Headset for gaming and music

nims0c

I'm looking for a headset (or headphones+ModMic) for gaming and listening to music. Given Sennheiser's reputation, I started my search there.

I was first interested in HD 598 because I had heard good things about them, but I don't care for their looks so I considered HD 558, PC 363D, and G4ME ONE as well. G4ME ONE would be my top pick because of aesthetics, the fact that the mic is integrated (don't have to pay more for a mic, no 2nd cable, sturdier?), and the mic is supposed to be great. However, audio quality is important too given this large investment. So how does the G4ME ONE stack up to HD 558, HD 598, and PC 363D in terms of audio and mic quality?

I've also heard that Kingston HyperX Cloud are good, but does this much cheaper headset really compare? Should I be considering other solutions? (HD 598+ModMic would probably be the top end of my budget.)

From my research, I discovered that I would need something more than onboard audio to take advantage of such cans. Is this true? If yes, should I get a sound card or amp+DAC?

I like to be pretty thorough so pardon the onslaught of questions. Also, I can't for the life of me find the search functionality on this forum!

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

Closed back: ATH-M40x + Modmic 4.0

Open back: ATH-AD500X/700X, HD558 + Modmic 4.0

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

do you have a budget?

| CPU: Intel Core i3 4130 | GPU: PowerColor R9 270 | Motherboard: Asrock H81M-HDS | RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 4GB |

|HDD: Western Digital 1TB | Case: NZXT Source 210 | PSU: Corsair CX430W | 

| Mic: Blue Snowball iCE | Mouse: Corsair K65 RGB | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma |

I suggest an AKG K612 Pro (~170$ or less) and a blue snowflake mic (~35$).

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

I like to be pretty thorough so pardon the onslaught of questions. Also, I can't for the life of me find the search functionality on this forum!

Search is currently disabled, you can use google to search "search words site:linustechtips.com"

honestly the Game Zeros are ok, but I picker my mmx300s over them for the far superior mic

Generally the best advice is get a decent pair of stereo headphones, sennhesier, audio technica, beyers or something,

and get a desktop mic, like a blue yeti, at2020, rode podcaster  OR cheap lavelier OR a mod mic

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

do you have a budget?

The equivalent of HD 598+ModMic, so about $350 CAD ($300 USD).

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

Search is currently disabled, you can use google to search "search words site:linustechtips.com"

honestly the Game Zeros are ok, but I picker my mmx300s over them for the far superior mic

Generally the best advice is get a decent pair of stereo headphones, sennhesier, audio technica, beyers or something,

and get a desktop mic, like a blue yeti, at2020, rode podcaster  OR cheap lavelier OR a mod mic

Thank you for the search tip.

The cheapest I can find MMX 300 for is 400 CAD compared to $300 and $330 for G4ME ONE and G4ME ZERO, respectively (regular price), so that's something I'd have to keep in mind.

I've looked into desktop mics but they seem to be quite expensive for my needs (gaming and video chatting). I'm leaning towards a headset or ModMic.

Thank you for the search tip.

The cheapest I can find MMX 300 for is 400 CAD compared to $300 and $330 for G4ME ONE and G4ME ZERO, respectively (regular price), so that's something I'd have to keep in mind.

I've looked into desktop mics but they seem to be quite expensive for my needs (gaming and video chatting). I'm leaning towards a headset or ModMic.

Yeah the mmx300 is not cheap, if you dont need the audio quality then get the mod mic, it still sounds great and you can use it with any headphones (or even multiple headphones)

Real mics are expensive but are worth it IMO, but obviously if you are only skyping friends it might be considered OTT

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826193069

lol I actually own these and I love them.

I can wear them for hours without hurting my ears.

The mic is great people I play dota, teamfortress, and counterstrike with tell me the sound quality is very clear.

And as for music I honestly can't tell the difference between these and some beats I tried at a store. (to be fair though, it wasn't a side by side comparison. But it still didn't blow my mind so damn much that I actually noticed any difference)

Last but not least, theres a vibration function you can turn off and on to your leisure. It the shit dude, any time there's an explosion or you're firing a heavy machine gun the headset vibrates. It really adds to the experience. There's nothing like killing 5 people in dota and getting a RAMPAGEEEE and it vibrates.

