How to build a PC with girlfriend

IMPERIUS

Hi!

I'm building my first rig in a week and my girlfriend said that she want to help me. So ok then, challenge accepted.

I meant to put in the sensitive parts myself and then I would leave some wiring and some not-so esd endangered things to her.

Any other suggestions on how to hande it?

Thanks

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Anti-static ankle/wrist strap?

Show her some LMG/FAP videos.

No I dont have them, I just touch a grounded psu or something like that. She will do it too but I still want to do the sensitive parts myself since I have experience and she doesnt

You should have her install the fans, GPU, and mobo standoffs. Have the mobo, CPU, and CPU cooler pre-assembled. Put them in and let her screw in the mobo screws. Let her pop in the GPU. Then plug in the front panel connectors and show her/let her plug in the rest of the data and power cables.

Essentially, the CPU install has to be perfect and the front connector has to be perfect. If you don't want to cause a headache or confuse her (as these two steps can be confusing) do them yourself.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

Anti-static ankle/wrist strap?

Show her some LMG/FAP videos.

fap video's

never gets old

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

let her build the whole thing :D

Ask her to strip down to ensure no static build up. I build my PC with only boxers in my kitchen at like 2pm. Parents came home going like wtf.

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

Ask her to strip down to ensure no static build up. I build my PC with only boxers in my kitchen at like 2pm. Parents came home going like wtf.

Hardware pr0n.

I think OP will like her stripping but it's not like it's some role playing sex fantasy, involving computer building.....

I think...

Honestly I would just sit behind her and let her do everything while guiding her step by step (you can place the cpu in the socket first). That way she'll learn more/better/faster about building a pc (if that's what she's into). Explain to her every steps like why she has to put that first,why it has to be done in such ways etc2..It's not that hard really. No need to pamper her too much.

Wow this thread becane double-meaningful quick. Thanks for the suggestions!

Wow this thread becane double-meaningful quick. Thanks for the suggestions!

Indeed, speaks volumes as to the maturity level... In all honesty if you left the majority of it to her then you'd likely end up with far neater cable management as well as superior/more effective thermal past application. Plus your other more delicate/sensitive components would likely be handled with better care.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

should have told her that if she gives you some fun in the bedroom then she can help build the pc :)

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

Let her apply the termic paste and mount the cpu + cpu cooler, have fun!

Ok, maybe not, just let her do the wiring there is almost nothing that could go wrong except the power/reset and leds but you can correct her and it wouldn't do any damage anyway.

Help her with cable management though.

not really sure... pc building never seemed like a group activity to me as extra hands just get in the way. pretty much just referring to manuals and squinting at the tiny text on your motherboard. the rest is just screwing things in. plugging in the headers is probably the most obnoxious part and easiest to mess up which just wastes time, so perhaps you should do that part to save a headache for you both.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

+1 to let her build the whole thing! Let her experience PC building! Just give her instructions and keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't mess anything up.

Hold on, this is the OPs FIRST building experience too.  Honestly, have her just watch and talk to each other.

Ask her to put the cpu while bending. If you know what I mean.

Just ask her to watch and learn.

My GF built her first build at christmas as i bought her her very first PC., she built it all herself, and now tell everyone she did, she enjoyed it, took her around 5 hours, with all the cable management and stuff, but she loved it , guide her and let her do it will be good bonding for both of you xD 

Pic of her finished build below =) , and she did everything,, and the Define R5 was a dream for her to build in 

10428666_10152487127617191_8863495882740

Specs 

CPU-Intel I7 4790K- @ 4.5Ghz / Mobo - Asus Maximus Hero VII / GPU - GTX 980 @ 1592MHz / RAM - 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2400Mhz / Cooler - Corsair H105 / SSD - Samsung 250gb 840 EVO / HDD - 2x 2tb Seagate/3x 3tb Seagate / PSU - Corsair RM1000 / Keyboard - Corsair K70 / Mouse - Corsair M65 / Case - Custom Glass panel Corsair Obsidian 750D -  Still saving for upgrades =)

...not to sound perverted but it's often recommended to do it naked. For static reasons, especially if you aren't going to be using a wrist strap. -_-

As long as you make all the anti-ESD precautions, then dive right in, I guess :D

"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Apology 38a, Socrates

My GF built her first build at christmas as i bought her her very first PC., she built it all herself, and now tell everyone she did, she enjoyed it, took her around 5 hours, with all the cable management and stuff, but she loved it , guide her and let her do it will be good bonding for both of you xD 

Pic of her finished build below =) , and she did everything,, and the Define R5 was a dream for her to build in 

10428666_10152487127617191_8863495882740

Why u got the same PSU as me and ur 980 can go 100mhz higher than mine?

#SuperJelly

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Why u got the same PSU as me and ur 980 can go 100mhz higher than mine?

#SuperJelly

lolz just luck i guess sorry dude xD 

Specs 

CPU-Intel I7 4790K- @ 4.5Ghz / Mobo - Asus Maximus Hero VII / GPU - GTX 980 @ 1592MHz / RAM - 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2400Mhz / Cooler - Corsair H105 / SSD - Samsung 250gb 840 EVO / HDD - 2x 2tb Seagate/3x 3tb Seagate / PSU - Corsair RM1000 / Keyboard - Corsair K70 / Mouse - Corsair M65 / Case - Custom Glass panel Corsair Obsidian 750D -  Still saving for upgrades =)

Let her do the CPU cooler/Fans/PSU/Storage devices or even the Ram maybe?
Those are relatively easy things to do and don't really require much experience.
Didn't notice it was already done, didn't look cause I'm a dummy  :P