[Poll] Google Project Ara: Forum Interest

WhatTheQuack

Hello LTT, I am considering a Google Ara phone to be my next phone (I currently have an iPhone 4s :() and I wanted to know how the community feels about this phone concept.

Personally I think it will be awesome, if Google can get more manufacturers to make modules for the Ara system. However I will be waiting for reviews before I commit to buying one.

My PC:

4670k      GTX 760 ACX      CoolerMaster Hyper 412s      Fractal Design Node 804      G1 Sniper M5      Corsair RM 650      WD Red 1TB     Samsung 840 Evo 120GB

The problem with Project Ara is that no one actually needs it. There are already all different kinds of phones on the market.

I once had one of these, now I've got this.

Where is the "I am not sure" option? I had to put "meh" which is not the same

I am of divided option, I love the concept, but ... will it really revolutionise the mobile space? for it to work it means there should only be ONE modular platform or that its interface method should be standardised 

Also the base platform should not be updated in the future rendering old parts incompatible (which could happen)

I am on the fence

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Uhh I am possibly interested.

It seems very cool, but I will probably be expensive at first.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

If it really works like they want to, with all those different moduls it will kick the other phones soooo depp in the balls that they will just stop making phones and start making those modules :D

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

I love the idea of ara, it's definitely the right way for the mobile market to move, however I'm skeptical if it will work initially, the amount of issues early models will have will probably be ridiculous, so I'd rather wait for the second or third generation of it before I jumped on getting one.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

The problem with Project Ara is that no one actually needs it. There are already all different kinds of phones on the market.

Where is the "I am not sure" option? I had to put "meh" which is not the same

I am of divided option, I love the concept, but ... will it really revolutionise the mobile space? for it to work it means there should only be ONE modular platform or that its interface method should be standardised 

Also the base platform should not be updated in the future rendering old parts incompatible (which could happen)

I am on the fence

Uhh I am possibly interested.

It seems very cool, but I will probably be expensive at first.

If it really works like they want to, with all those different moduls it will kick the other phones soooo depp in the balls that they will just stop making phones and start making those modules :D

I love the idea of ara, it's definitely the right way for the mobile market to move, however I'm skeptical if it will work initially, the amount of issues early models will have will probably be ridiculous, so I'd rather wait for the second or third generation of it before I jumped on getting one.

Awesome, thanks for your input guys!

I have decided that I will wait for reviews and see if Project Ara is for me, or whether I should wait for a second generation product.

Since Ara is supposedly being launched at the end of this year, do you think I should replace my iPhone 4s now? Or should I hold on to it until I know more about Ara?

My PC:

4670k      GTX 760 ACX      CoolerMaster Hyper 412s      Fractal Design Node 804      G1 Sniper M5      Corsair RM 650      WD Red 1TB     Samsung 840 Evo 120GB

Awesome, thanks for your input guys!

I have decided that I will wait for reviews and see if Project Ara is for me, or whether I should wait for a second generation product.

Since Ara is supposedly being launched at the end of this year, do you think I should replace my iPhone 4s now? Or should I hold on to it until I know more about Ara?

I think ARA will take time to develop, I think jumping in early will be a mistake, it will take time for modules to be developed and for traction to gain behind the idea

Honestly I would upgrade your phone now, the iPhone 4 is pretty terrible when compared with new phones you will find it a night and day experiance, either going for an iPhone 6 or a high end android handset (or windows) 

I think it will take at least 1 to 2 years until we see if the concept works

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I want to know how much individual modules will cost. I know that by the time you purchase the phone and get the modules it could end up being the cost comparable to that of a flagship device, but could you maybe get dummy modules if all you wanted was, say, a battery and 32 gb of storage?