7870 Overheating issue.

hatycat
Go to solution Solved by Wats,

Hmm, do you think if I reseated it myself and it didn't solve my issues, I could still RMA it? or would MSI notice the different thermal compund and refuse to help me? 

I don't think they're worried about thermal paste. Just don't physically damage the card and they should help you.

Dust your case while you have it open.

Limited Warranty

• Removal and/or damaging of the SN/PN sticker(s) on all MSI products will void all warranties associated with that product.
  • When sending in your defective product for service, a copy of the RMA e-mail MUST be included in the package or the RMA may be declined and shipped back (at the customer's expense).
  • Products sent in for RMA will be repaired or replaced with a product of equal or greater performance based on availability.
  • Repaired, replaced or exchanged Product will be warranted for the remainder of the original warranty.
  • Please be sure ONLY send in the defective product. Keep all accessories and driver discs with you unless specified.
  • The MSI product MUST be free of any physical damage due to improper installation or modification of ANY kind (this includes installing aftermarket parts) or the warranty WILL be VOID.
  • The product MUST be returned to MSI in the original factory configuration and condition. All aftermarket modifications must be reversed prior to sending in the product for repair or replacement.
  • MSI reserves the right to inspect and verify the defects of any product(s) returned and further reserves the right to claim for service charge from the customer for any product returned incomplete or modified if product requires repair or replacement or when the customer is not entitled to any coverage under this limited lifetime warranty.
  • Products returned with customer-induced damage (including, but not limited to physical damage) will be charged for out of warranty repair fee.
  • MSI reserves the right to change this policy without advance notice.
  •  

Round 1: Sooo I have had my 7870 (msi Twin frozr III) for about 6 months now, and the other day I was Doing a bit of work on my computer then after I booted up S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (great game by the way.) and my fan revved up to 100% and my temps sky rocketed. So I turned it down to stock speed, and booted up kombuster, my GPU hit 80 degrees at 100% fan speed in seconds. I also got a couple of beeps while the computer was running from my motherboard speaker, though everything was normal during POST. Here is a list of things I did right before the problem occured: Install ATX power extension Install PCi-e power extensions (not the problem tried switching back to plugging it straight to the power supply.) unplug/replug all case I/O flip exhaust fan around to use it as an intake. screw graphics card Higher in PCI-E slot to help correct a sag. My best guess is moving it around dislodged the heatsink a bit, and I'd just take the heatsink off reapply thermal compound and put it back. But I am worried about voiding my warranty if that is not the problem. I really don't want to RMA it but I will if I have to... any thoughts or Idea's would be welcome.

The safe way would definitely be to just RMA it.  

i5-3570K @4.2ghz | Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | 16GB G. Skill Ripjaw 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 (2x8GB) | 120GB Vertex 3/640GB WD 7200RPM | AMD HD7950 @ 1025mhz | 600W Corsair CS600 | Hyper 212 CPU Cooler | 5x 120mm fans 79cfm | Ultra Defender Case

My best guess is moving it around dislodged the heatsink a bit, and I'd just take the heatsink off reapply thermal compound and put it back. But I am worried about voiding my warranty if that is not the problem. I really don't want to RMA it but I will if I have to...

You are right, its mostlikely either RMA or reseating the cooler yourself.

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

The safe way would definitely be to just RMA it.  

Yeah, but I really don't wait to wait/pay to mail it. So I thought I would ask incase it could be avoided.

You are right, its mostlikely either RMA or reseating the cooler yourself.

Hmm, do you think if I reseated it myself and it didn't solve my issues, I could still RMA it? or would MSI notice the different thermal compund and refuse to help me? 

I don't think they're worried about thermal paste. Just don't physically damage the card and they should help you.

Limited Warranty

• Removal and/or damaging of the SN/PN sticker(s) on all MSI products will void all warranties associated with that product.
  • When sending in your defective product for service, a copy of the RMA e-mail MUST be included in the package or the RMA may be declined and shipped back (at the customer's expense).
  • Products sent in for RMA will be repaired or replaced with a product of equal or greater performance based on availability.
  • Repaired, replaced or exchanged Product will be warranted for the remainder of the original warranty.
  • Please be sure ONLY send in the defective product. Keep all accessories and driver discs with you unless specified.
  • The MSI product MUST be free of any physical damage due to improper installation or modification of ANY kind (this includes installing aftermarket parts) or the warranty WILL be VOID.
  • The product MUST be returned to MSI in the original factory configuration and condition. All aftermarket modifications must be reversed prior to sending in the product for repair or replacement.
  • MSI reserves the right to inspect and verify the defects of any product(s) returned and further reserves the right to claim for service charge from the customer for any product returned incomplete or modified if product requires repair or replacement or when the customer is not entitled to any coverage under this limited lifetime warranty.
  • Products returned with customer-induced damage (including, but not limited to physical damage) will be charged for out of warranty repair fee.
  • MSI reserves the right to change this policy without advance notice.
  •  

Yeah, but I really don't wait to wait/pay to mail it. So I thought I would ask incase it could be avoided.

I wouldn't open it as if they find out they will void your warranty..

brilliant, looks like I Will be reseating it tonight, Wish me luck!

I wouldn't open it as if they find out they will void your warranty..

Thanks for the concern, but according to the post above the warranty is only void if you damage it during the modification, I am fairly confident in my abilities, I will be careful not to scratch any screws just incase though.

brilliant, looks like I Will be reseating it tonight, Wish me luck!

Take your time.

<p>Reseated and now it runs cooler then Before (probably cause IC diamond) ! incase anyone ran into this issues</p>