Intel fan boy going AMD

Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

I'd assume you'd be going with the FX series, which as far as I know are all unlocked. 

AMD has really fallen back on the high end CPU market though. Even their top of the line FX CPUs are behind some of Intel's mid-high range CPUs. For games at least. 

I am intel fan boy, tracking all the latest and greatest of intel and so on. Now the question iz: I know on intel Z77 Z87 and Z97 are overclockable with K processor in them, what are the marks on AMD side of things? Do they have some lettering I need to pay attention, or are all of processor and mobo overclock ready?

CPU: i5 4460 3.20Ghz GPU: MSI GTX750 1GB OC MB: Asus B85M-E RAM: Kingston HiperX 4GB 1600Mhz (2x) PSU: Cooler Master 500W B-series HDD: WD Blue 500GB + 250 WD Case: Raidmax Super Viper

http://cdn0.dailydot.com/uploaded/images/original/2014/11/27/SW1.gif

Black editions, mostly all of the FX line are unlocked..

But don't go for AMD if you already have Intel HW honestly

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

May I ask why you are going AMD?

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

What reason would one have to do this?

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I am intel fan boy, tracking all the latest and greatest of intel and so on. Now the question iz: I know on intel Z77 Z87 and Z97 are overclockable with K processor in them, what are the marks on AMD side of things? Do they have some lettering I need to pay attention, or are all of processor and mobo overclock ready?

So you are downgrading?

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I'd assume you'd be going with the FX series, which as far as I know are all unlocked. 

AMD has really fallen back on the high end CPU market though. Even their top of the line FX CPUs are behind some of Intel's mid-high range CPUs. For games at least. 

My personal PC is Intel, as you can see in the signature, I need cheaper AMD machines for office and work :) As personal option I will never go red :D

CPU: i5 4460 3.20Ghz GPU: MSI GTX750 1GB OC MB: Asus B85M-E RAM: Kingston HiperX 4GB 1600Mhz (2x) PSU: Cooler Master 500W B-series HDD: WD Blue 500GB + 250 WD Case: Raidmax Super Viper

http://cdn0.dailydot.com/uploaded/images/original/2014/11/27/SW1.gif

Pretty much all of the FX are overclockable, unless I missed something. Only Athlons with K and older ones "Black Editions" are overclockable.

My personal PC is Intel, as you can see in the signature, I need cheaper AMD machines for office and work :) As personal option I will never go red :D

all FX and most athlons can be overclocked, not sure about APUs

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What kind of work?

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

since you ask about overcloking than amd is not that cheap. you need beefy motherboards.and why would you overclock an office pc?

AMD is only worth it when buying the cheap AM1 4 core CPUs for a work ( typing documents, some BASIC editing of pictures and videos, watching 4K content) PC or as a small server.

For gaming, it is a BIG BIG downgrade (i'd know, i used to own an 8350 @ 5.1ghz).

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

For work an office grab an I3 or Pentium

My g3220 pentium in my home server and in my pc at work are perfectly capable CPUs and cost very little, sure AMD have some bang for buck CPUs but I see no reason you HAVEEEE to go AMD

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

It really depends on what kind of work. I like to know why you would need an overclocker anyways. How about an intel pentium anniversary edition?

The AMD is competitive in a value comparison, but depending on your needs and at a low enough price point there wont be enough difference for you to jump ship.

Also its not wise for a fanboy to go with a competitor, it will only be a let down regardless of performance.

AMD/Intel - Any Dualcore + 4GB DDR3 + SSD + iGPU = Superfluent Office tasks

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

If you're not gaming or rendering, going with the Athlon 860k probably wouldn't be a bad choice. Think those would be better than Intel's Pentiums, but I believe you'd need a video card. Sooooooo...

For normal office work, a cheaper APU probably wouldn't be too bad. Add an SSD. There are only small form factor motherboards for the FM2+ socket anyways.

all FX and most athlons can be overclocked, not sure about APUs

K-SKU APUs are overclockable even on non overclocking boards (mobo vendor dependent)...

what i can only think of AMD chips for office work and sneaky gaming will be A10-7850K + 2133MHz RAMs

all hidden in a office looking slim PC chassis

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

And any mobo on FX cpu whill be overclockable?

No, quite the contrary. Because FX CPUs are so inefficient and power hungry, they require high end motherboards to even function properly at stock speeds without throttling. If you want to overclock, you are looking at even higher end mobos with aftermarket cooling. You can probably outfit your office with locked i5s for less. Depending on the type of work being done, I would go for an i3 without knowing more.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

No, quite the contrary. Because FX CPUs are so inefficient and power hungry, they require high end motherboards to even function properly at stock speeds without throttling. If you want to overclock, you are looking at even higher end mobos with aftermarket cooling. You can probably outfit your office with locked i5s for less. Depending on the type of work being done, I would go for an i3 without knowing more.

I don't recall my 8320 ever throttling with the stock cooler at stock

But it does run hot as hell when it's overclocked. Why would you overclock an office PC is pretty beyond me. FM2 platform sounds more optimal

I don't recall my 8320 ever throttling with the stock cooler at stock

But it does run hot as hell when it's overclocked. Why would you overclock an office PC is pretty beyond me. FM2 platform sounds more optimal

The motherboard will cause the throttling. It doesn't happen to everyone, but happens to a lot of people. A lot of times, FX users buy a low end 970 thinking it will work just fine, only having to buy a new motherboard shortly after because the VRMs are throttling.

The processor itself overheating and throttling can happen as well, but the VRMs are the main concern on these low end mobos.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

The motherboard will cause the throttling. It doesn't happen to everyone, but happens to a lot of people. A lot of times, FX users buy a low end 970 thinking it will work just fine, only having to buy a new motherboard shortly after because the VRMs are throttling.

Oh yeah ofc, it would be stupid to run FX-8XXX and up without an 990FX chipset and a 8+2 Power design. ESPECIALLY if you're overclocking. Anything less on such a high TDP CPU and you're asking for trouble.

Oh yeah ofc, it would be stupid to run FX-8XXX and up without an 990FX chipset and a 8+2 Power design. ESPECIALLY if you're overclocking. Anything less on such a high TDP CPU and you're asking for trouble.

actually APU also have the similar issue

the lower end FM2+ boards do not have heatsinks on the VRM

the A10-7850k on the A58 boards will also throttle

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.