Which of these SSDs? Or something better?

STRMfrmXMN
Go to solution Solved by KayTees,

Budget is 80 bucks in Amazon gift cards. That's the start.

I've been looking to get a new SSD as the ancient Samsung one in my laptop just died today. Been looking at the surprisingly cheap Hyper X Fury and the Crucial MX100. My budget does go to 80 bucks so I have a bit of room to spare if you have any better suggestions for 120-ish GB drives.

Of the basic benchmarks it seems like the Crucial one is where it's at. Should I say case closed and buy the MX100 or should something else (remember, $80) be bought instead?

EDIT: This is going into a cheap laptop with horrible battery life that will be used for basic tasks - web browsing and office stuff. Using Windows 8.1.

Sure the MX100 has 8GB more but numbers man!

http://ssdboss.com/ssds/Samsung-840-EVO-120-GB-SATA-III-vs-Crucial-MX100-128-GB-SATA-III

98b2ddc8486d784433e9b14bcc2f837c.png

I've been looking to get a new SSD as the ancient Samsung one in my laptop just died today. Been looking at the surprisingly cheap Hyper X Fury and the Crucial MX100. My budget does go to 80 bucks so I have a bit of room to spare if you have any better suggestions for 120-ish GB drives.

Of the basic benchmarks it seems like the Crucial one is where it's at. Should I say case closed and buy the MX100 or should something else (remember, $80) be bought instead?

EDIT: This is going into a cheap laptop with horrible battery life that will be used for basic tasks - web browsing and office stuff. Using Windows 8.1.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

840 EVO 120GB 

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-120GB-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-7TE120BW/dp/B00E3W15P0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1420609294&sr=8-4&keywords=840+Evo

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

I think the MX100 is the way to go

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Somehow that didn't pop up in time... I'll be ordering it tomorrow as it's getting late now but wow that got cheap fast.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

i would go for a 256gb 850 evo or mx100 since double the capacity isnt that much more expensive.

Budget is $80 because that's what I have...

I have only had good experiences with Crucial and have used them in many builds, so my vote is for them if they are within your range. Samsung 840/850s are excellent though too. 

I have only had good experiences with Crucial and have used them in many builds, so my vote is for them if they are within your range. Samsung 840/850s are excellent though too. 

I think the MX100 is the way to go

i would go for a 256gb 850 evo or mx100 since double the capacity isnt that much more expensive.

Would like to point out to all that this is going in a cheap laptop where the read speeds are ten times more important than the writes because all it does is web browse and Google Docs/Libre Office stuff. Just a small point I'd like to make if that matters any.

My laptop's battery is sh*t BTW so higher power draw from an SSD is a no-no.

I have a HyperX Fury so I guess I'll vote for that one lol

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

840 evo

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Sure the MX100 has 8GB more but numbers man!

http://ssdboss.com/ssds/Samsung-840-EVO-120-GB-SATA-III-vs-Crucial-MX100-128-GB-SATA-III

98b2ddc8486d784433e9b14bcc2f837c.png

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

if it's the same price or less when I order it then it will, uh, well, be ordered.

Thanks all!

if it's the same price or less when I order it then it will, uh, well, be ordered.

Thanks all!

Trust me, the 840 is so fucking worth it. Look at those random read times! 70% and 30% faster!

Main Rig

XENON Build:  

Office Build:

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

Hey STRMfrmXMN,

Since you are using the laptop only for simple things like web surfing, MS Office and other, you wouldn't notice any difference between the different SSDs. all of them will work very fast, you will have the same amount of storage, give or take a few GBs and you won't notice any noise or heat from them. The difference in the numbers in the read/write speeds and the other statistics shouldn't matter for what you are going to use it for. I would simply get the better deal. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/