Edit: just something to look at lol. Sennheiser makes really great headsets too

Thanks for the video. I didn't know that open headphones tend to have better positional audio. I guess that's why both Logan and Linus prefer them for gaming. I'm going to narrow my search to open headphones.

I looked into the ATH-AD500X/ATH-AD700X/ATH-AD900X. Barnacules, HardwareCanucks, and Tek Syndicate report that the wing support system isn't that comfortable for extended periods of time. Barnacules also pointed out that the cups don't swivel up and down to stay flat on the sides of one's head, so they seem to be better suited for people with very large heads.

Can anyone comment on this aspect?

Avoid any AT's with that flakey 'wing support' headband.  Horrible headband design.  They tend to slide off your head if you move around too much.

On the lower end, I would get the AKG 612 Pro's (see Barnacles review).  Or if you're willing to spend a bit more, AKG 702 65th Anniversary edition or 712's.  I've had both the HD558 and 598 previously, and found the AKG's to be much more comfortable for extended periods.  They have a sound signature more to my liking (more bass than the Senns), and I think they also look better.

Buy used and don't buy a headset.

Don't buy a headset because they're not worth their value or because the sound quality isn't as good? If the latter, isn't something like the ATH-ADG1 basically the ATH-AD700X with a mic so it would still sound great?

Avoid any AT's with that flakey 'wing support' headband.  Horrible headband design.  They tend to slide off your head if you move around too much.

On the lower end, I would get the AKG 612 Pro's (see Barnacles review).  Or if you're willing to spend a bit more, AKG 702 65th Anniversary edition or 712's.  I've had both the HD558 and 598 previously, and found the AKG's to be much more comfortable for extended periods.  They have a sound signature more to my liking (more bass than the Senns), and I think they also look better.

That's another recommendation for AKG K612 PRO, so these are probably at the top of my list. K702 and K712 PRO are out of my price range, considering I'd also have to add $50 for the ModMic.

Given the higher impedance of K612 PRO, would I absolutely need a dedicated sound card or amp+DAC? Is there something I could get to make these usable on a phone or tablet as well?

No you don't need an amp or DAC, onboard sound is fine. The impedance is high, but it's fairly sensitive. Always try without an amp first (onboard), to avoid wasting money.

Barnacles mentioned in that review that an amp is needed, but that's where he's wrong (forgot to point that out). I've tried the 612's with onboard sound (ALC1150), and they get loud @ 40-50%. Volume levels were also loud enough (albeit, near max) on my iPhone 5S and iPad Air, just make sure you're in a somewhat quiet room as they are open.

Don't buy a headset because they're not worth their value or because the sound quality isn't as good? If the latter, isn't something like the ATH-ADG1 basically the ATH-AD700X with a mic so it would still sound great?

AD500x (Basically the same thing as the 700x) + modmic = $130

ADG1 = $280

No you don't need an amp or DAC, onboard sound is fine. The impedance is high, but it's fairly sensitive. Always try without an amp first (onboard), to avoid wasting money.

Barnacles mentioned in that review that an amp is needed, but that's where he's wrong (forgot to point that out). I've tried the 612's with onboard sound (ALC1150), and they get loud @ 40-50%. Volume levels were also loud enough (albeit, near max) on my iPhone 5S and iPad Air, just make sure you're in a somewhat quiet room as they are open.

Awesome. Thanks for the info.

AD500x (Basically the same thing as the 700x) + modmic = $130

ADG1 = $280

Right, so it's the value aspect. I was just curious.

Right, so it's the value aspect. I was just curious.

Well everything about audio is about value. How it stacks up to the competition determines what is good or bad. 

Well everything about audio is about value. How it stacks up to the competition determines what is good or bad. 

That's true, but sometimes a product has a particular feature that I find useful and others don't care about, so I would have to take that into consideration.