FX 4300 Not good enough for Batman Arkham Origins

Guest Console Peasant
Go to solution Solved by Faa,

Unfortunately for you I actually do know quite allot about computer hardware and am learning a bit more almost each and everyday. I also have the common sense to not spend money on the AMD FX line of CPUs which is allot more sense than many PC users have LOL. Have a good night man.

Well, just be constructive, don't just yell here "AMD sucks lololol, Intel better". Prove your points, make some valid arguments, be detailed, earn the credits you have to deserve and then you have the right to bash AMD. There's nothing wrong with bashing AMD, if that's all you do without being constructive then it's trolling - the right place to do that would be youtube. Most people just link a benchmark or two and compare the prices between AMD & Intel and it's always Intel offering a better value as most people here are gamers. Start off with accepting your mistakes, cant exactly remember what you've been saying way before you bought the i5 but it was completely wrong. Just do what I said and only die-hard AMD fanboys will hate you here for hurting them with the truth.

Bottom line though, this is all great fun but the op having a hard time running batman on an FX-4300 CPU it's not the CPU' fault i have played that game and it's really not cpu intensive at all a core 2 duo would run this butter smooth so there's got to be something else causing is issue.

OP if you've read this far make sure your AMD Chipset driver is correctly installed...at first when i got my FX i had issues and this was causing it...once i installed this it went much better.

I had what I personally consider frame rate issue in Batman AO on my old Phenom II x4 955 as it would drop below 60fps and sometimes stay there for awhile. Switched to Intel and the performance is amazing now in Batman AO and many of my other games.

Bottom line though, this is all great fun but the op having a hard time running batman on an FX-4300 CPU it's not the CPU' fault i have played that game and it's really not cpu intensive at all a core 2 duo would run this butter smooth so there's got to be something else causing is issue.

OP if you've read this far make sure your AMD Chipset driver is correctly installed...at first when i got my FX i had issues and this was causing it...once i installed this it went much better.

i think ive installed the latest chipset, for the 960G anyway.

Then your CPU is bottlenecking. I wouldn't bother moving your ram up to 1600MHz, waste of time, won't give you any performance. The 4670K is easily twice as fast and anything AMD offers is the same bottlenecking garbage.

thanks mate, getting 4690k btw ! :P I'll post if it goes well

stop blamming amd... it isn't their fault,their chips like the 8350 are just fine you picked up the wrong chip for the wrong use also that mobo is plain bad 

I didn't say the 8350 was bad are you serious lmao? I didn't even blame AMD, just saying the fx 4300 isn't good enough

Played the first 3 arkham games on an FX4300 myself, the games ran perfectly for me.

sorry for that reaction outburst :P

no prob!  ;)

Played the first 3 arkham games on an FX4300 myself, the games ran perfectly for me.

weird, did they drop below 60 at all?

@   I dont know about when I had my GT630, as I never had anything showing fps at the time, but since I got my GTX780; I keep shadowplay on with the FPS counter showing. I dont know how accurate that counter is, I dont remember it dipping below 60FPS. But for arguments sake, and because it has been awhile since I last played it; I might download it again through steam and check. But I am running an overclock at 4.6GHz atm (Can go to 4.8GHz stable, in case you are interested), as I just recently got a Corsair H75 cpu cooler with fans in a push pull config. I am also running on an MSI 970 gaming motherboard, which may or may not make a difference with regards to the CPU performance between us both. Experience wants to tell me it wont make that much of a difference, but I also know the motherboard you have is running a chipset from 2007. It was never originally intended to run an FX chip, but has been Frankensteined to do it. With the Bulldozer releasing in 2011, and piledriver in 2012; that is a minimum of a four year old chipset at that point.

Been 100% honest with you here, I would personally bite the bullet and move over to Intel if I was in your shoes. Mainly because I would want to ditch that ancient chipset as fast as possible. It is one thing been on a 970 or 990 chipset, but a 760G is far too old for me. The current and most sensible platform to go with at this point for a new build or upgrade, is 100% intel for the purpose of gaming. And is fast becoming the most sensible platform to go with for everything else too.

(Disclaimer: I am not saying the FX chips can not play games here, I own the FX4300 currently; and have never had an issue on that front. I am also not going to get into an argument over this Intel vs AMD bs again either. We all get it, and we all know the facts. Intel is better for gaming at the moment, but only makes sense to go with Intel on a brand new build; or for the purpose of an immediately needed upgrade to more powerful hardware. Anyone who trys to pull me into another Intel vs AMD war, will just reported to the moderation team)

If you dont have much money available though, and if you really wanted too (as would have to be your choice, and I am not recommending or endorsing this option to you or anyone. Just showing you both options). You could go out and buy the newest 970 chipset motherboard, which is the Asrock Fatal1ty 970 performance, and has an 8+2 power phase. Not sure what country you are in, but here in the uk it is only around the £60 to £70 mark. Retailer dependant obviously. Choice would have to be yours though, and I can not guarantee it would improve your experience one bit. Again, my own experience says it wont make that much difference. Not with a quad core anyway. Only real advantage I can see it giving you, is the ability to overclock the CPU a little.

@   I dont know about when I had my GT630, as I never had anything showing fps at the time, but since I got my GTX780; I keep shadowplay on with the FPS counter showing. I dont know how accurate that counter is, I dont remember it dipping below 60FPS. But for arguments sake, and because it has been awhile since I last played it; I might download it again through steam and check. But I am running an overclock at 4.6GHz atm (Can go to 4.8GHz stable, in case you are interested), as I just recently got a Corsair H75 cpu cooler with fans in a push pull config. I am also running on an MSI 970 gaming motherboard, which may or may not make a difference with regards to the CPU performance between us both. Experience wants to tell me it wont make that much of a difference, but I also know the motherboard you have is running a chipset from 2007. It was never originally intended to run an FX chip, but has been Frankensteined to do it. With the Bulldozer releasing in 2011, and piledriver in 2012; that is a minimum of a four year old chipset at that point.

