BEST HDD that make no sound?

Mads-Ejnar
Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

Hey out there.

I will like to have great HDD for my Shadowplay and video editing.

I need only 1 drive with 1-2 TB space on it. And i like it to be really fast, but i hate the HDD sound when they are working.

I know WD black is fast but is also really loud and i dont like that.

I dont thing SSHD will help me that my file size is around 3-5GB and working with alot of files at the same time.

So do one of you know a great drive that is fast and is really silent when is working? Price 0$-150$. :)

Hey Mads-Ejnar,

What the guys pointed out is pretty good. The faster a drive is, the louder it tends to be. Your best bet is to get a SSD (if you can afford a suitable size that you need). SSHDs are also an option but since tehy also have a spinning platter, they tend to be pretty much as loud as a regular HDD.

So in terms of regular HDDs, I would look for a NAS/RAID class drive, an energy-saving drive or a recording-oriented drive. These three types of drives tend to make the least noise and still have good read/write speeds. 

The guys here already mentioned WD Purple, WD Red and WD Green as well as WD Blue. Here are a couple of words on each:

WD Blue is an everyday drive that works good, not too loud and is rather fast.
WD Red is a NAS/RAID class drive that works pretty quiet and still has a good transfer speed.
WD Green is very good in terms of energy efficiency and quietness, but tends to b a bit slower, compared to the others.
WD Purple is a drive designed for surveillance and thus works really quiet, but it never spins down and has a rather slow random read/write speed (while the sequential read/write speed is great).
WD Black, as you know, is a performance drive which is fast but loud. 
WD Red Pro is again a NAS/RAID class drive which also works quiet but spins at 7,200 rpm and has longer warranty, compared to the regular WD Red.

Out of all those drives, WD Green, WD Purple and WD Red are the quietest, having 21 dBA during idle (1TB version of the drives). During seeking times, WD Purple is the quietest of all with 22 dBA together with WD Red with also 22 dBA and WD Green is with 24 dBA. 

If you need more info, you can check their spreadsheets on the website http://www.wdc.com/en/%C2'> simply ask me :)

Thanks @ShadowCaptain for the good words. We simply try to advise people and provide as much information as possible. It is only natural that we offer WD products as solutions since we work for Western Digital. It is up to the user if they would go with the product or chose a different one. We simply give an option. :)

Hope this helps,

Captain_WD.

Hey out there.

I need only 1 drive with 1-2 TB space on it. And i like it to be really fast, but i hate the HDD sound when they are working.

I dont thing SSHD will help me that my file size is around 3-5GB and working with alot of files at the same time.

So do one of you know a great drive that is fast and is really silent when is working? Price 0$-150$. :)

You sir, have a wonderful day ?  | Sorry for my bad dyslexia English  :(

Spoiler

Gaming PC - MB: MSI MEG X570 GODLIKE - CPU: AMD 3950X - RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3733 C17 DC - 32GB - GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti ROG STRIX OC - 11GB GDDR6 - Soundcard: Creative Sound Blaster ZXR - Headset: Sennheiser PC350SE - PSU: Corsair AX860i - SSD: Samsung 980PRO 1TB - SSD: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB

HTPC - MB: MSI B450M MORTAR - CPU: AMD 2400G - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 3200MHz 32GB - GPU: AMD 2400G - PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium Fanless 600W - SSD: Samsung EVO 120GB - HDD: 7x 3TB WD RED in raid 6 - Raid controller: MEGARAID LSI 9361-8I

its impossible for it so be silent....get a cheap 60gb/128gb SSD? and copy it to a hard drive after recording

or get a WD blue or something

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Well its either silent or fast with HDDs . Lower rpm(5400-5900) means more silent but slower. 7200rpm drives are faster but louder.

its impossible for it so be silent....get a cheap 60gb/128gb SSD? and copy it to a hard drive after recording

or get a WD blue or something

I know it will never be 100% silent. 

And 128GB SSD will not work. the files im working on right now is total 300GB :/

But there must be some HDD out the that do not have that clicking sound when working. 

I have WD red in my HTPC and i cannot hear them. But they not that fast :/

Spoiler

Gaming PC - MB: MSI MEG X570 GODLIKE - CPU: AMD 3950X - RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3733 C17 DC - 32GB - GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti ROG STRIX OC - 11GB GDDR6 - Soundcard: Creative Sound Blaster ZXR - Headset: Sennheiser PC350SE - PSU: Corsair AX860i - SSD: Samsung 980PRO 1TB - SSD: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB

HTPC - MB: MSI B450M MORTAR - CPU: AMD 2400G - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 3200MHz 32GB - GPU: AMD 2400G - PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium Fanless 600W - SSD: Samsung EVO 120GB - HDD: 7x 3TB WD RED in raid 6 - Raid controller: MEGARAID LSI 9361-8I

Well its either silent or fast with HDDs . Lower rpm(5400-5900) means more silent but slower. 7200rpm drives are faster but louder.

Now im sad :(

Spoiler

I know it will never be 100% silent. 

And 128GB SSD will not work. the files im working on right now is total 300GB :/

But there must be some HDD out the that do not have that clicking sound when working. 

