Hard Drive won't work after new PSU!

Wesley219

I just got a new PSU, a EVGA supernova 750 watt. After a installed it, the hard drive won't spin up. The SSD works, and I have switched, unplugged, and replugged all the sata power cables. I I'm stumped, please help!

How do you know it wont spin up?

Does it now show up in bios or windows?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I just got a new PSU, a EVGA supernova 750 watt. After a installed it, the hard drive won't spin up. The SSD works, and I have switched, unplugged, and replugged all the sata power cables. I I'm stumped, please help!

can you test the HDD on another PC?

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

How do you know it wont spin up?

Does it now show up in bios or windows?

It won't show up in bios or windows

can you test the HDD on another PC?

Nope, it's the only pc in the house.

Nope, it's the only pc in the house.

bring the HDD to your buddy house and test on his PC

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

bring the HDD to your buddy house and test on his PC

I just don't get how it was working the day before, and suddenly stopped after new PSU. It's only 6 months old

I just don't get how it was working the day before, and suddenly stopped after new PSU. It's only 6 months old

did you check the HDD physically for any damage?

i have a sinking feeling you plug the SATA power cable to the wrong port on the PSU

did you check the HDD physically for any damage?

i have a sinking feeling you plug the SATA power cable to the wrong port on the PSU

There is no visible damage. I plugged it into the one the said SATA

There is no visible damage. I plugged it into the one the said SATA

ok at least that is ok

so you are left with the testing the HDD on another working PC

Oh. Also my h100i that runs off of SATA power wouldn't work until I switched the SATA power cable.

New cables maybe if you can. dead connection ports happen to often for me.. I always run modular PSUs if i can

I just felt like I needed somthing here

New cables maybe if you can. dead connection ports happen to often for me.. I always run modular PSUs if i can

It's a modular PSU. I have tried 3 different SATA power cables

Do you guys think it's dead?

try testing if it spins up. the way you test is by listening to the drive when the system is powered on. hold the drive to your ear. if you hear a constant hum, then the platters should be spinning. if you hear nothing then there could be something wrong with the sata power cable or the drive is dead

CPU: AMD FX8350 @4.4GHz | MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0, 990FX chipset | RAM: 16GB (4x4) dual channel Patriot Xtreme series DDR3 @1866MHz @1.65V | GPU: Asus Radeon R9 Fury Strix| PSU: Corsair AX860i 860 watt | CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S + additional Noctua NF-F12 | Case:Corsair C70 Black | Storage: 3x 128GB Samsung 840 pro SSDs; 1 for the OS, 2 in RAID 0 for games. 3x WD Red 3TB HDDs in raid 5 for bulk storage | Displays: 1x Dell 3007WFP 30 inch 2560x1600 IPS LCD. 1x I-Inc IH253DPB 25 inch 1920x1080 TN LCD | Keyboard: Corsair K70 with Cherry MX brown switches + Blue LED backlight | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro | Mouse: Logitech G600 @1100 DPI | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit | 

Mfg/model number: Clevo/W355SSQ | CPU: Intel i7 4710MQ @3.5GHz  | MOBO: W35xSS_370SS, HM87 Chipset | RAM: 16GB (2x8) dual channel Crucial Ballistix DDR3 @1866MHz | GPU: GTX860m 2GB Gddr5 | Battery: 76,960mW/h 8 Cell battery, 3 Hrs full on a full charge | Storage: 1x 128GB Samsung 840 pro SSD for the OS. 1x WD Red 1TB HDD For storage and games | Displays: 1x 15.6" 1080p LCD | Keyboard: Full 103 key back-lit keyboard | Mouse: Logitech M510 | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit |

try testing if it spins up. the way you test is by listening to the drive when the system is powered on. hold the drive to your ear. if you hear a constant hum, then the platters should be spinning. if you hear nothing then there could be something wrong with the sata power cable or the drive is dead

Yeah, I have tried 4 different sata power cables, so I think it's dead

Your sure the thing is plugged into the power supply right? Cause I made the mistake and all along the sata power cable wasnt connect to the psu. Also it maynot have enough watts to sustain the entire system. Also try plugging the sata power cable into different sata power headings on the psu because there are multiple headings so the one you are using maybe a faulty heading. Those plug in spots switch between them.

500x1000px-LL-24e89929_CA-025-SS_58706_3