ATH-M50x or Beats Solo 2

legend8887

I listen to nearly every music genre and I play mostly FPS games. I know Beats get talked badly about but I think some people think they are halfway decent and they are aesthetically pleasing. Also they are about the same price.

What? How is this even a question.. M50X....

Beats are about the design, that's it. If you plan on listening to a wide range of music, not to mention gaming, they're dreadful.

I play mostly FPS games.

neither. I would never think of using my M50 for playing FPS games. maybe if I was playing euro Truck Simulator and zoning out to my music playlists.

It's a no brainer... M50x of course. If you are not wearing it on the go, get a ATH-AD700X with a clip on mic from Zalman or Modmic 4.0. You will get a better sound stage and better positional audio. You can also opt for the close back version if your background is noisy. 

If you're looking for best bass experience, solo 2. Although at that price, you might as well get mdr1r or sennheiser momentum.

I have hope on beats 3rd generation line, after all the second generation managed to get into innerfidelity's wall of fame.

Don't fall into the hate train, try momentum over ear and solo 2 first they're easy to find and try, judge them for yourself

What? How is this even a question.. M50X....

Beats are about the design, that's it. If you plan on listening to a wide range of music, not to mention gaming, they're dreadful.

It's a no brainer... M50x of course.

Care to explain this, or are you just jumping on the echo chamber train. Not to mention, M40x.

A million comparisons between various Beats and the ATH-M50(x).  I just picked one at random, and agree with the findings:

http://youtu.be/EpD5Q0Lwic8?t=3m24s

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

Care to explain this, or are you just jumping on the echo chamber train. Not to mention, M40x.

OP doesn't ask for suggestions, just which between the Solo and the M50X.

As for the explanation. The M50X has a far more balanced sound which is better if you listen to a variety of genres and is better in games too since you'll be able to hear more things clearly (though that's only so useful on a closed headset). Unless OP plans to listen exclusively to like the explosions in games or heavy bass the Beats will be lackluster compared to other products in a similar price range or cheaper (eg the M50X). That said I acknowledged the Beats' value as an accessory to be worn for aesthetics.

Pretty much all of this is common knowledge.

The thing is that the OP didn't say he wanted to listen to hip hop off his iphone...  no request for a strong bass emphasis at all (and the rolled off highs as a result).  For gaming I think you would want a more evenly balanced headphone (in this case, the ATH-M50X) and recommend you consider some open backed cans (with some conditions) for the largest sound field and positional audio, two things I value for FPS games in particular far more than I do exaggerated bass.

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

OP doesn't ask for suggestions, just which between the Solo and the M50X.

As for the explanation. The M50X has a far more balanced sound which is better if you listen to a variety of genres and is better in games too since you'll be able to hear more things clearly (though that's only so useful on a closed headset). Unless OP plans to listen exclusively to like the explosions in games or heavy bass the Beats will be lackluster compared to other products in a similar price range or cheaper (eg the M50X). That said I acknowledged the Beats' value as an accessory to be worn for aesthetics.

Pretty much all of this is common knowledge.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/time-rethink-beats-solo2-excellent

Pay particular attention to the measurements page. Hardly flat, but the M50(x) is also fairly colored for that matter, if you want to play the neutrality card.

Like I said, echo chamber choo-choo.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/time-rethink-beats-solo2-excellent

Pay particular attention to the measurements page. Hardly flat, but the M50(x) is also fairly colored for that matter, if you want to play the neutrality card.

Like I said, echo chamber choo-choo.

All aboard the mindless hate train. 

Well, OP listed either Beats Solo 2 or M50x. Since he is also gaming I recommended AD700x as an alternative.