I have WD red in my HTPC and i cannot hear them. But they not that fast :/

no what I meant was, use the SSD for shadowplay, and copy it to your normal hard drive for editing

or get a 1gb SSD or something (not in your budget I know)

Unfortunately hard drives will always make noises, my WD Green is pretty quiet but also not the fastest drive, 

Something mechanical will always make noise

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

WD Purple and Blues have a lower decibel rating than that of the WD blues (22dB vs 34dB) but you will still hear noise from them. If you want a truly silent storage device you will need to get an SSD (which are bloody expensive for 1TB) or a small SSD and set up a file server in another room, but that is also an expensive solution. :D

Our father, who AWPs in heaven, CS be thy game. Uncase begun, them skins be won, covert - and not mil-spec. Give us this day a StatTrak Knife, and forgive us when we rage quit, as we forgive those who aimbot against us, and lead us not into scamnation but undeliverus a battlescared. GabeN

no what I meant was, use the SSD for shadowplay, and copy it to your normal hard drive for editing

or get a 1gb SSD or something (not in your budget I know)

Unfortunately hard drives will always make noises, my WD Green is pretty quiet but also not the fastest drive, 

Something mechanical will always make noise

I was looking on a 500GB-1TB SDD, but that will not happen any time soon for me sadly :/

WD Purple and Blues have a lower decibel rating than that of the WD blues (22dB vs 34dB) but you will still hear noise from them. If you want a truly silent storage device you will need to get an SSD (which are bloody expensive for 1TB) or a small SSD and set up a file server in another room, but that is also an expensive solution. :D

WD Purple is for Surveillance, But is that not the same as shadowplay almost? Big files alot of write and right?

I will take a look on it and thanks :)

Spoiler

Awww snap, a WD Affiliate guy is reading this thread... I have this feeling he's going to recommend a Western Digital drive :D

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

Awww snap, a WD Affiliate guy is reading this thread... I have this feeling he's going to recommend a Western Digital drive :D

actually the WD guys so far have been really none bias, they often mention WD but will happily discuss competitors (at least in my experience) they are industry affiliates not paid product placement

@Mads-Ejnar

Honestly I would recommend a good WD Red 7200rpm drive but seagate has their equivalent of this as well, I just don't know the name.

The WD Red I know of and I can guarantee that it's a good drive

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

I was looking on a 500GB-1TB SDD, but that will not happen any time soon for me sadly :/

WD Purple is for Surveillance, But is that not the same as shadowplay almost? Big files alot of write and right?

I will take a look on it and thanks :)

Reds would be better for shadowplay. Purples are basically differently optimized Reds but for many streams. I personally use 3TB Reds because they're the most consistently quiet drives I've found that aren't stupid expensive. 

@Mads-Ejnar

Honestly I would recommend a good WD Red 7200rpm drive but seagate has their equivalent of this as well, I just don't know the name.

The WD Red I know of and I can guarantee that it's a good drive

Red Pros aren't as quiet as normal Reds.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Hey out there.

Hey Mads-Ejnar,

What the guys pointed out is pretty good. The faster a drive is, the louder it tends to be. Your best bet is to get a SSD (if you can afford a suitable size that you need). SSHDs are also an option but since tehy also have a spinning platter, they tend to be pretty much as loud as a regular HDD.

So in terms of regular HDDs, I would look for a NAS/RAID class drive, an energy-saving drive or a recording-oriented drive. These three types of drives tend to make the least noise and still have good read/write speeds. 

The guys here already mentioned WD Purple, WD Red and WD Green as well as WD Blue. Here are a couple of words on each:

WD Blue is an everyday drive that works good, not too loud and is rather fast.
WD Red is a NAS/RAID class drive that works pretty quiet and still has a good transfer speed.
WD Green is very good in terms of energy efficiency and quietness, but tends to b a bit slower, compared to the others.
WD Purple is a drive designed for surveillance and thus works really quiet, but it never spins down and has a rather slow random read/write speed (while the sequential read/write speed is great).
WD Black, as you know, is a performance drive which is fast but loud. 
WD Red Pro is again a NAS/RAID class drive which also works quiet but spins at 7,200 rpm and has longer warranty, compared to the regular WD Red.

Out of all those drives, WD Green, WD Purple and WD Red are the quietest, having 21 dBA during idle (1TB version of the drives). During seeking times, WD Purple is the quietest of all with 22 dBA together with WD Red with also 22 dBA and WD Green is with 24 dBA. 

If you need more info, you can check their spreadsheets on the website http://www.wdc.com/en/%C2'> simply ask me :)

Thanks @ShadowCaptain for the good words. We simply try to advise people and provide as much information as possible. It is only natural that we offer WD products as solutions since we work for Western Digital. It is up to the user if they would go with the product or chose a different one. We simply give an option. :)

Hope this helps,

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

wd green

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

Hey thanks all of you :D

I have WD RED in my HTPC and i never hear them. So i thing i will take one more of those and but in my gaming pc :)

Spoiler

Why not use a Seagate Barracuda? Those are pretty much quiet for a 7200RPM drive. Since everybody's recommending WD, I decided to be different. :D

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D