :).

No worries! I knew you were the best man for the job. ;)

No worries! I knew you were the best man for the job. ;)

Good idea , i'll summon him next time i'm arguing storage , thx.

@captain_WD. I know that using them isn't ideal but I'll only have the computer for a few months then it'll be time for a new one. As I've never set up a raid 0 array I wanted to try it just for projects sake. I know it makes it less reliable but mines a gaming machine with no important stuff on it. I haven't tried doing them normally but bios recognises them as a raid volume. I'll try taking them out of raid later and see how it goes. Although I'm not very savy in what the drive settings are all about?

This is just a project for learning sake really, so I know for future builds.

Cheers for the help

Good idea , i'll summon him next time i'm arguing storage , thx.

Well he works for a storage company (Western Digital), who better to ask? We need his wealth of knowledge! ;):)

@captain_WD. I know that using them isn't ideal but I'll only have the computer for a few months then it'll be time for a new one. As I've never set up a raid 0 array I wanted to try it just for projects sake. I know it makes it less reliable but mines a gaming machine with no important stuff on it. I haven't tried doing them normally but bios recognises them as a raid volume. I'll try taking them out of raid later and see how it goes. Although I'm not very savy in what the drive settings are all about?

This is just a project for learning sake really, so I know for future builds.

Cheers for the help

Look up Linus's videos on RAID and the appropriate settings for them. Basically you would need to choose between MBR or GPT for your HDD and see if the drives work well under AHCI instead of IDE. 
It's always good to learn from first hand experience. I've always preferred it over reading tons of documentation. :) Best of luck in your journey into the mystic storage world. 

Feel free to ask if you have any questions, guys! I will be happy to provide any info or experience that I have.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

Just seen a video where a guy Stripes 5 HDD'S in RAID 0....just that seems overkill haha totalling 9.8TB

@captain_WD

I've followed linus' videos. Bow from wall I can tell bios side is all good. The issue is getting the driver to the windows instalation. I've got it on a usb stick and plug it into a 3.0 port but windows 7 instalation won't recognise it.

Any ideas

Try using a USB 2.0 port, USB 3.0 support outside of windows fully installed is a bit iffy still.

Cartman - AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 3.1Ghz - 10GB Ram (Mwahahah) - 256GB Crucial MX100 Boot - 2TB WD Red - Gainward GTX 770 - Zalman Insanely Loud CNPS14X - Corsair 230T Orange

Stan - Intel Pentium G3320 - 8GB Ram - 128GB Intel 520 - Raid 1 6TB WD Reds - Bit Fenix Prodigy

Kenny - HP 14 Ultrabook (No name apperently) i3 4130 - 128GB Intel 520

@captain_WD

I've followed linus' videos. Bow from wall I can tell bios side is all good. The issue is getting the driver to the windows instalation. I've got it on a usb stick and plug it into a 3.0 port but windows 7 instalation won't recognise it.

Any ideas

Can you redo the USB stick (reconfigure it as a boot drive again)? Something might have gone bad while formatting the flash drive. Here's a guide by Microsoft on how to do that http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool.

@TheGeekster also has a point. I would also try using the USB2.0 port before doing anything else. 

If all else fails, I would call Microsoft's support and ask for help.

Captain_WD.