Need helping with upgrading my PC from AMD to Intel!

CPU: AMD FX 9590 
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 120 GB SSD 
Water Cooler: Seidon 280MM Water Cooler 
Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Memory 
Motherboard: 990FXA-UD3 AM3+ 
Video Card: 3GB HIS R9 280x 
Case:Coolermaster Cosmos II 
Storage: 6TB 
Power Supply: Coolermaster GXII 750W 
Keyboard: CM Storm Keyboard (LED Backlit) 
Mouse: Logitech M325

Hi,

This is my current build right now. I am planning on buying an i7-4790k intel CPU along with a Z97 motherboard. Not sure which one.

I am actually an amateur at computers and this PC was given to me by a friend. Sadly, it sometimes freezes when having multiple programs turned on along with a game. 

I also heard the power supply is terrible and this may result in overheating or something?

Video card has to have more VRAM and I am looking into a GTX 970 or GTX 980 since Nvidia is what I'm more comfortable with.

Can I hear your opinions please?

CPU: AMD FX 9590 

SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 120 GB SSD 

Water Cooler: Seidon 280MM Water Cooler 

Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Memory 

Motherboard: 990FXA-UD3 AM3+ 

Video Card: 3GB HIS R9 280x 

Case:Coolermaster Cosmos II 

Storage: 6TB 

Power Supply: Coolermaster GXII 750W 

Keyboard: CM Storm Keyboard (LED Backlit) 

Mouse: Logitech M325

Hi,

This is my current build right now. I am planning on buying an i7-4790k intel CPU along with a Z97 motherboard. Not sure which one.

I am actually an amateur at computers and this PC was given to me by a friend. Sadly, it sometimes freezes when having multiple programs turned on along with a game. 

I also heard the power supply is terrible and this may result in overheating or something?

Video card has to have more VRAM and I am looking into a GTX 970 or GTX 980 since Nvidia is what I'm more comfortable with.

Can I hear your opinions please?

Do you want to reuse any components you already have?

Things I would change (awesome PC as a gift though I disagree 100% with the 9590):

- Change motherboard to Asus Z97-A, Maximus VII Ranger, MSI Z97 gaming 5 or Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 5 (You have options)

- Change CPU to 4790k

- Change GPU to GTX 970/980 if playing demanding games

- Change PSU to EVGA G2 750W for SLI and OC'ing/device headroom

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Do you want to reuse any components you already have?

Yes, besides the ones I mentioned, I would like to reuse them. I did hear that I may have to upgrade if I do get better hardware though.

If you're gaming just go with the i5 4690k, if you're not only gaming and you're doing quite a bit of multitasking then an i7 4790k  is good too. For a motherboard I would reccommend a z97-a from asus as it's pretty stable. I don't know about the power supply, other people may be able to give you opinions. Regarding the GPU, the 280x is pretty strong, but if you have the money definitely go with a gtx 970 as it's even with the 980 when overclocked. Good luck.

Things I would change (awesome PC as a gift though I disagree 100% with the 9590):

- Change motherboard to Asus Z97-A, Maximus VII Ranger, MSI Z97 gaming 5 or Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 5 (You have options)

- Change CPU to 4790k

- Change GPU to GTX 970/980 if playing demanding games

- Change PSU to EVGA G2 750W for SLI and OC'ing/device headroom

Thanks for your opinion! :D

For me, Overclocking seems risky and I don't really need to do it. 

Motherboard choices are great! Thanks

4790k it is!

I do play all demanding games including Alien Isolation, 250 modded ultra Skyrim, farcry 4, and such.

Does anyone know any good tutorials out there with replacing parts?

I never built one myself and I have no idea how to replace parts or take out and such. Anyone can recommend me some good guides?

Thanks

If you're gaming just go with the i5 4690k, if you're not only gaming and you're doing quite a bit of multitasking then an i7 4790k  is good too. For a motherboard I would reccommend a z97-a from asus as it's pretty stable. I don't know about the power supply, other people may be able to give you opinions. Regarding the GPU, the 280x is pretty strong, but if you have the money definitely go with a gtx 970 as it's even with the 980 when overclocked. Good luck.

Thank you! Multi-tasking for sure since I am going into programming soon and gaming will be my side hobby. 

Thanks for your opinion! :D

For me, Overclocking seems risky and I don't really need to do it. 

Motherboard choices are great! Thanks

4790k it is!

I do play all demanding games including Alien Isolation, 250 modded ultra Skyrim, farcry 4, and such.

Does anyone know any good tutorials out there with replacing parts?

I never built one myself and I have no idea how to replace parts or take out and such. Anyone can recommend me some good guides?

Thanks

Let me tell you this then:

- Overclocking is not risky at all once you know what you're doing (A 30 minute video by linus is enough to know what to do, otherwise I can guide you through it realtime via skype on a laptop or something)

- If you are adamant on not overclocking though then you would be better off with an E3 xeon such as the E3-1231v3 or E3-1276v3

- With 250 mod skyrim you might want to go SLI 970 then, otherwise if you don't want potential SLI issues then get a single 980 though the 970 is TONS TONS TONS better value

As for replacing parts you could just watch a how to build a pc guide like this one since the principle remains the same:

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Let me tell you this then:

- Overclocking is not risky at all once you know what you're doing (A 30 minute video by linus is enough to know what to do, otherwise I can guide you through it realtime via skype on a laptop or something)

- If you are adamant on not overclocking though then you would be better off with an E3 xeon such as the E3-1231v3 or E3-1276v3

- With 250 mod skyrim you might want to go SLI 970 then, otherwise if you don't want potential SLI issues then get a single 980 though the 970 is TONS TONS TONS better value

As for replacing parts you could just watch a how to build a pc guide like this one since the principle remains the same:

Thank you good sir! You saved me!