Been 100% honest with you here, I would personally bite the bullet and move over to Intel if I was in your shoes. Mainly because I would want to ditch that ancient chipset as fast as possible. It is one thing been on a 970 or 990 chipset, but a 760G is far too old for me. The current and most sensible platform to go with at this point for a new build or upgrade, is 100% intel for the purpose of gaming. And is fast becoming the most sensible platform to go with for everything else too.

(Disclaimer: I am not saying the FX chips can not play games here, I own the FX4300 currently; and have never had an issue on that front. I am also not going to get into an argument over this Intel vs AMD bs again either. We all get it, and we all know the facts. Intel is better for gaming at the moment, but only makes sense to go with Intel on a brand new build; or for the purpose of an immediately needed upgrade to more powerful hardware. Anyone who trys to pull me into another Intel vs AMD war, will just reported to the moderation team)

If you dont have much money available though, and if you really wanted too (as would have to be your choice, and I am not recommending or endorsing this option to you or anyone. Just showing you both options). You could go out and buy the newest 970 chipset motherboard, which is the Asrock Fatal1ty 970 performance, and has an 8+2 power phase. Not sure what country you are in, but here in the uk it is only around the £60 to £70 mark. Retailer dependant obviously. Choice would have to be yours though, and I can not guarantee it would improve your experience one bit. Again, my own experience says it wont make that much difference. Not with a quad core anyway. Only real advantage I can see it giving you, is the ability to overclock the CPU a little.

Thank you for the advice but I will spend extra money for the newer chipset on the asus z97. I could buy a better 970 chipset mobo and overclock a little bit but the fx chip has dissapointed me enough, it's just not for me, as it does not run at stable 60 fps, but im sure for others 60 with a few bumps is good for ~$100 or so it is in Australia (where I live). I will be getting the 4690k and my new mobo soon so I hope it goes well, I've said i'll post if it goes well, so i'll let you know to, thanks! :D

@   Only had time to run the in game benchmark, so I know it isnt much.

Ignore the audio, youtube been its usual awesome self.

@   Only had time to run the in game benchmark, so I know it isnt much.

Ignore the audio, youtube been its usual awesome self.

the ingame benchmark doesnt really stress the cpu enough, which is odd, it was ingame where I started lagging during fighting scenes, which the benchmark stupidly has none of. I'm pretty sure my benchmark was similar.

jlQSZYy.jpg

still waiting on mobo

@   Glad you got your new parts on the way, should be a solid build with that CPU. What motherboard did you get again?

Also, as you said it was the fighting in Arkham you was having issues with; I decided to go back and do some testing again. On my end, everything seemed to be ok. For the most part I was running around 80 to 90 fps, with drops down to the 60's if there was a lot going on in game that is. In the areas of the game like in the benchmark, I was still hitting above 100fps in a lot of places.

@   Glad you got your new parts on the way, should be a solid build with that CPU. What motherboard did you get again?

Also, as you said it was the fighting in Arkham you was having issues with; I decided to go back and do some testing again. On my end, everything seemed to be ok. For the most part I was running around 80 to 90 fps, with drops down to the 60's if there was a lot going on in game that is. In the areas of the game like in the benchmark, I was still hitting above 100fps in a lot of places.

ok thank you but you should enable vsync too because sometimes when you have vsync off it still looks like 40-50 even if its at 100 or so, or at least in some games (and i play with vsync usually)

@ I usuallly do run with v-sync on, but for the purpose of doing this I turned it off so you could see how easy it is to run this game.

@ I usuallly do run with v-sync on, but for the purpose of doing this I turned it off so you could see how easy it is to run this game.

hmm, weird. when u have vsync on does it drop for you?

Nope, runs solid at 60fps

ok thank you for the details, I have some other games i think might  be bottlenecked by the cpu but we'll find out soon when my mobo arrrives :D

ok thank you for the details, I have some other games i think might  be bottlenecked by the cpu but we'll find out soon when my mobo arrrives :D

the R9 270X GPU and FX-4300 is a good combo for 1080p medium settings in most games your new motherboard should allow you to overclock that CPU substantialy and eleminate nearly any cpu limitations you might encounter IMHO.

What motherboard have you ordered? is it good?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Then there's me. "Your G3258 must be holding you back SO much in almost every game you play!" The worst I've observed out of my most frequently played games is Far Cry 3 pinning my CPU to the wall and my 7950 hovering anywhere from 80-90% utilization. :mellow:

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Then there's me. "Your G3258 must be holding you back SO much in almost every game you play!" The worst I've observed out of my most frequently played games is Far Cry 3 pinning my CPU to the wall and my 7950 hovering anywhere from 80-90% utilization. :mellow:

try the games i tried maybe if you wan't to fully exploit your CPU...it is pinned throughout the video man...good music too! :

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

try the games i tried maybe if you wan't to fully exploit your CPU...it is pinned throughout the video man...good music too! :

Isn't that Crysis 2?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Isn't that Crysis 2?

no it's crysis 3...40% GPU load average on ultra.

Games tested are in this order:

Battelefield 4

dead rising 3

watchdogs

Crysis 3

Farcry 3

metro last light

no it's crysis 3...40% GPU load average on ultra.

Games tested are in this order:

Battelefield 4

dead rising 3

watchdogs

Crysis 3

Farcry 3

metro last light

Oh. From the YouTube snapshot I couldn't tell. :P

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Oh. From the YouTube snapshot I couldn't tell. :P

well if you want to see how your CPU would perform with a GTX780 on maxed settings in those games...take a listen!