Explanation on macbook vallue needed.

Carde

I always been a windows user from 3.11 to 7 atm, however about 6 months ago now I think I found 2 late 2006 Macbook pros in the recycle bin, curious as I was I took them with me knowing that the boyfriend of my sister was a mac user so I could test them to see if they worked (seeing no adapters where found and the 17 inch model's battery had gone kaboom).

Anyhow both units worked, though the 17 inch one had a single death pixel and the 15 inch one's screen had giant pressure marks making it unusable. Curious to the mac experience I spend 85 euros on an battery pack and adapter for the 17 inch one and used it for a few weeks before coming to the conclusion that it was not for me, I am attuned to windows and know its quirks and Mac os did not tempt me to learn its by offering killer stuff. So I put her up for sale and got to my amazement a 125 euros for it (for a 7.5 years old machine that was like wtfh to me).

Now fine that was a working unit with a brand new battery and adapter so perhaps value was there for some one. Now this 15 inch model looks like hell and its screen is well as I said bad, however I decided to make some pics and put it up for auction and currently already 44 euros is bid on it.

This just begs the question why do these things keep some value? I cannot think of a single windows laptop of 8 years old in this shape to keep any more value than comedy. Is it just parts that people hope to salvage or do macs have secret compartments filled with gold (sure is heavy enough)?

I sure am not complaining I mean even at the current bid I stand to make enough for nice bottle of single malt, but it just baffles me more than a little.

"Hope, what a concept." - Deunan Knute

macs just tend to keep their values for longer because they dont advance as much

the diffrence between a 8 year old windows laptop and a current one is alot bigger than the diffrence between two macs of those eras

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

its like Jeeps, it just holds its value. and because it holds its value, you have to pay more upfront, but afterwards, it will keep that value. 

and its just a cycle. someone will pay 125 euros because in a few years they will still get something close to that if they do sell it

My best guess would be Apple doesn't spam the computer market with hundreds of similar, crappy low spec plastic laptops like some manufacturers do.  Each apple PC represents a specific point in the company's design philosophy, and really becomes a very sought after device.  

macs just tend to keep their values for longer because they dont advance as much

disagree with you there. a brand new I7 is a brand new I7. doesnt matter if its in a mac or PC. so hardware wise, they are still advancing just as fast as PCs. the only thing they really lack is onboard graphics, but many games dont work on macs, so theres really no need. the gaming community will get mad at that, but its true. so what if it doesnt have a 870M or whatever in it. not like youd use it. but for professional work? they have the latest and greatest I7 in there. 

disagree with you there. a brand new I7 is a brand new I7. doesnt matter if its in a mac or PC. so hardware wise, they are still advancing just as fast as PCs. the only thing they really lack is onboard graphics, but many games dont work on macs, so theres really no need. the gaming community will get mad at that, but its true. so what if it doesnt have a 870M or whatever in it. not like youd use it. but for professional work? they have the latest and greatest I7 in there. 

(cough) gpu rendering (cough)

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Don't question iy and go get that nice bottle of scotch! :) RichardsD is on to something though. Even if it's old and hardly functional it's still a Mac, and to some people I guess that means something. For the right price I sure as hell would pick up an old Apple computer as well (although I would probably go for the 20-30 year old ones instead), but only if they were in good condition.

There are plenty of Macs with decent discrete GPUs.

Your a video editor, can you please shine some light on gpu rendering please? I have a 7950 and a 7970, and thought id be able to utilize them to render quicker. from my quick research, all i could find was it speeds of ray tracing or something like that. and the rest is CPU based. thats what that statment was based on. thanks!

I always been a windows user from 3.11 to 7 atm, however about 6 months ago now I think I found 2 late 2006 Macbook pros in the recycle bin, curious as I was I took them with me knowing that the boyfriend of my sister was a mac user so I could test them to see if they worked (seeing no adapters where found and the 17 inch model's battery had gone kaboom).

Anyhow both units worked, though the 17 inch one had a single death pixel and the 15 inch one's screen had giant pressure marks making it unusable. Curious to the mac experience I spend 85 euros on an battery pack and adapter for the 17 inch one and used it for a few weeks before coming to the conclusion that it was not for me, I am attuned to windows and know its quirks and Mac os did not tempt me to learn its by offering killer stuff. So I put her up for sale and got to my amazement a 125 euros for it (for a 7.5 years old machine that was like wtfh to me).

Now fine that was a working unit with a brand new battery and adapter so perhaps value was there for some one. Now this 15 inch model looks like hell and its screen is well as I said bad, however I decided to make some pics and put it up for auction and currently already 44 euros is bid on it.

This just begs the question why do these things keep some value? I cannot think of a single windows laptop of 8 years old in this shape to keep any more value than comedy. Is it just parts that people hope to salvage or do macs have secret compartments filled with gold (sure is heavy enough)?

I sure am not complaining I mean even at the current bid I stand to make enough for nice bottle of single malt, but it just baffles me more than a little.

Because their OS is made to work with the hardware so well that it runs great, even on older machines. You get the same experience on older machines as you do on newer ones.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

Your a video editor, can you please shine some light on gpu rendering please? I have a 7950 and a 7970, and thought id be able to utilize them to render quicker. from my quick research, all i could find was it speeds of ray tracing or something like that. and the rest is CPU based. thats what that statment was based on. thanks!

if your talking about the adobe suite openCL really accelerates rendering (you have to render in media encoder though) I dont know all the details though but it is faster. as for 3D stuff it sadly isnt well optimised

if your talking about the adobe suite openCL really accelerates rendering (you have to render in media encoder though) I dont know all the details though but it is faster. as for 3D stuff it sadly isnt well optimised

okay thanks. My buddy has a i7 macbook pro, trying to sell him my gaming rig, and for him to really buy it need to show its a actual investment for his videoography work. hes looking at a mac pro. but at 1/3 of the cost for my pc, and if it can destroy his laptop in render times he might do it. just hard to find info on it

Well there is the point that the software still runs good, the 17 inch I had ran without much issue though I needed to use a 3rd party program to boost the fans as these things get mighty hot.

As for looking good, some ones might this one looks like it has been to all wars that happened between late 2006 and now, dents, missing screws, missing key caps, scratches and what not :P

As for questioning it I am just too curious (one of my primary flaws) so I ask the questions :) That bottle of single malt is a certainty however, got my dad a 14 year old Balvenie on Caribbean cask and upon tasting with him I feel like I might want one myself :)

"Hope, what a concept." - Deunan Knute