Want to upgrade my current headphones, need some advice/recomendations!

Hi guys, as the title says, I am thinking about upgrading my listening experience with a new pair of headphones along with a good sound card/dac/amp. Currently I am using Sennheiser HD 439 plugged into my PC's motherboard which has Realtek ALC892 chip in it. I am using this headphone for the last 2-3 years (!!) but the motherboard is fairly new. I am very happy with the sound quality of the headphone and its comfort level. I have speakers but I hardly use them, let's say, may be just 5 times a month! So, I am completely a headphone person. I use them for about 4-6 hours a day on weekdays and over 16 hours on weekends. I play games everyday but love music and movies too. I don't take my headphones out of home so I don't need portability. I wear spectacles, so too tight headphones are not welcome to me! I live in India where weather is generally on the hot/warm side, therefore I usually avoid leather/pleather type of cushions because they become very hot, humid and uncomfortable sooner than I want! That's why I went for HD 439 over HD 449 on the first place as 439 has cloth/valor (??) padding while 449 doesn't. I never used any dac/amp so I have no idea how much they can improve my listening experience! Kindly note that in India brands like Schiit are not available, even not all products from FiiO are available!

Now I am thinking about getting a new pair of headphones as well as a good sound card/dac/amp to boost my experience. I have spend some time reading/watch reviews etc. on several headphones, sound cards/dac/amp and finally came up with (after considering current Indian online/offline market and price) 4 headphones/headset that I might like!

1. Sennheiser HD 558 Price (Approx.) : Rs. 10,268 / $162.15

2. Audio Technica ATH-M50X Price (Approx.) : Rs. 10,124 / $159.87

3. Beyer Dynamic DT 770 PRO (80 Ohm Version) Price (Approx.) : Rs. 14,990 / $236.715

4. Sennheiser G4ME One (Just because I play games!) Price (Approx.) : Rs. 16,499 / $260.54

As for sound card, I like

1. Asus Xonar Essence STX Price (Approx.) : Rs. 9,650 / $152.39 Official Link: http://www.asus.com/Essence_HiFi_Audio/Xonar_Essence_STX/

2. Asus Xonar U7 Price (Approx.) : Rs. 5,899 / $93.15 Official Link: http://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_U7/

3. Creative Sound Blaster Omni Price (Approx.) : Rs. 6,194 / $97.81 Official Link: http://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-omni-surround-5-1

I have included the sound cards just because I heard/read/watch that all of them have pretty descent DAC as well as good AMP. Adding their official spec page link as well, please take a look, if you want!

For Dac/Amp I can only find

Fiio E10K Price (Approx.) : Rs. 8,090 / $127.75 even if it's not widely available!

Now can you help me choose?

NOTES:

1. I like my Sennheiser HD 439 very much for all possible reason!

2. I am from India so I like Bollywood music, Rabindra Sangeet (i.e. Tegore Songs), Rihanna, Enrique Iglesias, Guiters etc. (But I don't mind listening to any kind of good music except Opera)

3. I watch many movies.

4. I play games very seriously!

5. India is hot and humid.

6. I wear spectacles, so comfort will be a big issue.

7. I will not spend huge amount of money any time soon after buying these because these things are pretty darn expensive in India man!

8. I love HD 439 but don't have any Idea if I will like open headphones like HD 558 or closed one like ATH-M50X.

9. I don't have a place to live demo these headphones from where I live :(

10. I will not take out my headphones out of my home.

11. Budget around $200 for headphones and $100-$150 for sound card!

Thanks for your help and time, if you need any more information, feel free to ask. Happy listening guys ;)

Don't buy a sound card please.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

you dont need a soundcard, just get a DAC.

No AKG's?

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

First off, avoid the M50x. You didn't post relative pricing, but generally it is overpriced compared to other options, in addition to being fairly uncomfortable and a poor choice for gaming.

Of those that you listed the HD558 will sound the most different - more neutral sound, less boosted bass and more balanced treble. If you want to stick with closed, go with the DT770. Avoid the headset unless it is much cheaper and you can't get a separate microphone.

Don't get a sound card. You probably won't need one and the high output impedance will interact unfavorably with all the headphones you listed.

I love my Beyerdynamics mmx300 for my PC, great audio and an insanely amazing mic

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I'd say DT770 (80 ohm) or DT990 (250 ohm) + FiiO E10K / Schiit Fulla (if you want amp / dac)

and.... I saw 2 votes on M50X, have these people actually used anything other than "the best M50X"

Schiit ships internationally, so try to get a shipment cost from them

Unless you need 5.1-7.1 outputs, I would definitely avoid sound cards. They are overpriced DACs with inferior amplification. Consider ODAC+O2, or a DAC/AMP from Fiio if the budget is tighter.