I heard overclocking can really wear your graphics card or whatever down so it will die faster or something. (Sorry amateur)

SLI?! You mean two 970s linked together or something? Woah. 

Thanks for the video guide link! Thanks!

I heard overclocking can really wear your graphics card or whatever down so it will die faster or something. (Sorry amateur)

It can when you go too extreme but mild OC's on stock voltage or only slightly above stock will barely affect the components (My GTX 970 runs on 1.237V instead of stock 1.218V and this will barely affect lifespan). THis is again you can control yourself: Want more life? Slightly lower speed and voltage. Need more speed? Slightly higher clock speed (And maybe voltage)

Do be aware that SLI CAN have a few issues:

- Microstutter, spikes in time needed per frame which is perceived as stutter. This is very non-existent in 2-way configs nowadays though 3 and 4-way still suffer more from this. Note that the performance scaling is not exactly double but it will usually be 60-90% (depends on game and driver optimizations). It's pretty non-existent in 2-way SLI as I said but it is possible to have some

- Increased heat output and power draw. This is guaranteed. The power draw you can do nothing against but the increased heat (From having 2 cards being close to each other) can be a non-issue with either good cards, good motherboard spacing or a case with good airflow (Cosmos II is amazing for SLI/CF so you're good there). The Maximus ranger has 3 slots (example) in between the slots you use for graphics card so that improves airflow because there is space in between the cards. If there are only 2 slots in between the PCIe slots that hold the graphics card then the top card can suffocate because it's kissing the bottom card. The ranger is an excellent board for this because it has excellent spacing but more boards have good spacing like this

These 2 video's will help you overclock a 4790k, Note you need a good cooler for this but you have a Seidon 280MM so you are fine on that part.

Thank you good sir! You saved me!

no overclocking is safe if you have a nice fan profile to cool your gpu incase you have reference card's i advice buying an after market cooler from arctic cooling btw in case you need any help with oc fell free to make a post about it .. and pls don't over volt your gpu too much also there are saved profiles available online for every gpu these days thus it may save you the hassle of tweaking stuff 

It can when you go too extreme but mild OC's on stock voltage or only slightly above stock will barely affect the components (My GTX 970 runs on 1.237V instead of stock 1.218V and this will barely affect lifespan). THis is again you can control yourself: Want more life? Slightly lower speed and voltage. Need more speed? Slightly higher clock speed (And maybe voltage)

Do be aware that SLI CAN have a few issues:

- Microstutter, spikes in time needed per frame which is perceived as stutter. This is very non-existent in 2-way configs nowadays though 3 and 4-way still suffer more from this. Note that the performance scaling is not exactly double but it will usually be 60-90% (depends on game and driver optimizations). It's pretty non-existent in 2-way SLI as I said but it is possible to have some

- Increased heat output and power draw. This is guaranteed. The power draw you can do nothing against but the increased heat (From having 2 cards being close to each other) can be a non-issue with either good cards, good motherboard spacing or a case with good airflow (Cosmos II is amazing for SLI/CF so you're good there). The Maximus ranger has 3 slots (example) in between the slots you use for graphics card so that improves airflow because there is space in between the cards. If there are only 2 slots in between the PCIe slots that hold the graphics card then the top card can suffocate because it's kissing the bottom card. The ranger is an excellent board for this because it has excellent spacing but more boards have good spacing like this

These 2 video's will help you overclock a 4790k, Note you need a good cooler for this but you have a Seidon 280MM so you are fine on that part.

Thank you very much again!

So the maximus ranger is definitely a better option than any z97 motherboard? 

Due to the amount of room between the cards to reduce overheating.

Interesting~

Thank you again! Will post again or pm you just in case!

no overclocking is safe if you have a nice fan profile to cool your gpu incase you have reference card's i advice buying an after market cooler from arctic cooling btw in case you need any help with oc fell free to make a post about it .. and pls don't over volt your gpu too much also there are saved profiles available online for every gpu these days thus it may save you the hassle of tweaking stuff 

Thank you very much for your advice!

Nice SNSD gif btw :D

I will pm you if i have trouble!

So the maximus ranger is definitely a better option than any z97 motherboard? 

The ranger was just an example. There are plenty of boards that have that and the boards I mentioned (asus Z97-a, gigabyte Z97x-Gaming 5, MSI Z97 Gaming 5) all have that same spacing.

Due to the amount of room between the cards to reduce overheating.

Maxwell cards will need quite a bit to overheat but this spacing will just make it easier to handle and still allows you to OC. Do make sure you have good intake for this though.

Thank you very much for your advice!

Nice SNSD gif btw :D

I will pm you if i have trouble!

yeah fell free to pm me,i will respond promptly since i am on the forum 24/7 .... do you consider dual booting with linux ??? 

and even if the maximus mobo has better clearance for two cards there are other z97 boards out there these days that have the same kind of clearance no need to pay a premium for maximus 

The ranger was just an example. There are plenty of boards that have that and the boards I mentioned (asus Z97-a, gigabyte Z97x-Gaming 5, MSI Z97 Gaming 5) all have that same spacing.

Maxwell cards will need quite a bit to overheat but this spacing will just make it easier to handle and still allows you to OC. Do make sure you have good intake for this though.

Ah ok Thank you! :D