As far as headphones are concerned, I'm a fan of Sennheiser's signature with their higher-end models, but I've never tried a 558 myself. The M50s are not the most clinical and so will probably not improve your experience unless you just play loud music over your games all of the time. I've heard good things about the G4ME series of headsets, and if you truly need a headset, they're the way I would probably go, but  they're priced higher than the combined value of their components, like all headsets.

You should have included "other" in both votes.

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

Sorry for the late reply guys (different timezone and such) :D I am very happy to see that so many people are actually trying to express their thoughts and helping me, thank you very much guys, really appreciate it. :wub:

Don't buy a sound card please.

Ya, I know what you mean by that but I also heard that these are some pretty good one! I have edited my opening post with more details and also added some links to the official pages of the products (Sound cards only), please take a look and let me know what you think! :ph34r:

you dont need a soundcard, just get a DAC.

No AKG's?

Sorry AKG's are not available here :angry:

First off, avoid the M50x. You didn't post relative pricing, but generally it is overpriced compared to other options, in addition to being fairly uncomfortable and a poor choice for gaming.

Of those that you listed the HD558 will sound the most different - more neutral sound, less boosted bass and more balanced treble. If you want to stick with closed, go with the DT770. Avoid the headset unless it is much cheaper and you can't get a separate microphone.

Don't get a sound card. You probably won't need one and the high output impedance will interact unfavorably with all the headphones you listed.

Ya M50X is already out of my list, just added those because I have heard/read/watch so many good reviews about them! Anyway I am leaning more towards HD 558 and DT-770 Pro. Just wanna know that, after using HD 439 which will suit me best, as I loved HD 439 very much! :wub:

I love my Beyerdynamics mmx300 for my PC, great audio and an insanely amazing mic

Over my budget mate (Rs. 31,999 / $505.154)! :o

I'd say DT770 (80 ohm) or DT990 (250 ohm) + FiiO E10K / Schiit Fulla (if you want amp / dac)

and.... I saw 2 votes on M50X, have these people actually used anything other than "the best M50X"

Schiit ships internationally, so try to get a shipment cost from them

After checking Schiit's international option, I understand that it will cost me pretty high. Even if I choose to buy Fulla it will cost me base price of $79 and $39.49 as shipping cost. So, The unit will cost me total of $118.49!! <_<

Unless you need 5.1-7.1 outputs, I would definitely avoid sound cards. They are overpriced DACs with inferior amplification. Consider ODAC+O2, or a DAC/AMP from Fiio if the budget is tighter.

As far as headphones are concerned, I'm a fan of Sennheiser's signature with their higher-end models, but I've never tried a 558 myself. The M50s are not the most clinical and so will probably not improve your experience unless you just play loud music over your games all of the time. I've heard good things about the G4ME series of headsets, and if you truly need a headset, they're the way I would probably go, but  they're priced higher than the combined value of their components, like all headsets.

Asus Xonar Essence STX a audiophile card as far as read, so it's a stereo based card I guess, please check the official link from my initial post. :)

You should have included "other" in both votes.

Hmmm okay will do that! ;)

Over my budget mate (Rs. 31,999 / $505.154)! :o

yeah not cheap but its not much more than the price of good headphones plus the fiio

but I understand :D

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

+1 to this. Might need the soundcard for extra amplifying of a 250 ohm DT770, but best to decide that after trying the headphones with your onboard.

+1 to this. Might need the soundcard for extra amplifying of a 250 ohm DT770, but best to decide that after trying the headphones with your onboard.

Ya good idea! :D

No sound card + Beyer 990s.

Open > Closed back (Obviously if you prefer closed then just get the 770s)

My Rig : Zotac 780 3GB, i5 4670k, H105, M1211 650W, 8GB 2133mhz vengence pro, Mini R2, 144Hz AOC Gsync Monitor

Accessories : K65, Naos 3200, Superlux 681, Chord CCU1

No sound card + Beyer 990s.

Open > Closed back (Obviously if you prefer closed then just get the 770s)

Okay, thanks for the suggestion! :)

get an external amp/dac over a sound card - they're just better

get an external amp/dac over a sound card - they're just better

Okay, thanks for the suggestion :)